Break Line

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
AlexCAD

Break Line

Post by AlexCAD »

Hi all!

I try to create a tech draw of a very long but thin part. If I scale that the length fit the top view is too small and if the top view fits the length is too long for the drawing. Is there a "break line" function so that both views can have the same scaling but the long part is fitting on the drawing (and is broken apart in the middle)?

Thanks!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Break Line

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

This is not implemented yet.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:06 pm This is not implemented yet.
Is there a ticket for this ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It was discussed before and I think that wandererfan has it on his personal todo list.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ToniTen

Post by ToniTen »

Since Wandererfan has taken a leave of absence, and this is IMHO something that is quite useful, is there any path forward for this feature? I wish I could help, but this kind of coding is way out of my league.

In case anyone is interested, here's how SolidWorks does it
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can create a feature request in the tracker. Crosslink it with this and - if you find it - the old discussion.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Good evening to the Community, welcome to the new year, we hope that at least it will be better than 2020.

FC-TechDraw already has the tools to accomplish this, as I told chrisb I will soon publish a small guide to explain how to do this and more. TechDraw without limits.
Attachments
TechDraw_long-shaft.png
TechDraw_long-shaft.png (123.59 KiB) Viewed 3908 times
ToniTen

Post by ToniTen »

domad wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:56 pm Good evening to the Community, welcome to the new year, we hope that at least it will be better than 2020.

FC-TechDraw already has the tools to accomplish this, as I told chrisb I will soon publish a small guide to explain how to do this and more. TechDraw without limits.
Awesome! This looks really good!

Even if the guide will surely explain it in detail, could you give me some pointers to how you got this? I've researched the wiki, and tried all the options I could think of, and could not find any way to get anywhere close to this. I tried looking at your design tree, but I got nothing useful out of it. I'm still a newbie when it comes to Freecad, so I could have easily overlooked something critical

Alternatively, if you could share the freecad file, I could at least try to reverse engineer what you did.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

ToniTen wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:14 pm ............
Awesome! This looks really good!

Even if the guide will surely explain it in detail, could you give me some pointers to how you got this? I've researched the wiki, and tried all the options I could think of, and could not find any way to get anywhere close to this. I tried looking at your design tree, but I got nothing useful out of it. I'm still a newbie when it comes to Freecad, so I could have easily overlooked something critical

Alternatively, if you could share the freecad file, I could at least try to reverse engineer what you did.
Hello ToniTen! Good evening to the community
Sorry if I reply late, but I was already working to give you as complete an answer as possible.
Here you will find what you ask for: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=54499
Buon lavoro e sperimentazione! :)
enakcm

Post by enakcm »

So I just wanted to share my solution for this:
  • Create the view you would like to use for a break line
  • Create an identical copy of this view
  • Create two empty clip groups and put the two views in each
  • Adjust positions of the views inside the clip groups and the sizes and positions of the clip groups so that they align perfectly
  • Use the Leaderline to add a break line to each of the clip groups
  • Add dimensions as needed.
Here is an example result:
img.PNG
img.PNG (6.18 KiB) Viewed 3295 times