Tech Draw- limitations bogging down - any work arounds

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Loz3dtech

Tech Draw- limitations bogging down - any work arounds

Post by Loz3dtech »

I have searched and found bits and pieces of information scattered around in regards to Tech Draw before posting and thought I would find dedicated information under Tech draw.
Freecad is a fantastic program. I am only a recent user, it has its querks but I have always found a work around.
The Biggest wall I have hit so far is with Tech draw. It seems to be limited in "Part" capacity and use.
Single part object works extremely well, multiple part object the computing is drastically bogged. More noticeable with dimensions and annotations.
Yes I know about global 3d update and page update. It is still drastically slow.
I did not use assembly to create views as I read that slows the system even further with additional complications.
Is there an internal work around with out exporting views to say autocad? Are you Guys using Draft work bench instead to create working drawings?
Is there current development with this issue and what is the future of Tech Draw work bench?
What exactly is the issue I read somewhere it has to do with a hidden line logarithm? Seems more than that to me?
Attachments
Size of work
Size of work
trailer.jpg (137.12 KiB) Viewed 3207 times
Last edited by Loz3dtech on Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
M4x
Veteran

Re: Tech Draw

Post by M4x »

Please update your thread title to something meaningful.

Yes, TD can take it's time if the model is complex. I think the reason has to do with what the OCCT kernel is giving FreeCAD. It's good practice to not model threads for example to make the model less complex. You can try Part simpleCopy, maybe that speeds up the creation of the drawing in your usecase.
Loz3dtech

Re: Tech Draw- limitations bogging down - any work arounds

Post by Loz3dtech »

I am aware of not showing threads, regardless of any software used but was unaware of Part "simple copy". I am assuming this only shows a mesh or simplified solid of the original part being copied?
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

The wiki is always the first place to go to: Part_SimpleCopy
Loz3dtech

Post by Loz3dtech »

Cheers. When exporting DXF from Tech Draw and opening in Librecad you obtain a whole series of projection lines from the origin, and loose the border.
So Tech draw is a constant projection of the 3D model and not a referenced image of the 3D model ?
As a wok around I saved as PDF then used cloud convert to convert PDF to DXF then opened in Librecad for a cleaner file with border (layout sheet).
Attachments
import2.jpg
import2.jpg (300.46 KiB) Viewed 2896 times
import.jpg
import.jpg (449.47 KiB) Viewed 2896 times
Loz3dtech

Post by Loz3dtech »

For any one experiencing the same issues there is hope.
This video found on youtube (28 minutes) explains the issue.

FreeCAD on steroids. Interview with Zheng Lei aka RealThunder.

Zheng Lei talks about replacing the current rendering engine (core3 or coin3) with a more modern graphics engine compatible with modern graphics cards.
He comments on how currently techdraw is extremely slow or outright unusable which is what I am experiencing.
I think Zheng Lei is on Steroids :lol: