Computer Aided Manufacturing Tutorial ( Path Workbench)

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
laurent_parti

Computer Aided Manufacturing Tutorial ( Path Workbench)

Post by laurent_parti »

Hi all,

As you know I'm a CNC machining Guy. FreeCAD is perfect for CAD :D but also now for making CNC machining with the new PATH Workbench.

Here it is a new video about the path workbench, thanks to all the team for the great develop work, hope I will help some of you also :roll: :

phpBB [video]

Laurent
Laurent.

You like CNC world feel free to have a look on:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_Mjlp ... svx0z6G6WQ
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Computer Aided Manufacturing Tutorial ( Path Workbench)

Post by chrisb »

Thank you very much for this tutorial. I like the detailed explanations.
I am not sure at all about the following but it might be sensible to cut it in some pieces, e.g. the first 10:38 minutes for "Path Setup" to 18:30 "Facing", and so on.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
laurent_parti

Post by laurent_parti »

Thanks Chrisb for your comments. Your suggestion is a great one.

I have in mind to test the G-code generated by path workbench.

To do so, I will have to make a king of benchmark with an other CAM soft to avoid machine crash :oops:
Laurent.

You like CNC world feel free to have a look on:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_Mjlp ... svx0z6G6WQ
charles1954

Post by charles1954 »

Thank You for your time to make a great tutorial!

I have a question about the path operations. In the tutorial you started with a piece of stock that was wider than the finished product and used a contour operation to bring it to size. I am making some parts from a standard width of flat aluminum. In my case I don't want to remove any stock from the sides or ends. I would like to add a radius to each corner to soften the edges a little. What operation can I use that doesn't require a complete path around the entire object. Also, I am clamping the stock on each side, how do I get FreeCad to avoid the areas where the stock is clamped?

Thank You Again

Charles

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.18811 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: b809867021deb37be1039dab37b9fe1cafab254e
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
CoderMusashi

Post by CoderMusashi »

Charles1954 I have made a video just for you hope this helps.
NOTE
I did not change the start position of the path and that can be done in the data area.

Here is the link to the video. https://youtu.be/xWdTofPfoms
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

charles1954 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:32 am I have a question about the path operations. In the tutorial you started with a piece of stock that was wider than the finished product and used a contour operation to bring it to size. I am making some parts from a standard width of flat aluminum. In my case I don't want to remove any stock from the sides or ends. I would like to add a radius to each corner to soften the edges a little. What operation can I use that doesn't require a complete path around the entire object. Also, I am clamping the stock on each side, how do I get FreeCad to avoid the areas where the stock is clamped?
- You can create an object that covers all of the areas which you don't want to mill. If you want to mill just the for corners it will have a cross shape.
- create a contour path
- add a boundary dressup to the contour and select the additional object as "existing solid".
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.