"Freeze" a view

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
CrashedAgain

"Freeze" a view

Post by CrashedAgain »

Is there a way to "freeze" a view so that it does not update?

For instance, suppose you have an assembly of three or four objects and you put an exploded view of the parts on a tech draw page, then you want to reassemble the parts so you can add them to an assembly drawing using A2Plus.
When you reassemble them, tech draw recalculates the positions and the exploded view is lost.
Is there a way to "freeze" that view so that does not happen?
heron

Re: "Freeze" a view

Post by heron »

You can use the Draft Shape2DView tool, and then downgrade the Shape2DView generated in order to remove parameterization. Then you insert this object in your techdraw drawing.

I suppose it won't be the best way to do this, but it is what I ended up doing once I had this same problem with a small and not important project.

Maybe it can help.

Cheers!!!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

For a whole page you can set "Keep updated" to False.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
CrashedAgain

Post by CrashedAgain »

That's probably the easiest solution.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

You're going to get into trouble if you're closing and reopening your file. The TD page is blank until you're recomputing it. And then you're going to have the same problem again. Of course you could turn visibilities on and off again but that's not very practical I'd say.

Instead create your assemblies and create a copy (Part WB) of each possible assembly. Use those in your TD documents.

edit:
Had a look at an thread of mine. Another solution is to not select the whole assembly. Instead only select the parts you'd like to show and create the TD view with those. Here's the thread I'm talking about: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51302