Arch Tutorial

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
regis

Re: Arch Tutorial

Post by regis »

makundieli wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:49 am Hello I am hereby struggling to change the millimetres to metres measurements in in the workbench,
would you please help
can you send us a screenshot of your file?
makundieli

Post by makundieli »

Hello Again, thanks for your valuable reply
Unfortunately I cannot send the file as I have come across another serious problem
that is; when I serve may project, does not been saved in FreeCAD icon and I cannot be reopened
it is not even in the saved projects.
would you please help me on how to serve the project in such a way i can be able to re open it.
"in serving the project I have also tried to close in which it brings the option to name and serve the file"
but i failed to re open it
thanks
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

@Admin: The last three posts are utterly wrong here, could you please move them (this one included as well) to the help forum please?

@makundieli: Please post help requests in the Help section of the forum. At the top you find a link "IMPORTANT:...". Please read what is written there and post your FreeCAD info.

To your saving problem: It is very hard to help not knowing what system you use nor which FreeCAD version, but there are some things you can check:

- Make sure all editing dialogs are closed before you save.
- Do not save in the place offered by FreeCAD. Select the path and folder yourself. This ensures you will know the place to look for your file.
- When you create a new FreeCAD document it show the name "unnamed" in the tree. Does this change after saving?
If so you have saved it successfully, if not, then you haven't saved it.
- Have you tried the "recent files" list? The topmost entry should open the file edited last.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
cadgiru

Post by cadgiru »

yorik wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:59 pm
roo wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:07 am The user community needs to be active in writing, or at least editing, user documentation rather than leaving it to programmers.
+1 :D

That tutorial was a kid of "all-in-one" attempt, it is indeed rather indigest. Try the BIM page in the manual, it is probably much more like what you have in mind. In any case, definitely we need more!
Like Your all in one approach to learning through a professional example (Cook Book)
Working through the tutorial, I have come across challenges that I believe other users will also experience.

1) Had some challenges with grabbing dxf and or dwg files using Freeware cad systems.
Tried Freecad, LibreCad and DraftSight.
With all I came across challenges regarding scaling and placement.
Would like to expand on these, incorporating in Arch tutorial

2) Experience has taught me that working with as exact as possible input is always good, and saves time and frustration further down the line.
After starting with modelling walls, I found that incorporating an Axis system would be a good starting point

3) Making Arch Axis
Spent some time figuring out how to build an axis system equal to the one in original Artegas drawings.
(Mainly figuring ou Axis orientation. As an example the Y (North/South) axis need to be rotated 270deg. to get desired labelling)
Next Make Arch Axis System of defined from the Arch Axis.

If You can grant me access to edit wiki, I will do my best to expand it.

Best regards
Attachments
ArtigasAxisSystem.fcstd
(4.2 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
ArtigasAxis.fcstd
(4.01 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Last edited by cadgiru on Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Hi cadgiru, welcome.
cadgiru wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:37 am If You can grant me access to edit wiki, I will do my best to expand it.
There is a dedicated wiki subforum where you find an explanation of how to get wiki permissions.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
cadgiru

Post by cadgiru »

Working on Yoriks Arch tutorial https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Arch_tutorial

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13528 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 5c3f7bf8ec51e2c7187789f7edba71a7aa82a88b
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

Have now come to the windows, or ifcCurtainwall objects.
CurtainWall.png
CurtainWall.png (10.77 KiB) Viewed 1397 times
Has anybody any suggestions for HowTo?

By the way does FC have support for curtainwalls?

thx in advance
cadgiru

Post by cadgiru »

Found what I thought was a very elegant solution, using Arch BuildingPart object
Screenshot from 2018-08-03 22-24-02.png
Screenshot from 2018-08-03 22-24-02.png (364.82 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
BuildingPart looks like being a very versitile and simple way to group simple objects (Building parts often are, only the assembly can get complex)

regards