Community knowledgebase: getting started with tutorial and video contribution

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Community knowledgebase: getting started with tutorial and video contribution

Post by kkremitzki »

First off, great idea to make this new board! I thought it might be nice to have a stickied post that could contain discussion, especially from people who are already making videos, about things like what tools to use, and other general advice. My goal is to get the ball rolling here and keep the first post edited with a summary. I'd like to get started in this area myself.

So, if you're already doing videos, what tools and programs are you using, and on which platform? Got any tips?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
r-frank
Veteran

Re: Community knowledgebase: getting started with tutorial and video contribution

Post by r-frank »

Windows:

Using for videos with sound
> CAMStudio to record
> Logitech G 930 Headset with microphone and on-board sound card
> using x-media recode to convert the avi-clips into mp4
> using avidemux to glue all clips together in one clip and make sure to use mp4v2 as Audio
> upload to YouTube

Using for animated gif's (in forum/wiki)
> GifCAM
> ScreentoGif

Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
regis

Re: Community knowledgebase: getting started with tutorial and video contribution

Post by regis »

Linux Mint

screen record : Kazam
Video Editing : Blender
Graphic : Inkscape
I first record, then do editing in blender, then upload the export to youtube, some day i might make a tutorial on that

Live : OBS
+ Youtube Account
+ Twitch Account
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

in Windows 10 I found useful ShareX
https://getsharex.com/
https://github.com/ShareX/ShareX/releases
open source project saving in mp4 or animated gif
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

I'm also on Linux Mint.

A couple general thoughts about videos:
1) If you're recording audio, get a decent microphone. Don't rely on the crap mic in the webcam. Really, audio is important.

2) Consider showing your face. We're humans and we're evolved to get a LOT of information by watching other humans. Subtle stuff like where you're looking, reactions and especially how your mouth moves when you're speaking make it a lot easier to absorb and understand the content.

3) Think about size and resolution. I live in an area with poor high speed internet. streaming in HD is painful. If you maximize FreeCAD on a 4K monitor, set the icons to tiny, set the console text to 4pt font, I can't see anything useful when it's streamed in 480p. The setup I use to record is very different from the setup I use when I'm doing my own stuff in FreeCAD or developing.

My setup probably isn't for everyone but works well for me.

i3 tiling window manager so I can control window size and placement and switch between windows with keystrokes.
I set FreeCAD to a window 1280x720 and record at that resolution. When it's uploaded, youtube doesn't have to mess with the scaling.
I set the icons at medium and editor output at 12 and I use the sourcecode pro font
Even at 360p, the icons are still recognizable and the text is legible.

Titles and slides in a Google presentation in a different window.
I use OBS for capture and I do a video in a single take including slides. I don't like editing.....because I'm lazy :-)

Blue Snowball microphone.
Nothing special logitech webcam but considering upgrade. Any suggestions?

I still need to figure out how to show keystrokes on the screen.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

sliptonic wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:16 pm 3) Think about size and resolution. I live in an area with poor high speed internet. streaming in HD is painful. If you maximize FreeCAD on a 4K monitor, set the icons to tiny, set the console text to 4pt font, I can't see anything useful when it's streamed in 480p. The setup I use to record is very different from the setup I use when I'm doing my own stuff in FreeCAD or developing.
Quoted for truth!
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

At least sliptonic's points 1 and 3 should be pinned. In fact they are both the same, one for the audio channel, the other for the video: Don't give us information we cannot understand, don't tell us something we cannot hear, don't show us something we cannot see. This is not a child's guessing game.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drei

Post by drei »

My setup:
-Screen recording: SimpleScreenRecorder (set desktop screen resolution to a compatible size prior to recording).
-Video editing: kdenlive (render directly to mp4)
-Slides: LibreOffice Impress
-Custom Graphics: Inkscape & GIMP
-Audio: Not working at the moment T-T
-Video distribution: YouTube
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
regis

Post by regis »

sliptonic wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:16 pm I'm also on Linux Mint.

A couple general thoughts about videos:
1) If you're recording audio, get a decent microphone. Don't rely on the crap mic in the webcam. Really, audio is important.

2) Consider showing your face. We're humans and we're evolved to get a LOT of information by watching other humans. Subtle stuff like where you're looking, reactions and especially how your mouth moves when you're speaking make it a lot easier to absorb and understand the content.

3) Think about size and resolution. I live in an area with poor high speed internet. streaming in HD is painful. If you maximize FreeCAD on a 4K monitor, set the icons to tiny, set the console text to 4pt font, I can't see anything useful when it's streamed in 480p. The setup I use to record is very different from the setup I use when I'm doing my own stuff in FreeCAD or developing.

My setup probably isn't for everyone but works well for me.

i3 tiling window manager so I can control window size and placement and switch between windows with keystrokes.
I set FreeCAD to a window 1280x720 and record at that resolution. When it's uploaded, youtube doesn't have to mess with the scaling.
I set the icons at medium and editor output at 12 and I use the sourcecode pro font
Even at 360p, the icons are still recognizable and the text is legible.

Titles and slides in a Google presentation in a different window.
I use OBS for capture and I do a video in a single take including slides. I don't like editing.....because I'm lazy :-)

Blue Snowball microphone.
Nothing special logitech webcam but considering upgrade. Any suggestions?

I still need to figure out how to show keystrokes on the screen.
Been following your advice.
Got the mic headset, sound quality way better
I am still not sure how I can get the sub menu in freecad to show.
Also it appears Twitch's URL is not supported by the Freecad forum browser.
so here is also the direct link
Also do let me know about the quality, it seems the HQ is lost and the images are a bit blured especially on the freecad data and view tabs
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/155445432
phpBB [video]
r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

regis wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:06 pmTwitch Account
FYI at the moment in germany there are some issues with Twitch TV.
Some people on twitch got official letters from the german agency responsible for
surveillance and regulation of radio and tv broadcasts.
Live video streams are (under some circumstances) to be seen as tv broadcasts
therefore needing an official broadcast license (5000 Euro plus ...) and a lot of
administrative paperwork not manageable by a single person ...
As a reaction, PietSmietTV did close it's Twitch TV channel ...
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)