Add angle dimension to hole centres

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
SIXe

Add angle dimension to hole centres

Post by SIXe »

Hi,

I have problems adding angle dimensions to holes in TechDraw. I just don't know how it's done. See the example. There are three holes at different angles („Top“ view, here shown at the bottom).

How to add the angle dimensions? Also I'm confused about the dots displayed for the holes. I expect four (or six) dots to represent the holes. The right hole has only two dots, the middle hole has way too many. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here.

Code: Select all

OS: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid (X-Cinnamon/lightdm-xsession)
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.22284 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: bf1e8e48389f5e9e25bd77b67fe98da4213e797c
Python version: 3.8.5
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
Attachments
dimension-hole.FCStd
(212.76 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
domad
Veteran

Re: Add angle dimension to hole centres

Post by domad »

SIXe wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:57 pm Hi,

I have problems adding angle dimensions to holes in TechDraw. I just don't know how it's done. See the example. There are three holes at different angles („Top“ view, here shown at the bottom).

How to add the angle dimensions? Also I'm confused about the dots displayed for the holes. I expect four (or six) dots to represent the holes. The right hole has only two dots, the middle hole has way too many. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here.

Code: Select all

OS: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid (X-Cinnamon/lightdm-xsession)
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.22284 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: bf1e8e48389f5e9e25bd77b67fe98da4213e797c
Python version: 3.8.5
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
Hello SIXe

Greetings to the whole community!

Here is the correct technical drawing, attached the FC file revised in the layout.

As you can see, the two technical drawings, one made with another cad3D, have similarities, but the one made with an alternative cad has some peculiarities (more technical) that TechDraw cannot yet do, moreover the speed of execution of the technical drawing with TechDraw has been more slow.

In order to have these peculiarities and be faster it should be integrated with the tools that are specified in this post https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 9&start=30
Attachments
other cad3D.png
other cad3D.png (45.47 KiB) Viewed 2636 times
FreeCad_TechDraw.png
FreeCad_TechDraw.png (47.27 KiB) Viewed 2636 times
dimension-hole_3.FCStd
(60.1 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

domad wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:59 pm Here is the correct technical drawing, attached the FC file revised in the layout.
Would you mind explaining how you have done it?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

chrisb wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:44 pm Would you mind explaining how you have done it?
Hi chrisb,
yes I will do it with pleasure, I need some time to write all the steps step by step ... they can be much more useful for beginners
SIXe

Post by SIXe »

Thanks @domad for taking the time to create the drawing.

That's exactly what I wanted to achieve, but don't know *how*. Especially I'm interested in how you created those centre lines for the holes (in grey). There are no snapping points for those centre lines. Also I don't know how you created the angle between the holes and the vertical centre line. It can't be selected to add a dimension.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

SIXe wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:28 pm Thanks @domad for taking the time to create the drawing.

That's exactly what I wanted to achieve, but don't know *how*. Especially I'm interested in how you created those centre lines for the holes (in grey). There are no snapping points for those centre lines. Also I don't know how you created the angle between the holes and the vertical centre line. It can't be selected to add a dimension.
Hi SIXe,
I'm writing step ... step, as I already told chrisb.
I'm not a native English speaker so I need some time to do this. I hope to post it as soon as possible
SIXe

Post by SIXe »

domad wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:28 pm I'm writing step ... step, as I already told chrisb.
I'm not a native English speaker so I need some time to do this. I hope to post it as soon as possible
No pressure. Take your time. Your help is much appreciated. I'm in no rush, just learning and practicing the basics.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

SIXe wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:40 pm No pressure. Take your time. Your help is much appreciated. I'm in no rush, just learning and practicing the basics.
Very well!
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

SIXe wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:57 pm How to add the angle dimensions?
Liberal application of center lines will help.
dimension-hole_angles.png
dimension-hole_angles.png (39.85 KiB) Viewed 2524 times
Also I'm confused about the dots displayed for the holes. I expect four (or six) dots to represent the holes. The right hole has only two dots, the middle hole has way too many. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here.
It isn't you. It is a problem in OCC. Use the perspective projector with a long focus length. It will often produce a better projection that the orthogonal projector.
Attachments
dimension-hole_angles.FCStd
(214.79 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
SIXe

Post by SIXe »

wandererfan wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:29 am Liberal application of center lines will help.
Sort-of. What I've tried:

- Horiz Center Line: True
- Vert Center Line: True
- Perspective: True
- Focus: 1km

That results in sane snapping points and centre lines. Then I tried adding centre lines for the holes like that:

- Select the two snapping points for a hole
- "Add centerline between two points"
- Aligned: ✓
- Extended By: 25mm
- Colour: #7f7f7f

Centre line appears. So far so good.

But it's not possible to create an angle dimension between the vertical centre line and the newly created hole centre lines. Why? The function "Insert Angle Dimension" does not snap to the vertical centre line. It can't be selected.

However, if I create another vertical centre line manually it works, though. But then I don't understand the idea behind the vertical/horizontal centre line option. And manually creating centre lines if TD has a dedicated centre line option feels like a workaround.

So to conclude my problems why I failed to create the drawings: The snapping point bug + the inability to add dimensions to centre lines (which there might be a solution for).
wandererfan wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:29 am It isn't you. It is a problem in OCC. Use the perspective projector with a long focus length. It will often produce a better projection that the orthogonal projector.
I had opened another thread to clarify the snapping point question: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=49998 Your workaround fixes the issue. Is there a bug report already for this issue? (You can post the reply in the other thread.)