Lattice2 Tutorial to be made

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
intufreecad

Lattice2 Tutorial to be made

Post by intufreecad »

Hello everyone,

Here are some screenshots of the Lattice2 workbench in action.

I try to understand that Workbench better and it surprises me more and more how much fantastic stuff is in there.

I want to try to make a tutorial, that helps with getting started with that workbench.

Its an addon. Install lattice 2 via Addonmanger before opening the FCSTD file otherwise it breaks.

What do you guys think? This tutorial isnt finished at all. Just want to share what i have for the moment.

Greetings

Intufreecad
Attachments
The Lattice2 WB helped with alining the bodies exactly as desired.<br />It also helps to create variations of patterns very quickly.<br /><br />The freedom you get by having placements under control is tremendous. Especially with the paperplane symbol.<br /><br />You can match the postion of a body from one paperplane to the next one and create a single or big series of copies at the position of another or set of other paperplanes.<br /><br />It deals well with compounds and extracting desired children of the compound and manipulating them.
The Lattice2 WB helped with alining the bodies exactly as desired.
It also helps to create variations of patterns very quickly.

The freedom you get by having placements under control is tremendous. Especially with the paperplane symbol.

You can match the postion of a body from one paperplane to the next one and create a single or big series of copies at the position of another or set of other paperplanes.

It deals well with compounds and extracting desired children of the compound and manipulating them.
Scrennshots_A_to_H.jpg (101.52 KiB) Viewed 4653 times
Last edited by intufreecad on Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Marcel a freecad lover
intufreecad

Re: Lattice_2 Tutorial

Post by intufreecad »

Here picture of the tree of H_4 state.
Attachments
Lattice_2_example_1.jpg
Lattice_2_example_1.jpg (263.29 KiB) Viewed 4652 times
Last edited by intufreecad on Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marcel a freecad lover
intufreecad

Post by intufreecad »

Soon some other example will follow.

Good night now
Intufreecad
Last edited by intufreecad on Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marcel a freecad lover
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Good tutorials are always welcome, but what you present here may not be a suitable format of a preview. You should post, if you have some parts ready, even if it is only a beginning, so that it is possible to really see the images and the corresponding text. My guess: without the latter it will be near to impossible to follow the tutorial.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
intufreecad

Post by intufreecad »

thanks cris

maybe delete the topic here and try again when i am further advanced with the doku?

greetings intufreecad
Marcel a freecad lover
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

We usually don't delete such topics, but you can edit your posts and streamline the contents if you want.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
intufreecad

Post by intufreecad »

chrisb wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:38 pm We usually don't delete such topics, but you can edit your posts and streamline the contents if you want.
Thx Chris for your feedback.

I edited the topic and tried to focus more on one thing there... But anyway. I love lattice2 Workbench so much. The more i use it the more i am fascinated.
Attachments
install.jpg
install.jpg (18.66 KiB) Viewed 4650 times
topics.jpg
topics.jpg (52.88 KiB) Viewed 4650 times
Marcel a freecad lover
Pauvres_honteux

Re: Lattice2 Tutorial to be made

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

If I may suggest, working with pictures and text, the two-column approach worked a treat in the automotive industri for conveying how-to-do-things for their workshops

That is, a picture to the left shows one step (in this case, how to do a certain step with the Lattice workbench) and the corresponding text to the right says the same thing.
This makes the reader feel confident she/he has understood it right. The keywords here are "feel confident".

For video, a three-way approach consisting of moving pictures + "talking head" + rolling text makes the step extreamly crystal clear. Of course all three shall express the same thing at the same time, to make the viewer feel confident. The keywords here are "at the same time".
intufreecad

Post by intufreecad »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:20 am ....The keywords here are "at the same time".
Thx for the feedback.

This time I made a series of pngs with all the steps and arrows and clicksequences. Have a look if thats better.

They cover all necessary steps to reproduce the Fcstd file that is attached below.

Covered topics are:

LinearArray
populate_with_copies
populate_populate_with_copies_build_array
attached_placement
populate_with_copies_move_object
Attachments
freecad_lattice2_populate_with_copies_build_array.FCStd
(27.3 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Last edited by intufreecad on Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcel a freecad lover
intufreecad

Post by intufreecad »

LinearArray

Create a linearArray based on a cube that is located at (0,0,0)
cube.png
cube.png (121.82 KiB) Viewed 4245 times
LinearArray.png
LinearArray.png (194.17 KiB) Viewed 4245 times
LinearArray2.png
LinearArray2.png (191.5 KiB) Viewed 4245 times
Last edited by intufreecad on Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcel a freecad lover