TechDraw Template Autocompletion

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ragohix769

Re: TechDraw Template Autocompletion

Post by ragohix769 »

vanuan wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:08 pm Let's think at the higher level.
[cut]
Unfortunately, I have a feeling that FreeCAD has a different philosophy - it doesn't help users with enforcing standards or consistency. Instead, FreeCAD provides some tooling on top of which you build your own software. I think this philosophy sucks
I agree with you here. Damn right, and it's a pity.
Last edited by ragohix769 on Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

That's not necessarily because we don't want to, but because the effort to do so is high. If you want to move towards that direction, your contributions to do so would be appreciated.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

ragohix769 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:51 pm I agree with you here. Damn right, and it's a pity.
Please don't quote complete posts. We don't want to read everything twice. Cite only what you are directly referring to. You may elaborate what models you are doing and where exactly it would help.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vanuan

Post by vanuan »

kkremitzki wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:23 am That's not necessarily because we don't want to, but because the effort to do so is high. If you want to move towards that direction, your contributions to do so would be appreciated.
Good to hear. So, the simplest solution could be:
  • Create a root TechDraw document/workbook class/object
  • Modify getters of TechDraw page fields to check whether they have a document parent and return the fields from parent
  • If there's a parent, make certain fields of a page read-only/hidden. Possibly with an option to override.
  • Add actions/buttons/menus to rearrange the order of TechDraw pages
  • Display the page number in the object tree
Extra feature: display all the pages in a single MDI tab with Next/Prev page buttons.
After that: print all the pages in a single PDF. Possibly with ability to select page ranges to print
Somewhere in the future: deprecate rootless pages.

Sounds reasonable/doable?
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

chrisb wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:13 am Please don't quote complete posts.
Sorry. I edited the post now.
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

vanuan wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:08 pm ...
Are there any standards/file formats of technical drawing documents other than sheet-level graphical symbols like title block, line width, dimensions, etc?
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p335949
reox wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:21 pm I think there should be some kind of core set of fields, which are present in every standard. For ISO7200, the must-have items are:
Legal owner (eg company)
Part number
date of issue
Section / page number
title
Approving person
creator
Document Type
(google translated from german wikipedia)
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.