Complex Section - capabilities and limitations

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NewJoker
Veteran

Complex Section - capabilities and limitations

Post by NewJoker »

Hi,

I'd like to clarify the topic of capabilities and limitations of the new TechDraw ComplexSection tool. Out of the advanced section types shown here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=65321 the new tool can create half, offset and aligned sections. Based on my tests, it can't create broken out sections as well as rotated/removed sections. Rotated/removed sections are quite specific and may require another tool to create but broken out sections could be doable if the new tool supported cutting profiles made of closed loops of polylines and splines. Is there a chance that it will be supported in the future ?
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Complex Section - capabilities and limitations

Post by wandererfan »

NewJoker wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:40 am Rotated/removed sections are quite specific and may require another tool to create but broken out sections could be doable if the new tool supported cutting profiles made of closed loops of polylines and splines. Is there a chance that it will be supported in the future ?
I don't really understand rotated/removed sections, so I will have to do some studying to comment on those.

Broken out sections look a bit different since the cut does not pass through the entire base object (?) and the section view has the same orientation as the base view (??). These might have more in common with a broken view than ComplexSection.

I'd like to add all of these, but I have no firm plans or ETA.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

@wandererfan Thank you for the reply. Technical drawings are definitely not my area of expertise but I will try to help using the available literature. Here's a translation of what the Polish bible for technical drawings ("Rysunek techniczny maszynowy" by T. Dobrzanski) says about these types of section views:

- broken out sections:

Broken out sections are drawn as local sections on the views of the objects and are bounded by wavy or zigzag lines.
The following examples are included:

broken out mod.jpg
broken out mod.jpg (67.46 KiB) Viewed 1097 times

- rotated and removed sections:

A rotated/removed section is an outline of a planar geometric shape lying in the plane of the cross-section of an object, rotated with this plane by 90 degrees and placed on the view of the object (rotated section) or outside of its outline (removed section). If a cross-section plane passes through the axis of a cylindrical or conical hole then the rotated/removed section is supplemented with a view of the hole's edges lying behind the cross-section plane to avoid splitting the rotated/removed section into 2 separate parts. In all other cases in which a rotated/removed section would consist of 2 or more separate pieces, one should draw a regular section instead of a rotated/removed one.
The difference between a rotated/removed section and a regular section is that in the case of a rotated/removed section object's outlines lying behind the cross-section plane are not included.
The following examples are included:

rotated and removed sections.jpg
rotated and removed sections.jpg (92.05 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

Broken-out sections depend on two views:
- The first defines the border of the cutout
- The second defines the depth of the cut-out, technically a base view without section lines and arrows (it should be obvious where the section plane is positioned or a proper section view is needed)

I think this isn't easy to achieve as long as the section line definition is not done graphically within the base view.

You could create a section view and then derive a detail view from that and finally lay it over the uncut view manually (and hide the full section)
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

@wandererfan
I had an idea to make the exit sections. I think it can be automated, but I don't know anything about programming!
BrokenOutSections.png
BrokenOutSections.png (11.41 KiB) Viewed 842 times
The lengths of sketches 3 and 4 could for example be related to the vertical dimensions of the shaft (diameters).
Attachments
OutputSections.FCStd
(101.55 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06