Product design tutorials - Library

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
AndarionCG

Product design tutorials - Library

Post by AndarionCG »

Hello!
I've started making tutorials related to product design, in general. I'm uploading these tutorials since last month, and i think i'll need month or two more, to achieve the goal, so to speak.
I'm an industrial designer, and i remember the pain of not knowing to do Cad stuff. So i think this would be a huge help to many. Plan is to upload pretty large number of product design tutorials, which i have mostly done in the past, and to form some sort of library.
There will be products that have some place on the market today, or modern, in other words.

Some tutorials are made without guiding, or narrating, some will be, depends on type of tutorial.
I'll do my best to keep this topic updated. I have many tutorials prepared for uploading, it will take some time for sure, since i have other things to do, or to deal with, obligations, jobs, and so on...
Problems i have been dealing with, within workflow, is for some new topic, but i'll leave it for future times...

These are the videos uploaded so far:

Freecad tutorial - Product design #008 - Bottle (modeling _demo.)
phpBB [video]

Freecad tutorial - Product design #007 - Hammer (modeling _demo.)
phpBB [video]

Freecad tutorial - Product design #006 - Screwdriver (modeling _demo.)
phpBB [video]

Freecad tutorial - Product design #005 - Fork (modeling _demo.)
phpBB [video]

Freecad tutorial - Product design #004 - Door|Gate Latch (modeling _demo. + animation)
phpBB [video]

Freecad tutorial - Product design #003 - Bottle (modeling _demo.)
phpBB [video]

Freecad tutorial - Product design #002 - Rotary switch knob (modeling _demo.)
phpBB [video]

Freecad tutorial - Product design #001 - Handle (modeling _demo.)
phpBB [video]

Freecad tutorial - part 01_11 - Getting started | Alignment | Assembly #003
phpBB [video]

Freecad tutorial - part 01_10 - Getting started | Draft Move tool (quick overview)
phpBB [video]

Freecad tutorial - part 01_08 - Getting started | Assembly #001
phpBB [video]

Freecad tutorial - part 01_09 - Getting started | Assembly #002
phpBB [video]

Basic tutorials (still in progress):

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Last edited by AndarionCG on Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
microelly2
Veteran

Re: Product design tutorials - Library

Post by microelly2 »

thank you for sharing this.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I watched the creation of the fork - thank you! It is the only forked model, that does not lead to modeling problems.

For the future I want to draw your attention to Sketcher's Constraint Tangent: You should not use coincident+tangent, instead you should mark the two not yet connected endpoints and apply the tangent constraint. This leads to the same design but is more stable in critical situations.
If you use the Sketcher Polyline instead you can use the m-key to toggle between different continuation modes and the correct tangent constraints are applied automagically.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
AndarionCG

Post by AndarionCG »

It could have happened... I probably did something, in a way that i assumed it will complete the action, or testing things, without taking into account the concept behind the tools, and leave it that way. Thanks, i absolutely understand on what you are referring to.
I have to mention that uploaded videos are far shorter from what had been originally recorded. There are situations where specific action can't be completed. In fork example, it's surface and geometry related, i excluded those parts from videos, i'm just unable, at the moment, to start that topic, i'll leave it for some other times, so i could make i clear note on what causes it. For some areas solution already exist, but for some other, it might be missing tools issue, or still not implemented.
emills2

Post by emills2 »

I really like the bottle tutorial. very nice video style with the text overlays. Thanks for your work!
regis

Post by regis »

Thanks for the tut, good little tips hidded in the debths of your tuts.
I get quite inspired by your style.
AndarionCG

Post by AndarionCG »

Thanks for the positive feedback! It's all still at the beginning stage, so to speak, but i'm happy to hear it's going to be of good use.
Even this is enormous area to cover, i'll probably be able to cover at least most, or more↑↓less popular products, will see, beside the software related tutorials.

I've uploaded three more videos:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
AndarionCG

Post by AndarionCG »

I made one simple faucet concept. It's just a shell, and not fully finished.

phpBB [video]
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for sharing. I am usually more technically oriented, so it is nice to see these objects where the design is important.
Your way of modeling with non attached sketches and boolean operations instead of pads and pockets seems to be more effort, but at the same time the model becomes rather robust with respect to topological naming.
Sometimes I think you could use the Polyline tool with its m-key more often.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Always nice to see quality made FreeCAD tutorials.

Thanks.