Newbie help with tutorial please?

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
GrahamM

Newbie help with tutorial please?

Post by GrahamM »

Hi all,
New user here just trying to understand the basics.
I have been working through the tutorial "Creating_a_simple_part_with_PartDesign" https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Creatin ... PartDesign

All good until I get to the section titled "Displaying reference dimensions in the sketch", but I have no idea how I 'double click on the first sketch'?
Where/how do I get access to the sketch, which has now been converted into the 3D model?

Any help gratefully accepted, thanks
Graham :)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Newbie help with tutorial please?

Post by chrisb »

GrahamM wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:22 am I have no idea how I 'double click on the first sketch'?
Hi Graham, welcome. At the left side you see the combo view. If it doesn't show the model as a tree, select the Model tab. You can click on the small triangles left to pads and pockets to see the sketch they are based on. Double click on a sketch in the tree.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GrahamM

Post by GrahamM »

chrisb wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:31 am
GrahamM wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:22 am I have no idea how I 'double click on the first sketch'?
Hi Graham, welcome. At the left side you see the combo view. If it doesn't show the model as a tree select the Model tab. You can click on the small triangles left to pads and pockets to see the sketch they are based on. Double click on a sketch in the tree.
Thanks so much Chris, all sorted and I will continue on with the tutorial.
Really appreciate the help.
:)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

GrahamM wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:34 am Really appreciate the help.
You're welcome. Where was your show stopper?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GrahamM

Post by GrahamM »

chrisb wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:42 am
GrahamM wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:34 am Really appreciate the help.
You're welcome. Where was your show stopper?
Just figuring out how to get back to sketch.
Once you explained that the rest of the tutorial was plain sailing, thanks.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

GrahamM wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:22 am All good until I get to the section titled "Displaying reference dimensions in the sketch", but I have no idea how I 'double click on the first sketch'?
Where/how do I get access to the sketch, which has now been converted into the 3D model?
Hello Graham, welcome.

Thanks for your feedback, I will update the tutorial to add this info.

Normand
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello Graham,

I added some clarifications about usage and navigation of the Model tree, at a few different places in the tutorial. Would you mind going over the tutorial again (just a quick rereading) and tell me if it is clearer? My concern is for the tutorial to become a little too verbose.

The revised tutorial link is the same: Creating a simple part with PartDesign

You can also see an overview of the changes between the former version and the new:

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.p ... did=288140

BTW this tutorial was first written in French by a forum member (GlouGlou), and I translated it to English. Since English is my second language, some odd phrasing may remain in the text.

Thanks!

Normand