Create orthogonal view to a line

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
derNiwi

Create orthogonal view to a line

Post by derNiwi »

Hi,

I'm still struggling with changing the view for TechDraw. It is not a problem to create a TechDraw page with a view orthogonal to a face, I want to change the view orthogonal to an edge / line for measuring the angle between two faces.

I created a small example.
FreeCAD Test Anlge measuring.png
FreeCAD Test Anlge measuring.png (8.84 KiB) Viewed 2956 times
As I said, I can create a page for the top and the bottom side, but if I use any of the projections it will not give me the angle between the top and one side. So I need something like a section cut for a side, orthogonal to an edge which will be used to place a view on it.

I've found this entry: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=22989
But is there an easy way or something like a macro?

Regards
Nils
Attachments
test2.FCStd
(17.87 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
domad
Veteran

Re: Create orthogonal view to a line

Post by domad »

derNiwi wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:03 am ......
Hi derNiwi, greetings to the community!
Here are some solutions .... the third solution involves drawing lines to reference the plane and then align the view.
Attachments
first_solution.gif
first_solution.gif (977.11 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
second_solution.gif
second_solution.gif (988.24 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
third_solution.gif
third_solution.gif (799.23 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
derNiwi

Post by derNiwi »

Hi domad,

the third solution is the one which should help me.
Is there a thread where I can get more information?
1st is to create a orthogonal line to one edge. This is not really a problem, but only the end point can be used for orthogonality…
2nd is to create a line orthogonal to both lines from point 1…

Thank you
Nils
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

derNiwi wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:12 am .......
Hi derNiwi, greetings to the Community!
I don't think there are many topics about it.
You have to be a little more creative / inventive, in the sense of making the most of the functionality of the tools you have available in particular in the "Draft" workbench. ;)
In this regard, I often apply the method of creating a triad of axes (using lines and snaps) exploiting the possibility of drawing a line on the edge and then duplicating it by appropriately rotating this duplicate to create the orthogonality I was looking for; or create a cube (workbench Part) align it to the edge I am interested in, and then use the planes of the cube (which are all orthogonal to each other) to align the work plane on which I intend to build.
This technique allows me to limit the use of "datum" tools allowing me to streamline the creative structure of the model.
I hope I made it clear in briefly describing my techniques used to determine alignments.
In any case, here you can find ideas:
- https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=59334
- https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=54499
- https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 2&start=10
derNiwi

Post by derNiwi »

Hi, this is what I‘m looking for. In your third example you use two orthogonal lines as base for a kund of plane or face. I‘m able to create a line in draft WB which is orthogonal to one of the edge of my object. However, it seems not possible to start from an edge and create an orthogonal line, only from somewhere and end up on an edge (sometimes it would be nice to start from an dedicated point, but that‘s for future use). However I do not get it managed to create a second line which is orthogonal to the first and the edge…

Can you please help me on this step?

Edit: since this is a simple example I like not to use the base origins, in my other project the faces and edges are not aligned to some default settings…

Regards
Nils
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

derNiwi wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:52 am .....
Can you please help me on this step?
Hello, greetings to the community!
.... here are the steps
Attachments
planes for job alignment.gif
planes for job alignment.gif (993.41 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
derNiwi

Post by derNiwi »

Thank you, after several tries and a restart of FreeCAD 0.20 I can now reproduce this example.

In my other project I can't even do the 90° rotation of Line001 - it results in an 175.77 degree rotated line and I entered 90 degrees...

The problem seems that the reference line is not paralell to the coordination system. If I use the object in this test file and rotate in om the y axis with 20° I also can't create the third line orthogonal to the other two.
test3.png
test3.png (35.67 KiB) Viewed 2707 times
Attachments
test3.FCStd
(28.06 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

derNiwi wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:28 pm .......
Hello, greetings to the Community!
.... when the instruments behave abnormally (chosen work surface does not align with the face of the body) you have to look for alternative ways ... here is a solution (but others can also be found) ;)
Attachments
test3.gif
test3.gif (978.53 KiB) Viewed 2669 times
derNiwi

Post by derNiwi »

It seems easier to create a sketch on a face and use the line as external part. I create a rectangle and extrude it.

Of course this will only work if there is a layer like plane.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

derNiwi wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:45 am It seems easier to create a sketch on a face and use the line as external part. I create a rectangle and extrude it.

Of course this will only work if there is a layer like plane.
Hello, greetings to the community

... the aim is to become familiar with the "alignment" and "work planes" techniques, not on how to build the cube (on your file "test3.FCStd", the one attached to your replica, you can align the countertop with a face?)