Create a technical drawing

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Michal

Create a technical drawing

Post by Michal »

Hi all,

I need your help. I did several drawings in TechDraw but this time it's difficult and I don't even know if it is possible. I would be grateful for tips and advices.

I need to send this technical drawing for manufacturing.

Here is the final design (FreeCad v0.19):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zX2hF9 ... sp=sharing

The pulley (T10, with 28 tooth) is created in openScad and then all the inner features are made in FreeCAD.

Attachments
pulley.png
pulley.png (45.15 KiB) Viewed 3751 times
domad
Veteran

Re: Create a technical drawing

Post by domad »

Michal wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:41 pm Hi all,

I need your help. I did several drawings in TechDraw but this time it's difficult and I don't even know if it is possible. I would be grateful for tips and advices.

I need to send this technical drawing for manufacturing.

Here is the final design (FreeCad v0.19):

The pulley (T10, with 28 tooth) is created in openScad and then all the inner features are made in FreeCAD.

Hi Michal, what times are there? Since no one is proposing, I could work on it this weekend.
Michal

Post by Michal »

Hi domad,

no hurries. There is plenty of time. Thank for your reply. Do you have any ideas?

I actually got one after couple hours.

I though I could use symmetry and say that the pulley repeats every 120°. But I'm not sure if this is possible. It requires a little bit playing around with lines etc. But in general it might work.
There are some "issues" like four mounting holes for the hub they are not fit for 120° and the section is not quite right too.

(I did use simplified part since the openScad feature is terrible slow. And the 120° part I created with Groove feature from full pulley)

This is just an idea and a draft:
kolo.png
kolo.png (57.15 KiB) Viewed 3650 times
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Michal wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:10 am Hi domad,
no hurries. There is plenty of time. Thank for your reply. Do you have any ideas?
I actually got one after couple hours.
I though I could use symmetry and say that the pulley repeats every 120°. But I'm not sure if this is possible. It requires a little bit playing around with lines etc. But in general it might work.
There are some "issues" like four mounting holes for the hub they are not fit for 120° and the section is not quite right too.
(I did use simplified part since the openScad feature is terrible slow. And the 120° part I created with Groove feature from full pulley)
This is just an idea and a draft:
Hi, Michal
This is essentially the technical drawing that needs to be produced in TechDraw.
I hope to do it, as I anticipated, on the weekend also through another sw, as some dimensions in TechDraw, at the moment, cannot be inserted and then because it is very slow.
I will also try to do this through the use of Draft's "Creates a dimension" (lightening the model a little)
Attachments
1.png
1.png (37.12 KiB) Viewed 3594 times
Michal

Post by Michal »

Hi domad,

that's wonderful how you approach this I'll definitely try it myself. I see the main problem here in the slowness.

I tried to draw the pulley from scratch but I was not successful due to overlapping issues when PolarPattern was used. So I used a openScad and a generator https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:16627

Do think that there is another way how to avoid openScad and thus the slowness?

Fillets and chambers - I usually do them as a last thing. This time I forgot add fillets at all. I'm sorry for that here is a new file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CIA0S2 ... sp=sharing
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Michal wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:17 pm Hi domad,

that's wonderful how you approach this I'll definitely try it myself. I see the main problem here in the slowness.

I tried to draw the pulley from scratch but I was not successful due to overlapping issues when PolarPattern was used. So I used a openScad and a generator....

Do think that there is another way how to avoid openScad and thus the slowness?

Fillets and chambers - I usually do them as a last thing. This time I forgot add fillets at all. I'm sorry for that here is a new file.
Hi, Michal
I attach the technical drawing in * .pdf format made with another cad.
At present it is difficult and slow to do it with TechDraw or with "Creates a dimension" in Draft.
Attachments
technical_drawing_pulley.pdf
(215.35 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
tec.png
tec.png (110.39 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
Michal

Post by Michal »

Hi domad,

it's great job what have you done. I really appreciate it. Thank you.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Michal wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:47 am Hi domad,
it's great job what have you done. I really appreciate it. Thank you.
Good evening to the whole community!
Hi Michal
Here is the result of the technical drawing made with the Draft tools and with “Creates a dimension”.
The layout is very reminiscent of that of autocad, that is, directly in the model view (it is an anomalous (although functional) way of paging because layouts very similar to TechDraw sheets are available in that cad but immensely more flexible and powerful.
If these tools were integrated into TechDraw, any technical drawing (of any field) could be made without any limitation.
Once again Draft proves to be much more flexible and powerful than TechDraw.
Attachments
technical_drawing_pulley-draft.pdf
(68.72 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Tec-Draft_pdf.png
Tec-Draft_pdf.png (102.52 KiB) Viewed 3116 times
Tec-Draft1.png
Tec-Draft1.png (68.44 KiB) Viewed 3116 times
Tec-Draft2.png
Tec-Draft2.png (40.37 KiB) Viewed 3116 times
Tec-Draft3.png
Tec-Draft3.png (88.34 KiB) Viewed 3116 times
Michal

Post by Michal »

The result:
pulley.jpeg
pulley.jpeg (190.88 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
Thanks. :-)
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Michal wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:56 am The result:
Thanks. :-)
Hi Michal, greetings to the Community!
Great result! The warmest congratulations! (I'm "open-mouthed") :o :o :shock: :shock:
The realization of a project fills us with great satisfaction, this demonstration of yours makes FreeCad bigger and bigger. This is a great demonstration that FreeCad is ripe with flying colors for professional and industrial use. In these past months I have continued undaunted in the study of possible solutions to use TechDraw without "limitations" and finally I have made public a workflow that allows you to use TechDraw at maximum power. Today it can also count on a macro (already in the master) developed by a large “edi” that further enriches and speeds up the dimensioning and tracing tools with which TechDraw is equipped.
Here you can find the English tutorial (step-by-step) of the workflow: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=54499
Here the wiki: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Advanced_TechDraw_Tutorial
Here the topic and the macro of "edi": https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=55029
I think (as advice) you should post the post on the "Users Showcase" forum
Greetings by renewing the best compliments!