Asking for a tutorial: Snap-fit electronics enclosure

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
probono

Re: Asking for a tutorial: Snap-fit electronics enclosure

Post by probono »

Since this thread has evolved from a tutorial request into various FreeCAD future announcements and feature requests, I wanted to check in whether someone is still planning to write the documentation (don't want to appear impatient, just curious).

Using the latest version from git would be ok for me.

@peterl94 you have apparently made it (minus the hinge) and have shared a file, unfortunately this doesn't really explain to me (a beginner) exactly how you made this. A writeup or even better a video would be a tremendous help.
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

The thing is, this project shows some areas where FreeCAD is lacking and we're still figuring out the best way to model it. I can make a video of it if Normand doesn't have time to.

But it would be nice to wait until PR 916 and 920 are merged (probably at least a week).
probono

Post by probono »

salp

Post by salp »

Norman,

I found this thread very interesting, so I started to build it in FreeCAD to see how far I would get. I didn't read your comments until I was done, just to see if I've learned anything.

I got as far as creating both top and bottom enclosure's and the two buttons, I ran in to the sweep function issue in Part Design creating the lip on the bottom enclosure, so I manually created the sketch offset to create the lip top enclosure (you are not kidding when you said it was tedious).

I do have a question about the buttons, I tried to use the shape binder function in Part Design to size the buttons automatically but I could not get it to work "I could not select the shape binder as an external geometry", in the end I created the buttons with no link to the top enclosure.
Is there an alternative to using the shape binder to link the dimensions between two bodies?

If I complete the design, my plan is to create the tutorial that @probono was looking for.
cad-modeling-1-enclosures_v3.fcstd
(387.57 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.11779 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 7c87549e4ba992cf324c59986908a22ccb5fcf4c
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Enclosure_v3.png
Enclosure_v3.png (146.86 KiB) Viewed 2941 times
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

salp wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:15 pm I tried to use the shape binder function in Part Design to size the buttons automatically but I could not get it to work
Did you see what ickby said about it?
ickby wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:34 am I know that for the pad one currently still needs to select the face in 3d, and it does not work with selecting the shapebinder in the tree
And I'll add that you have to have it selected before starting the pad command.
salp wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:15 pm If I complete the design, my plan is to create the tutorial that @probono was looking for.
Good, because I'm lacking the motivation right now...mostly because it will likely be outdated after 0.17 is released. I written tutorial would be better though, because it could easily be updated. Maybe putting it on the wiki would be a good idea.
probono

Post by probono »

Thank you all. If it is easier for you to do a video, I volunteer to transcribe it into a written tutorial.
salp

Post by salp »

As I mentioned earlier, I contacted 3D HUBS and they were nice enough to let me reuse the tutorials they had written (see email exchange below).
I will get started on this and post as soon as I have something put together.

Thanks
Sal
On 08/15/2017 03:40 AM, Gabriela wrote:
> Hi Sal,
>
> Thanks for reaching out, and for checking in with us. Feel free to use the article with your community, however please make sure to reference it back to us, and credit the author.
>
> In the meantime, I'll make sure to let Jack know, he'll be thrilled! :)
>
> Please let me know if you have any further questions.
>
> Best,
> Gabriela
>
>
> How would you rate my reply?
> Great Okay Not Good
>
>
>
> Gabriela
>
> Gabriela
> 3D Printing Expert
>
>
>
> T +31 202 611 900 (NL)
> T +1 (347) 966-8024 (US)
> E support+gabriela@3dhubs.com
>
>
>
> 3D HUBS
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Facebook Twitter Check out 3D Hubs Knowledge Base: quality articles for engineers and designers to learn about 3D printing.
>
>
>
>
>
> On Tue, 15 Aug at 1:15 AM , Sal Polifemo <polifemo@comcast.net> wrote:
> I would like to use the "CAD Modeling #1 - Enclosures" knowledge base article written by Jack Davis to illustrate how the process is done using FreeCAD application. If possible I would like to use the article format and insert the graphics and commands used in FreeCAD
>
> I am not affiliated with the FreeCAD project, I'm a user of the application and wanted to provide to the community a well documented procedure. Your article is the best example I have come across.
>
> Thank you
>
> Sal Polifemo
>
> 276369:165637
probono

Post by probono »

That was a very good idea @salp. Looking forward to your tutorial.
salp

Post by salp »

I am posting my first attempt at a tutorial, right now its written in LibreOffice Writer until I get it finished.

I'm having a bit of a problem reducing the size of the file so it can be attached, I saved the first chapter and it's 2.4Mb.

I remembered that I have a google drive account so here goes nothing.

Introduction and creating the reference skeleton https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4sTH ... EEtQ0JtcEU
Creating Lower Case (part a) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4sTH ... XRMQUZlMkk
Complete Lower Case (part b) <not ready>
Create Upper Case <not ready>
Create Buttons <not ready>

Thanks
Sal
salp

Post by salp »

Does anyone know if a Libre Office Writer document can be converted or imported into a wiki page?

Looking back now, creating a odt file was not the best solution.