TechDraw scale bugs

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
user1234
Veteran

Re: TechDraw scale bugs

Post by user1234 »

@wandererfan

A view observations after playing around a few hours.

- this behavior is also in the master: the section and the page must unnecessary recomputed, or better said, it gets the blue check, even when nothing, except moving or clicking (without changing anything) is done. Due this is very time consuming, this is pretty annoying. How this happens:

Click on the section (or view), section (or view) get the blue check, recompute section, page get the blue check, recompute the page, click on the section, section get the blue check, .....
1.png
1.png (12.62 KiB) Viewed 915 times

- one odd behavior: i compiled the branch and started with new settings and change to allowed the crazy edges. I loaded the assembly (i always used the same file) and made a section. It works damn good. Only 2 very small face errors detections occurred (out of around estimated 400 faces, the hatches ware all correct, only 2 faces ware empty (gray when you pull the section out of the drawing sheet), but it does not matter in that case, to check if some hatched faces do not overlap, i hided the hatching and overflow the faces with the mouse, i saw no issues). Also it was a little bit faster then normal. Then made the parameter settings like you wrote above. There was no difference, even when i made a new section.

Then i started the branch like i start normal FreeCAD, liked to my settings files (see https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Start_up_and_Configuration). Then it do not work anymore. When i started the master and compared it, it was ident. Even when i edit the parameters and set the setting like you wrote above, it does not work anymore. The behavior is like in the master. Even when i started with plain settings again, it does not work more and the face detection is ident like in the master. Even worse, i get sometimes different face detections, without changing the model or change the scale. This is very weird. Even when i delete my "plain" settings folders, it does not work more. But it seems to have something to do with the settings. Also i can not delete all "plain" settings folders, because even with the new settings folder structure, FreeCAD seems to still save some settings in this "plain" folders (when i open FreeCAD with that and save some settings, they are sometimes when i open FreeCAD with my own settings.

- with the odd behavior above: the face detection is not the same result when the cut surface is hided. When hided, the faces are sometimes merged, even where there should not be a hatch. But when the hatches are not hided, it hatches correct (the merged faces are not merged anymore). Since i (or pretty sure others) want to hatch different parts in different shapes and sizes, it is not practical.

Greetings
user1234
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

user1234 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:15 pm - this behavior is also in the master: the section and the page must unnecessary recomputed, or better said, it gets the blue check, even when nothing, except moving or clicking (without changing anything) is done. Due this is very time consuming, this is pretty annoying. How this happens:
The unnecessary recomputes should be fixed by git commit 7b79c9697c. You'll still get some check marks, but they only affect the X/Y positioning, not the shape processing, so the recompute is fast.

Now I can get to the actual face finding issues.

Once again, thanks for your help.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

wandererfan wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:39 pm The unnecessary recomputes should be fixed by git commit 7b79c9697c. You'll still get some check marks, but they only affect the X/Y positioning, not the shape processing, so the recompute is fast.
Thanks. A have tested it (the master). A few observations: When i move the normal view, i must recompute it, as you wrote. But It sell need ~38s. Then i have to recompute the section, which needs also ~38s. When i only move the section, then i have to recalculate it (as you wrote). When i recompute it, it needs ~35s.

When i change something in the model (for example the chamfer in the shaft), there is not mark to recompute (ok, that is a link thing, any very minor atm). But the i force recompute the section, i get checkmarks to recompute the dimensions under the section and the dimensions will not recomputed. But the dimensions are under the section (which is recomputed), which is, at least in my opinion, unlogical. But when i recalculate the dimensions, it works.
2.png
2.png (10.16 KiB) Viewed 793 times

An other observation: i have the feeling, that TechDraw is slower (mouse handling, navigating, marking things, recomputing, .....) since a few weeks. I have here a FreeCAD version from around 2 months, which is much faster. When moving the views, i have nothing to recompute Why is that implemented, i have nothing against it, i just want to know what is the reason. Should i bisect, when it slows down? I can not make it today, but maybe tomorrow.

wandererfan wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:39 pm Now I can get to the actual face finding issues.
Just in case, there is a trap in the section is send you. The withdrawal sleeve from the bearing is slit and a little bit open. So that here
1.png
1.png (34.07 KiB) Viewed 793 times
is no hatching is correct.

Thanks for working in it!

Greetings
user1234
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

user1234 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:10 pm An other observation: i have the feeling, that TechDraw is slower (mouse handling, navigating, marking things, recomputing, .....) since a few weeks. I have here a FreeCAD version from around 2 months, which is much faster. When moving the views, i have nothing to recompute Why is that implemented, i have nothing against it, i just want to know what is the reason. Should i bisect, when it slows down? I can not make it today, but maybe tomorrow.
I suspect that the change discussed here https://www.forum.freecadweb.org/viewto ... 35&t=68417 is the culprit. Before this change X and Y changes were essentially ignored for recompute purposes since they don't affect the geometry of the view. The change I made on the weekend tries to trigger the recompute cascade without recomputing the geometry of the moved view. Maybe it needs more work.

If the new version is still slow, then it would be good to confirm that this change is responsible.

I notice this morning that moving the View in your test file is much more responsive than moving the Section. I'll investigate that today.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

wandererfan wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:16 pm I suspect that the change discussed here https://www.forum.freecadweb.org/viewto ... 35&t=68417 is the culprit.
Thankfs for the hint, will test it today.

Greetings
user1234
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

wandererfan wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:16 pm I suspect that the change discussed here https://www.forum.freecadweb.org/viewto ... 35&t=68417 is the culprit. Before this change X and Y changes were essentially ignored for recompute purposes since they don't affect the geometry of the view.
No, the fault was by done by me. By bisecting, i did not found the slowness. This slowness (mouse, selecting, .....) behavior is a newFaceAlgo branch only behavior. Sorry for the noise.

I found (i hope, that i have done nothing wrong) an issue, in master and newFaceAlgo branch. Here are extra lines, see

1.png
1.png (465.03 KiB) Viewed 634 times

Maybe it came from the seams from the thread drillings. File attached (a tool for working for me, wip, since i have not metal atm). Just in case, the 3D file looks for me a weirde, because i played a little bit with the alpha channel in colors. Please ignore this issue.

Greetings
user1234
Attachments
HydraulicMountingCylinder.zip
(864.2 KiB) Downloaded 10 times