Community knowledgebase: getting started with tutorial and video contribution

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
regis

Re: Community knowledgebase: getting started with tutorial and video contribution

Post by regis »

r-frank wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:04 am
regis wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:06 pmTwitch Account
FYI at the moment in germany there are some issues with Twitch TV.
Some people on twitch got official letters from the german agency responsible for
surveillance and regulation of radio and tv broadcasts.
Live video streams are (under some circumstances) to be seen as tv broadcasts
therefore needing an official broadcast license (5000 Euro plus ...) and a lot of
administrative paperwork not manageable by a single person ...
As a reaction, PietSmietTV did close it's Twitch TV channel ...
what is you recommendation to by pass this restriction problem?
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: Community knowledgebase: getting started with tutorial and video contribution

Post by Jee-Bee »

regis wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:23 am what is you recommendation to by pass this restriction problem?
Don't use it... Don't know if youtube stream have the same restrictions?...
regis

Post by regis »

Jee-Bee wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:46 am
regis wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:23 am what is you recommendation to by pass this restriction problem?
Don't use it... Don't know if youtube stream have the same restrictions?...
yeah, i'm still exploring both platforms, and the detail you are mentioning is critical.
I like the way that there is the ability to have a community on twitch like on google +,
and the freecad space seems to be Vacant
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Good idea Kurt!

I have a Youtube channel with a few tutorial videos (all soundless if I recall correctly) but I stopped doing them 2 years ago as I was waiting for the announced changes to the PartDesign workbench. As soon as 0.17 rolls out, all the current video tutorials relating to PartDesign use will become obsolete. New ones will have to be created to replace them.

I like to provide "quick tips" videos that don't take too much time to produce and I believe there's an audience for that. Specific videos that reply to questions here on the forum can also be useful. I created some of them with sound but hosted them on the now shutdown Ubuntu One hosting service. Since then I changed my PC and its internal mic input provides awful sound.
sliptonic wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:16 pm Consider showing your face.
For me it's more of a distraction than anything. But I guess that's just me.
sliptonic wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:16 pm Think about size and resolution.
I much prefer doing videos in 1080p... But I see your point. If/when I resume doing videos I'll make sure to make them at 720p. Thanks for the tips on icon and font size.
sliptonic wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:16 pm I still need to figure out how to show keystrokes on the screen.
Easy:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install key-mon
Then launch KeyMon before starting to record. You can see how it looks like here. Not great, but it does the job...

My setup (I haven't figured out all the details yet - some pointers on sound would be welcome):
  • Screen recording: SimpleScreenRecorder. I've tested quite a few programs over the years and IMHO it's the best out there at least on a non-KDE Linux desktop. The screen size of the capture can be defined by pixels as well as its position in reference to the upper left corner.

I need to define how to set the FreeCAD window to a specific size. Up to now I was doing it with the old Mk.I eyeball. ;) I tried the wmctrl cli program but it didn't work reliably and would resize the wrong program window for no good reason! But I found this which might be useful, I still have to test: Ask Ubuntu - How can I start up an application with a pre-defined window size and position?
  • Audio: I have a nice Audio-Technica AT2020 cardioid condenser microphone with XLR output I bought 11 years ago to record music for fun (acoustic guitar) and which I seldom used. Couple of years ago I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB recording interface/soundcard to replace my M-Audio Firewire 410 which isn't compatible Linux - and my current PC doesn't have Firewire anyway.

The problem: such a microphone is mono, not stereo. When I record from Audacity and play back, the sound comes from both speakers. But when I record from SimpleScreenRecorder, the sound plays back from only one speaker. All I can't think of is to record audio on Audacity and video on SimpleScreenRecorder at the same time but that forces me to edit afterwards to join and synchronize both the video and the audio track; I'd prefer not to have this additional step. Unfortunately sound on Linux still baffles me. :?
regis

Post by regis »

After some trials, I think i'll keep it simple by sticking to YouTube. :D
I don't mind showing my face, but I like full screen mode when I work. So it's going to be a back and forth thing I suppose.
"Quick Tips" - perfect idea for channel suggestion & tutorials. Where people can requests precific tips
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=23224

NormandC wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:29 pm
I like to provide "quick tips" videos that don't take too much time to produce and I believe there's an audience for that. Specific videos that reply to questions here on the forum can also be useful. I created some of them with sound but hosted them on the now shutdown Ubuntu One hosting service. Since then I changed my PC and its internal mic input provides awful sound.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

NormandC wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:29 pm The problem: such a microphone is mono, not stereo. When I record from Audacity and play back, the sound comes from both speakers. But when I record from SimpleScreenRecorder, the sound plays back from only one speaker. All I can't think of is to record audio on Audacity and video on SimpleScreenRecorder at the same time but that forces me to edit afterwards to join and synchronize both the video and the audio track; I'd prefer not to have this additional step. Unfortunately sound on Linux still baffles me. :?
I would expect that this has more or less something to doe with how ALSA handles the sound interface...
I have a (really) old focusrite Safire 6 USB 1.1 and ASLA don't recognise the input so i can't test it... you're right on linux and sound it works (sometimes) but never easy... :(
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

Xubuntu 16.04, 64bit.

> SimpleScreenRecorder
> Hama Headset with microphone and a usb-adapter with integrated sound card (CSL – USB mini Soundkarte extern | 301301)
Otherwise the sound had random noice and scratch.

> upload to Dailymotion
http://www.dailymotion.com/freecad

Using for animated gif's (in forum/wiki)
> Peek (https://github.com/phw/peek)
> Stopwatch

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install key-mon
Thank's, that tool is really helpful.

For online video conferencing I recommend to use meet.jit.si on Firefox or other supported web browser:
https://meet.jit.si/freecad

Wilfried
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

https://obsproject.com

Don't know if exactly screenrecording works but i think so... also possible to add camcorder phone and switch between them...
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Interesting find, Jee-Bee, thanks!

I quickly tested it, lots of options and controls, and indeed, screen recording (no streaming) works, and video quality with default video settings (I used the autoconfigure option at start) is a lot better than I've been able to get with SImpleScreenRecorder. I was hoping I'd be able to configure my mic to sound in 2 speakers but no luck.

EDIT: it works!!! :D All I needed was to go into the Mixer and check "Downmix to mono". I think SimpleScreenRecorder just got sidelined! :)

@ sliptonic
1280x720 is insanely small. Even switching off the report view and the python console, the available screen space for the 3D view is microscopic!!! :?
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Nice to see that it works well NormandC