Edge midpoint fix

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Pauvres_honteux

Re: Edge midpoint fix

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

Hmm, any chance we can come terms with the denotion "length"?
Are we talking about the arc length between two points or the shortest possible way (straight line) between two points?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

domad wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:18 pm its length can also be indicated as a development in TechDraw using the macro "TechDrawTools V 0.4.2-multilanguage" by @edi and domad
Can you please provide this via AddonManager.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

domad wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:18 pm In my opinion we are wrong to underestimate FreeCad thinking that it is not able to accurately identify the midpoint of any spline and / or compound curve [tpavlicek writes:… ..The arc length is 105.05mm (could be verified using online ellipse circumference calculators ) ……] probably because he has not thoroughly studied the tools available to FreeCad.
This is a quite insulting statement. Thomas spotted a real bug and fixed it. TechDraw as it is offers to set a midpoint and this mechanism failed. Now it is fixed and that's it. The PR can go in.

It is good to see that we have addons around with further nice features, but that doesn't mean that the basic functions can stay working wrongly.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:39 pm .....................
This is a quite insulting statement. Thomas spotted a real bug and fixed it. TechDraw as it is offers to set a midpoint and this mechanism failed. Now it is fixed and that's it. The PR can go in.
Hi uwestoehr, greetings to the community!

So my answer is an "offensive statement", rather than an instructive and constructive technique that allows us to circumvent many other types of "bugs", much more serious, which often lead to the abandonment of FreeCad in favor of the usual commercial cads.
Instead I am firmly convinced that my reply indicates, unequivocally, alternative solutions on how to find the center in curves regardless of the type and degree (Bezier, conic, spline, etc.) not only in TechDraw but and above all in the 3D space/view and how to verify the correspondence through a precise measurement.
I just can't understand how a sound technical reply can be associated/confused with an offensive statement.
Excuse me (!), I assure you that I have not mistaken the FC forum for a "social network", I am convinced that I am in a forum with a high technical profile and therefore my intellect interprets the replies "always (!)" As "healthy constructive criticism "(even if not perfectly in line with the argument) and non-destructive or worse still offensive.
In my opinion it is an offense (technical!) towards FreeCad to write “.. The arc length is 105.05mm (could be verified using online ellipse circumference calculators) ....”
The bug to be considered as such and also "serious" for FC, for example, is the non-functioning/activation of the midpoint snap on these curves, the "offensive replica" explains how to "circumvent" this "serious" deficiency.
Speaking of cars, I often say that an engineer-designer always needs a good driver to verify the fruit of his work, in the same way an excellent programmer may not be an excellent user of his own software, the reasons for this are extremely intuitive.
With the hope that this reply will not be interpreted as "offensive"

A cordial greeting, extended to the Community and long life to FC!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

domad wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:57 pm So my answer is an "offensive statement",
No big problem but you know, they way how to say something makes the difference, not the plain content.

"probably because he has not thoroughly studied the tools available to FreeCad"

is a personal criticism, especially as you spoke not to him directly but about him.

However, next time we all make it better. :) I am also no angel and should look more often to ;) :
Last edited by uwestoehr on Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

uwestoehr wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:50 pm .................
Thanks for the kind reply and for your time dedicated to FreeCad,
sometimes when you are not a native language it is very difficult to expose the concept or the replica with the right words, even more so if you rely in part on automatic translators who are not able (at the moment) to interpret the meaning and tone of the discussion .....
Sincerely good evening and good work! :P