Sketcher tutorial

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Sketcher tutorial

Post by chrisb »

I'm sure that the solver is not affected by a change as solving remains exactly as before. Possibly a feature request exists?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I can't find it...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for searching, so it's my turn to create a feature request.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I had promised to rework the tutorial today, but as so often, things are more complicated than expected. I decided to adapt things from 0.17 to 0.18 and that will take some more time - and some more sleep.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@chrisb
Some feedback:
On page 1, section 1.1
typo: Sketcher->Create sketch
fix: Sketch->Create sketch

On page 5:
Change the section 'The grid' to 'Edit controls' because it's not clear (to me) that Edit controls (I'm on Linux) is a separate window in the side-panel.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Somehow this has dropped to the end of my priority list. Time to revive it!
denisnooby

Post by denisnooby »

Wonderful tutorial! It has the level of detail that I, as a raw beginner, need.
Comment: Chapter 37, External Geometry. There is no escape (or other exit, to my understanding) from the external geometry mode. Shouldn't there be an escape after selecting the upper line in the SketchBlock?

-Denis
brucehvn

Post by brucehvn »

denisnooby wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:47 pm Comment: Chapter 37, External Geometry. There is no escape (or other exit, to my understanding) from the external geometry mode. Shouldn't there be an escape after selecting the upper line in the SketchBlock?

-Denis
When using any of the drawing tools, constraint tools, or the external geometry selection, a right-click of the mouse will usually take you out of that mode.
MSOlsen65

Post by MSOlsen65 »

Hi Chris,

Thanks again for your clarification of parts vs. bodies. I just downloaded your tutorial PDF, and at first glance I am highly impressed! :) You, and the FreeCAD community as a whole, are a great example of what such forums should be -- patient, positive, supportive groups helping everyone to grow and do better.

Myself, I tend to be one of those that need to be lead step by step the first time. Once I understand the "why" for doing something a certain way, then I can apply it to any situation and derive the "how to"; until then however, I'm like a baby learning to swim for the first time. So while a starting point may be intuitive to others, I'm one of those constantly asking "... where did that come from?" I truly appreciate your more basic approach as it allows me to better follow along and to better apply concepts to new problems later. :D

I'm hoping to give your PDF a thorough read this weekend and will do my best to provide questions for clarity and positive feedback so you can judge how effective you are being with at least one of the "lead by the hand" beginners. ;)

Again, thanks for have such an great community.
Sincerely,

Michael S. Olsen
Electrical Engineer & Joiner
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks! Of course I am very much interested in positive feedback, but also in negative, in order to improve the document. This may take some time, I'm not yet through with other comments.