issues on creating centerlines

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dr who

issues on creating centerlines

Post by dr who »

Hi,

I have two situations, where I don't know, how to add centerlines.
First one is a hole, which is partly closed (selected face is open):
FC_Centerline_face.png
FC_Centerline_face.png (14.19 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
Only face of the "open" part of the hole can be selected. Other face is smaller than line thickness of solid lines. That results in centerline with wrong offset.
I don't like to guess, what the offset is, so I'd like to create a centerline from the existing elements.
As the circle is the only element, that is selectable and contains the whole circle, Centerline (horizontal and vertical) of a circle would be a nice feature :)

Yeah, changing radio button from centerline creation dialog to checkbox, so that horizontal and vertical lines could be created in one job - would be a nice extension too :)

Second situation where I can't create centerlines is this:
FC_Centerline_2_lines.png
FC_Centerline_2_lines.png (8.15 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
I selected two lines (yes, they are hidden lines) and choose "centerline between two lines".
FC pops the error "endpoints are equal ... check parameters".
I have no idea, which parameters I should check.
If the parameters from centerline creation dialog are referred, they are correct.
Selected lines are vertical and vertical centerline should be created.
I even tried aligned centerline, but that fails too.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: issues on creating centerlines

Post by chrisb »

There was an issue with such selections, but when I tried to reproduce I had no problems, even with very small circles (radius 1mm, scale 0.5). So please try the current 0.19 with its numerous TechDraw improvements.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dr who

Post by dr who »

So please try the current 0.19 with its numerous TechDraw improvements
I wanted to do so, but current (22522) fails on closing sketcher (endless loop without ui response).
So I switched back to the elder version, which is 22492 - don't have any newer.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

dr who wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:14 am So I switched back to the elder version, which is 22492 - don't have any newer.
I don't guess that TecDraw changed since then. Can you upload the file with step-by-step instruction how to reproduce?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dr who

Post by dr who »

When you open the file, you can't miss the partial open hole.
The open task is to create a vertical dimension to the top-border of the part.

With "view frames" enabled, the center cross of the circles is visible - but if you create a dimension between centercross and top-border the dimensions helper lines start outside of the part without relation to the element, it belongs to.
You can move the dimension to the other side of the part, so that the helper lines cross the whole part, but that looks ugly.

Therefore a centerline would be nice to use as base for dimension.
Attachments
Außenschiene.FCStd
(65.28 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You mean like that?
Snip macro screenshot-37c850.png
Snip macro screenshot-37c850.png (4.69 KiB) Viewed 886 times
It works here so it must be something in the settings, I will have a look at them.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Perhaps it is one of the scales? Please note that some of the values are only presets for new drawings.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-04 um 10.23.35.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-04 um 10.23.35.png (72.02 KiB) Viewed 884 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I found the discussion about center mark scale: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=36697, but that problem seems to be the other way round.
dr who

Post by dr who »

You mean like that?
Yes, that's the ugly variant, that I don't want.

With "view frames" enabled, you could create a dimension of existing vertices to get the size of the center offset ...
But if you enter that offset in center line creation dialog, it does not work, as techdraw uses different units than 3D-model. So after all, centerline offset is just a guess.