"Cosmetic line"

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Evgeniy

Re: "Cosmetic line"

Post by Evgeniy »

domad wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:48 am
Evgeniy wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:21 pm ......
Hello, greetings to the community!
... how about: "DraftTD objects"
Hi, greetings!
I don't know... I've looked only a part of translates...
Techdraw is seems to me as an important workbench that requires more detailed work.
(Thats very strange but Techdraw texts have a much number of capital letters in words. In other workbenches, there seems to be no such thing).
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

chrisb wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:35 pm .......
Evgeniy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:13 pm ......
Hello, greetings to the community!
... with DraftTD "objects" I meant:
DraftTD-line; DraftTD-circle; DraftTD-point; etc., I have entered Draft to indicate that they are objects similar to those of the Draft workbench but exclusive to TechDraw.
However it could also be Complementing "objects":
Complementary -line, Complementary-circle, Complementary-point, etc.
or as suggested Auxiliary "objects":
Auxiliary-line, Auxiliary-circle, Auxiliary-point, etc.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Evgeniy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:42 am Of course i can be wrong, but that's smells of an inaccurate translation of a technical term into English from other language.

@chrisb what wikipedia tells about cosmetics lines? I didn't find anything.
http://help.solidworks.com/2021/english ... hreads.htm

Please write a ticket to SolidWorks customer support to tell them their English is poor and their feature name is rubbish, then post here the link. That will for sure make my day. :mrgreen:
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

openBrain wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:22 pm ......
Greetings to the Community!
....I can not believe my eyes :o
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

openBrain wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:22 pm Please write a ticket to SolidWorks customer support to tell them their English is poor and their feature name is rubbish, then post here the link. That will for sure make my day. :mrgreen:
:lol:

It would indeed be interesting to see how responsive the big boy are.

Nevertheless I have to admit that their usage of cosmetic is even closer to what wikipedia says, but FreeCAD's usage is very close as well.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

openBrain wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:22 pm
Evgeniy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:42 am Of course i can be wrong, but that's smells of an inaccurate translation of a technical term into English from other language.

@chrisb what wikipedia tells about cosmetics lines? I didn't find anything.

Please write a ticket to SolidWorks customer support to tell them their English is poor and their feature name is rubbish, then post here the link. That will for sure make my day. :mrgreen:
At the moment I am working on FreeCAD and who buy SolidWorks for money let him worry about SolidWorks.

Adding axis threads is a fairly well-known problem when converting a 3d model into a drawing.
But "Cosmetic threads" is not "Cosmetic Lines" and "Cosmetic vertex". But you can use "cosmetic lines" for draw threads as option.
And where link to "cosmetic vertex" in SolidWorks?

Everything related to "cosmetics" in this docs, is only "cosmetic threads".
http://help.solidworks.com/SearchEx.asp ... SULTS%3d25
Ok openBrain you can make tool for add threads to drawings and and name it as "Cosmetic thread".
But I would just call it as "Add thread"

SolidWorks is not "holy grail" but...
for example what is translated in TechDraw as "Balloon" in SolidWorks is translated as "Location Leader"
http://help.solidworks.com/2021/english ... eaders.htm

What you think about balloons in drawing?

And... Make youre day by youreself please!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Evgeniy wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:44 am What you think about balloons in drawing?
Not sure what you are trying to say, but I understood the notion "balloon" immediately when it was introduced without the need to think any further about it. So I think it describes very good what it is used for.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Evgeniy wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:44 am ...
Don't get me wrong. Discussing naming is fine. Just don't argue that 'cosmetic' isn't technical enough or whatever to be used in a CAD software. Other did. And maybe I pointed you to where the coder get inspiration from. ;)
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

I'd prefer auxiliary, too!

I have never been tempted to translate cosmetic as kosmetisch into German in this case.
Hilfslinie and Hilfspunkt are less misleading or confusing than the original terms.

Balloons: The last 20 years, for me, balloon represented only the circular symbol at the end of a leader line in contrast of the other shapes such as sqare, rectangle, triangle, and zeppelin (more as a nickname for what is listed as inspection in the balloon preferences).
And so it seems odd to me to use balloon as a generic term.
Evgeniy

Post by Evgeniy »

FBXL5 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:56 pm Balloons: The last 20 years, for me, balloon represented only the circular symbol at the end of a leader line in contrast of the other shapes such as sqare, rectangle, triangle, and zeppelin (more as a nickname for what is listed as inspection in the balloon preferences).
And so it seems odd to me to use balloon as a generic term.
I think what is called as "Balloon" is some kind type of "Leader"
Maybe that is "Position Leader".