Sketcher tutorial

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Sketcher tutorial

Post by chrisb »

Isabel wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:24 pm Can you tell me, why there are two different messages for the same thing? The "Unsolved" example seems to be just "Overconstrained". Similar with the "Redundant" case and the example with the additional equality constraints. The latter seems to be nothing else than redundant.
You are right from a users point of view. I guess the difference comes from the solver's possibilities. I had some time ago talked to Abdullah about the not reported redundant constraints, and IIRC he said that they are simply discarded by the solver, if they don't do any harm. Which menas that they don't lead to inconsistencies. When writing this tutorial I have found some new aspects like suddenly fixing a sketch so that I will reopen the discussion.

As for the conflicting constraints, I guess that the solver simply cannot propose a reasonable guess in some cases and thus reports the unsolved.

That's all I can say, perhaps Abdullah can shed more light on this.
abdullah wrote:Abdullah
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
salp

Post by salp »

chrisb,

That is truly great work, I have tried to write a tutorial in the past and I could not get past trying to format the document.
Are you using a document template, also do yo have a patreon account?

Sal
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

salp wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:44 am That is truly great work, I have tried to write a tutorial in the past and I could not get past trying to format the document.
Are you using a document template, also do yo have a patreon account?
Thanks for the supporting words. I use LaTeX to typeset my documents, not wysiwyg but perfect for my needs. One of the oldtimers in the open software world.

I dont have a patreon account yet, but it might be a good idea. I would combine it with an offer to double whatever I get there - well, up to a certain amount - to support students to work on FreeCAD.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

chrisb wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:55 am Since long I wanted to create a Sketcher tutorial. Here is a first go, currently as a pdf, I would like to provide it as HTML and video as well.
bejant wrote:ping
Would you mind having a look?
I didn't get notified at all and just stumbled across this topic yesterday. After seeing that you had quoted me, I would have expected to be notified by the User Control Panel and by e-mail.

I glanced over the .pdf included in the first post, and I didn't see anything major. I think it will be a big help and good reference for people using Sketcher.

I hope to have a more thorough look in the next few days and I also need to read through this thread as well.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bejant wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:35 pm I hope to have a more thorough look in the next few days and I also need to read through this thread as well.
If you haven't started yet, please wait until tomorrow evening. I will upload an extended version then.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Ok (I won't be doing more FreeCAD stuff today anyway).
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

bejant wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:35 pm I didn't get notified at all and just stumbled across this topic yesterday. After seeing that you had quoted me, I would have expected to be notified by the User Control Panel and by e-mail.
Creating a "fake" (sorry for the loaded word in your country) quote does not send an email notification. I'm guessing it does not add a notification in the User Control Panel for the same reason that there is no topic linked by the quote? (I had hoped and assumed that it would in the latter case)

Personally I stopped monitoring the User Control Panel altogether, I simply cannot keep track of all notifications that pile up in that thing.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I'm trying something: quoting my previous reply, then switching my nickname for somebody else's. This will link to a "real" reply here. Let's see if he gets an email! :D

abdullah wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:00 pm ping
If you get an email notification abdullah, please tell us - and sorry for using you as Guinea pig but you're the only one who had not replied to chrisb's topic so far.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

NormandC wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:07 pm I'm trying something: quoting my previous reply, then switching my nickname for somebody else's. This will link to a "real" reply here. Let's see if he gets an email! :D

abdullah wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:00 pm ping
If you get an email notification abdullah, please tell us - and sorry for using you as Guinea pig but you're the only one who had not replied to chrisb's topic so far.
What you need to really ping an user is not the name but the user_id
If you click on your test to ping Abdullah, you will be linked to NormandC because of the same user_id.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

You're right! I had ignored the user_id field. :oops:

Okay then, this may mean that we can actually create a "fake" quote that will produce an email notification, if we add the user_id field with the proper ID.

Second try with proper user_id:

abdullah wrote: ping
Code:

Code: Select all

[quote=abdullah user_id=3232]
ping
[/quote]