"Can't make faces from projected edges" error [SOLVED]

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ragohix769

"Can't make faces from projected edges" error [SOLVED]

Post by ragohix769 »

Cannot display some faces traced with Sketcher and/or converted for Draft, in TechDraw. Tried to validate the sketcher (made raparation), but the faces are still not visibile for hatching/decorate walls, roof, etc etc.

Edit: the cause was a very bad sketch model with a lot of hole, without constraint and not closed nodes.
Attachments
prova_001.FCStd
Example file TD with no face - FC Daily build 0.20
(140.38 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Last edited by ragohix769 on Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
mendy

Re: "Can't make faces from projected edges" error

Post by mendy »

Maybe try this, use your Shape2DView, will have to scale as when inserted it is larger than template at Scale 1.000 (just chose 0.050 as a start point.
Attachments
hat.jpg
hat.jpg (407.38 KiB) Viewed 2646 times
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

mendy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:25 pm Maybe try this, use your Shape2DView, will have to scale as when inserted it is larger than template at Scale 1.000 (just chose 0.050 as a start point.
Thanks a lot! :-)

I tried and it's true: i've seen that if I insert a draw that it's not too scaled down, the faces are working in TD. Maybe it's a bug?
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

I've seen too that faces are totally incorrect: closed faces for walls, in example, are there selected with other stuff. I tried to validate the sketch closing it and the removing all constraints, but without success. As you can see in the image, floor face is in the same face with walls.
Attachments
we.png
we.png (157.05 KiB) Viewed 2617 times
mendy

Post by mendy »

Quickly created new sketch of your Sketch002_convertita sketch which is a total mess.
Inserted Shape2DView001 into page and scaled down so it fits on page and all faces are selectable.
Go through @chrisb's tutorial at:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=30104

In TechDraw you will have to scale down as it comes in at 527 or so inches and don't believe there is a printer of that size.
Attachments
Hatch.jpg
Hatch.jpg (172.05 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
prova_001 nsketch.FCStd
(157.01 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

mendy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:10 pm Quickly created new sketch of your Sketch002_convertita sketch which is a total mess.
Thank you.

The sketch you have seen "messed" was an experiment retraced on squeezed bluprint on paper scanned and imported as image :-) (deleted from the project)
The right sketch was another, anyway it's not that the problem.
Inserted Shape2DView001 into page and scaled down so it fits on page and all faces are selectable.
Go through @chrisb's tutorial at:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=30104

In TechDraw you will have to scale down as it comes in at 527 or so inches and don't believe there is a printer of that size.
I have an A1 template in TD and to insert an 1:100 scale draw, I have to scale to 0,01 as I have seen. But maybe i'm wrong here, it's possible, but the problem it's not that because even at scale 0,05 some sketches don't reveal faces when imported to TD. I have seen that you project always your sketch to a 2D draft and then you have this shape2D imported on TD: is this mandatory?

Because if I insert on TD directly my sketches, if I make some modification on the sketch, I can see it automatically in TD, this is very useful IMHO.

It's there some good Techdraw manual/documention like that for sketcher made by Chris?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mendy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:10 pm In TechDraw you will have to scale down as it comes in at 527 or so inches and don't believe there is a printer of that size.
Off topic: There are some really big printers: https://www1.wdr.de/fernsehen/lokalzeit ... r-100.html .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mendy

Post by mendy »

Off Topic: Good One @chrisb. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On topic: OP modify the sketch in file I sent and you will see the changes reflected in the sheet.
Not sure what your goal is but maybe look into the BIM workbench which would probably reduce your workload and there are some good tutorials on YouTube.
ragohix769 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:42 pm The right sketch was another, anyway it's not that the problem
Have a sample file with just the one good sketch?
Attachments
Hatch 2.jpg
Hatch 2.jpg (160.82 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

mendy wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:34 pm On topic: OP modify the sketch in file I sent and you will see the changes reflected in the sheet.
Not sure what your goal is but maybe look into the BIM workbench which would probably reduce your workload and there are some good tutorials on YouTube.
My goal it's to create a 2D CAD version of very old paper blueprints that I have to work with. I don't need to create a 3D model of all, but only some parts of the blueprints. The other parts I have to take it on draw anyway, so I'd like to see if Sketcher it's valable option to retrace these old papers, but has to be fast e simple, here it's not import, for my needs, the absolute precision. With draft I cannot constraint easily like in sketcher (that I like a lot), but in Sketcher sometime I have problem on creating fast lines because there is no snap I have to constrain all. And I find very difficult to avoid or repair hole created by manual inster error that after in TD I cannot hatch with the message error in the original topic. I tried too with "validate sketch" but it's no working.
Have a sample file with just the one good sketch?
Yes, here it is.
prova_002.FCStd
@used_FC_0.20_daily_build
(163.66 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
mendy

Post by mendy »

Think you need to look at your sketcher skills.
The file you posted has no sketch for View and on page you will notice that you cannot select the small squares on the door? openings.
Did a quick file to show just small section and what a missing constraint will cause for you. Look at page and you will see that all squares are selectable and in view with just one missing constraint (I removed it) the face selection options change. Didn't bother to totally replicate the the view failure. Just looked at prospetto_sud and on page left lower roof not selectable. In that sketch 2 constraints are missing, adding makes it selectable.
Plenty of tools in PD Sketch. Trim might help. Do the tutorial, in the prova_001 nsketch.FCStd file the sketch was very quickly created using PD Sketch on top of your sketch similar to your using image. Grap points and try to move.

Aha @chrisb dawned on me overnight the video of printer was using OP's drawing to build house. :D :D :D
Attachments
Cmissing.FCStd
(22.78 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Cmissing.jpg
Cmissing.jpg (97.77 KiB) Viewed 2386 times
Cmissing 2.jpg
Cmissing 2.jpg (80.31 KiB) Viewed 2386 times