dimension incorrect value in 3D view

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: dimension incorrect value in 3D view

Post by wandererfan »

chrisb wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:33 pm Hi Wandererfan, good to hear from you!
Thanks, @chrisb and @jmaustpc (and others!). It's nice to be back, even if I'm only slowly getting up to speed.

I'm not sure how the fancy high end commercial CADs handle this, but IIRC, AutoCAD requires you to edit isometric dimension after creation to adjust the angle with the DIMEDIT command. We could perhaps add an oblique angle property that would control the slant of the extension lines.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I think it is only sensible to invest time into this, if the connection between the TechDraw line and the model can be established automatically. For other cases it is ok to require user interaction for the manually built link.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

All commercial CAD programs i know, gives only projected measures per default, also the fanciest i know (CATIA):

Greetings
user1234
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Greetings to the Community!
In particular to @wandererfan and a welcome back! :)
Here https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 4&start=80 it is explained how to easily refer to the real dimensions of the object in the 3D view.
Also in the same topic (previous page) it is also explained how to obtain, using the tools of the "TechDrawTools" macro, the dimensioning of a plane axonometry in TechDraw (procedure that can be extended to any axonometric angle).
I don't know if the process could be coded to automate it, the "arcane" answer to the developers :?:
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

The example of user1234 quoted in plane axonometry, you can add all the dimensions you want and refer them to the object in the 3D view.
Attachments
example of quoted plane axonometry.FCStd
(39.47 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
example_of_quoted_plane_axonometry.png
example_of_quoted_plane_axonometry.png (145.05 KiB) Viewed 1064 times