Sketcher tutorial

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jruiz

Re: Sketcher tutorial

Post by jruiz »

openBrain wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:45 am
jruiz wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:57 pm Would you mind to send me your LaTeX source?
JFYI, I translated in French using OmegaT software. This is a CAT software that basically parses the original LateX and exposes to user only the translatable segments.
Honestly parsing is not perfect, but this is the best FOSS CAT I found. ;)

Edit : among advantages of this, when chrisb updates the source, the CAT points changed segments that need to be checked/updated.
Ok. Thank you very much.
Gonna take a look...
I have uploaded many FreeCAD video tutorials to my YouTube channel
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Happy Easter and good morning!

This is about the French version translated by openBrain of my Sketcher document. When typesetting I came across some special french guidelines and would like to ask, if it is the right way to typeset. The typesetting follows the "Lexiquedes règles typographiques en usage à l’Imprimerie Nationale”, but there are some questions left, if it is appropriate for such a rather technical document.
  • Quotes (Guillemets)
    Which quotes should be used to distinguish special items. Should I use the guillemets as I have done for Contraintes auto and Éviter les contraintes auto redondantes at the top of the image or the double quotes as in "Ligne" at the bottom? If I understand it well, the latter should be used if occurring inside of a guillemets-enclosed section, but I'm not sure.
    A different approach would avoid the quoting and replace it e.g with italics.
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-12 um 08.02.27.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-12 um 08.02.27.png (118.47 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
  • Indentation
    Normally the first line of a paragraph should be indented. Should I do this here as well despite the sometimes very short paragraphs and the technical nature of the document. The images show the differences:
    With additional indentation
    With additional indentation
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-12 um 08.43.49.png (142.32 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
    Without indentation
    Without indentation
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-12 um 08.44.33.png (134.41 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
  • Emdashes
    In English writing the emdashes seperating different parts of a sentence similar to a comma are longer and are written without space between the words. In french they seem to be slightly shorter and have spaces. Then there are the very short dashes, which are used to denote a sequence in the following image. How should they be distinguished? For now I have reduced the spacing around the short dashes:
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-12 um 10.12.10.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-12 um 10.12.10.png (31.59 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
  • No additional space after a dot ending a sentence (spaces were probably all used up before these characters ? : ! ; ... :) )
  • Bullet lists
    In English and German documents bullet lists have on top level bullets, and on deeper nesting levels different symbols. In French only dashes with different indentations are used. Is this appropriate here as well?
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-12 um 10.52.16.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-12 um 10.52.16.png (143.67 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
  • Dot in description lists
    In the following image the bold description items end with a dot. In German this is unusual. How is it in French?
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-12 um 10.23.40.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-12 um 10.23.40.png (225.67 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
  • Number format
    Numbers will be typeset as 8,09 instead of 8.09
  • degree symbol
    I have read that for temperatures there is always a space between the number and the degree symbol (20 ° C), while for alcoholic strength no space is added (13°). I'm talking only about angles and would like to know if space has to be added there too?
Please note that I want to make it as good as possible, not necessaryly efficient. Many of the things described can be done automatically anyway.
openBrain wrote:ping
jpg87 wrote:ping
GlouGlou wrote:ping
papyblaise wrote:ping
It was already difficult for me to write this in English, and my French is not sufficient for a post in the French forum. It would be very kind if one of the french members could forward this to the french forum, so that users not being spoiled by too much English can participate in the discussion. You won't have to translate it back, hopefully my French is good enough to understand.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

chrisb wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:53 am Happy Easter and good morning!
Happy Easter too. As a global answer, I'd say let's be pragmatic. :)
What I propose is that you generate the draft French version (I already saw a mistake in a screenshot you posted) as it is. ;)
I'll publish it in the French subforum along with a translation of the points you have here. There will probably tons of remarks and I'll gather them all before doing the feedback to you.
I myself had some wondering (should I translate "sketch", should I translate solver messages, ...). Once remarks are there, I'll fix those that are at translation level and tells you ones that are at document generation level. ;)
But honestly, I don't expect the French colleagues to grumble because double quotes aren't real academic French ones... :D
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The "good morning" was a bit daring, but I started writing that post around 6:30 in the morning ...

I will upload the french version soon, I just have to rearrange some images. Due to different indentations there are weird linebreaks of images which should stay on one line.

Will report back.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

openBrain wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:07 am I don't expect the French colleagues to grumble because double quotes aren't real academic French ones...
So don't I, but I would like to get it as good as possible so that it is easy to read, and the effort is not really high.

Here is the preliminary french version: https://owncloud.gwdg.de/index.php/s/Bu ... U/download.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

French translation thread for reference. Please post there all comments related to French version.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I proudly present: Forum user jruiz has translated the document and created a Spanish version.
Comments are very welcome, I can correct small things myself, other comments can be handled by jruiz.
jruiz

Post by jruiz »

chrisb wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:26 am I proudly present: Forum user jruiz has translated the document and created a Spanish version.
Comments are very welcome, I can correct small things myself, other comments can be handled by jruiz.
Good morning.
Just sent a message to the Spanish Forum announcing the the Spanish version and inviting the people to make the observations they consider useful for improving the Spanish translation.

Regards.
I have uploaded many FreeCAD video tutorials to my YouTube channel
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have been asked recently by several people to place the Sketcher Lecture in a more prominent place so that it is easier to find. As I am not The Big Selfpromoter and as it is already mentioned in the wiki, I would leave such a discussion and decision to the FreeCAD community.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

chrisb wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:22 pm I have been asked recently by several people to place the Sketcher Lecture in a more prominent place so that it is easier to find...
I think the wiki is the ideal place to centralize this type of information which is why I created the page that links to this thread.

However, since the wiki can't host many files, and the forum isn't a hosting service either, it would make sense to use another hosting service.

Maybe you'd like to upload it as well to https://github.com/FreeCAD/Examples, where some example files are hosted. Storing things that aren't code in Github is also not ideal, but maybe you can use it to keep different versions, like v0.17, v0.18, v0.19, etc. This could even be your personal GitHub repository.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.