Arrowheads on diameters

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
CrashedAgain

Arrowheads on diameters

Post by CrashedAgain »

Is it possible to eliminate the 2nd arrowhead on diameter dimensions? Second one is not needed and just clutters up the drawing....
Attachments
TooManyArrowheads.png
TooManyArrowheads.png (24 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Arrowheads on diameters

Post by chrisb »

The double arrow seems to be the default in all four standards implemented. You can choose different stages of suppressing the second arrow with the property RenderingExtent, to be found in the view attributes.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
CrashedAgain

Post by CrashedAgain »

Ah- ha! Found it (after much searching). Set "rendering" to "minimal" does it. Who'd have thought??

Seriously, this is pretty obscure, and it looks like it will have to be manually set for every individual diameter dimension.

Could we please have an option to "suppress second arrowhead on dimensions" either in the property editor or in preferences?
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Hello!
CrashedAgain wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:49 pm Seriously, this is pretty obscure
What is about that obscure? That is the standard, equal ISO or ANSI. And for some visual situation, like yours, you can edit the arrows.

Greetings
user1234
CrashedAgain

Post by CrashedAgain »

By "obscure", l meant that, although the ability is there, l don't think the average user would ever have thought that setting "rendering" to "minimal" would have meant suppressing the second arrowhead.
It may be that this is explained somewhere in some manual but I couldn't find it. And I did a considerable amount of search and Google before posting.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Not rendering. As chrisb wrote above
chrisb wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:13 am RenderingExtent
. And this is not about only for the arrows, this are also for directions and other things.

Per sé it is good for learning FreeCAD that to open the properties tab and look on all options (also in 3D). Because than you can see what can be done with every object/element and check how FreeCAD works. And for me, my workflow is to control everything in the properties tab. This sounds odd, but it is really nice. At the first time (i came from CATIA), this was unfamiliar, but after one month it goes in the blood you can see that is a better and faster workflow. Just saying.

Greetings
user1234
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

user1234 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:08 pm Per sé it is good for learning FreeCAD that to open the properties tab and look on all options (also in 3D).
That is exactly how I found it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
CrashedAgain

Post by CrashedAgain »

Re: "Standards"
I did a bunch of searching for acceptable methods of dimensioning round objects, starting with just a google search for "dimensioning diameters" and following a large number of leads including adding "iso standard" and "asme standard" in the search. limiting to "images was the most informative. ASME offered no information at all, just wanted me to shell out for their book.

I'm just including the above in case anybody wants to try the search themselves.

The result was that (see attached examples) 1) The preferred method is image 1, with extension lines without the circle. If that is not possible, then almost all the examples used method 2, where the dimension is placed outside the circle and the second arrowhead is removed. As far as I could see, there was no support at all for method 3, where the second arrowhead is retained but there is no inside extension lines.

Prior to 0.19, Tech Draw did exactly that.....defaulted to dimension and extension lines inside the circle if there was room, suppressed the second arrowhead if there was no inside extension lines.
Attachments
Diameter1.png
Diameter1.png (5.88 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
Diameter2.png
Diameter2.png (5.54 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
Diameter3.png
Diameter3.png (4.92 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Did you tested some properties? Try that.
Attachments
1.png
1.png (12.46 KiB) Viewed 2364 times
CrashedAgain

Post by CrashedAgain »

Yes. Changing the "rendering" to "minimal" gets rid of the second arrowhead, but must be done manually for each diameter dimension individually.
There should be a way to set it to be the default (which it was in 0.18).