Sketcher tutorial

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Sketcher tutorial

Post by chrisb »

Since long I wanted to create a Sketcher tutorial. Here is a first go, currently as a pdf, I would like to provide it as HTML and video as well.

The following directives have guided me
  • The impression that proper sketching is often learned on the fly
  • In many tutorials Sketches are badly constrained
  • Several topics here in the forum show, that some users have to be taken by the hand for every single step
So I started this and I am not sure whether I pushed it over the top: The preliminary remarks took already 10 pages! So I better ask now if it is too detailed, before I'm going into the constraints - which is what I really wanted to talk about.

Especially I would like to hear your comments on the following:
- are there errors or improvement recommendations concerning the contents?
- is it too detailed?
- I put the Point as geometric element to the end because it is rather construction geometry. Should it be the first among the geometric elements?
- should I add B-splines, ellipse and other conic sections?
- when being in Sketcher, do we talk about "3D view"? I ask because it is rather 2D
- the examples and exercises are not final yet, I am looking for easy to grasp models, preferably with some well known application; any proposals?
- I am not sure about the position of the external references section. Should I put it into the constraints section?
- and of course I would like to get advice on spelling, grammar, ... The fact that I make many typos in my posts is sad enough.
NormandC wrote:ping
bejant wrote:ping
abdullah wrote:ping
Would you mind having a look? The more interesting part for Abdullah would come with the constraints part.

For ease of use: here are links to the pdf files hosted outside of the forum:
English version
Version française
Spanish version
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: Sketcher tutorial

Post by Jee-Bee »

I got some 'page processing errors'in adobe's reader...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Jee-Bee wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:31 am I got some 'page processing errors'in adobe's reader...
That's not good. Do you have a page number and/or the error message, acrobat version? I'm afraid it has something to do with the images. What system do you use?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I can reproduce the errors, no need for further input.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Jee-Bee wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:31 am I got some 'page processing errors'in adobe's reader...
I have replaced the file in my first post. Can you please retry? Sorry for the trouble.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

It works now... Check the tutorial later...
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Chris,

Looks like a great start!

I won't get into any grammar or spelling at this time. Nothing serious, and nothing that needs immediate attention.

The level of detail is very deep. So much, in fact, that I wonder who is the target audience? Absolute beginners or those who may not really understand the concept of constraints and solvers may want the detail. Those who may already have some grasp of these concepts and simply want an orientation to the FreeCAD way of designing may find it a bit too elementary.

I wonder if a bit of arrangement would be useful. For example, at some point just explain the geometries and their specific constraint types without the extra verbiage of examples.

Perhaps the wiki should serve as the sole reference for that sort of thing, but I get the sense that the wiki is a bit difficult for many beginners.

In any case this looks like an important resource, and you have already made a strong start.

Gene
hammax
Veteran

Post by hammax »

… this is the kind of work I want to read if somebody says to me RTFM.
Wiki is not straightforward enough to consolidate one's knowledgebase - too many systematic detours and distraction.
And too less practical hints - there should be something like a brochure or an (e)book for a linear understanding.
Will there be a German version too?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thank you very much for looking into this!
GeneFC wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:40 pm The level of detail is very deep. So much, in fact, that I wonder who is the target audience? Absolute beginners or those who may not really understand the concept of constraints and solvers may want the detail.
That is a very good question and I have to confess, that this tutorial developed some previously unintended "autonomy". While writing I more and more had the feeling that the basics have to be mentioned. So the audience is absolute beginners on one side. They can simply go through the simple exercises and learn how to create sketches - hoping they will not develop bad habits. I have seen many of those bad habits, so the tutorial might be useful for people with considerable experience as well, hoping that they can not only follow some advice, but rather understand why things are recommended.
I wonder if a bit of arrangement would be useful. For example, at some point just explain the geometries and their specific constraint types without the extra verbiage of examples.
I have to think about this. I had in mind to create an accompanying video, because there seem to be many people where only a video tutorial is a good tutorial. I hope that some of the in-depth information can there be collected more on just passing by.
In any case this looks like an important resource, and you have already made a strong start.
Thanks again!
Isabel

Post by Isabel »

Hi Chris,
thank you very much for this document. I have used Sketcher with pretty much success until now, but working through your tutorial shows that there were considerable gaps. I like the information about the DOF of every geometric element. I never much thought about it, just used them and tried afterwards to get things sorted.
Please continue soon with the constraints.
Isabel