Sketcher tutorial

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bejant
Veteran

Re: Sketcher tutorial

Post by bejant »

chrisb wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:11 pm I have changed the pdf creation again, so please tell me if you encounter problems,
On Page 15 the circle icons didn't display properly for me and I don't think it was this way in the previous versions:
20180904a.png
20180904a.png (10.56 KiB) Viewed 1905 times

The 2 other circle icons further down the page displayed the same (didn't look right). Is it just me or does anyone else see them that way too?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bejant wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:19 am The 2 other circle icons further down the page displayed the same (didn't look right).
It is corrected. It was an error from my side: I use LaTeX for document creation and it seems to handle images differently on my different systems. Deleting the alpha channel from the images seemed to fix things but degraded arcs (among few others which I hopefully had found).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
evanshultz

Post by evanshultz »

Thanks for this tutorial! I read through it so far and attached a few comments. Hopefully it's useful and you find time to complete the remaining sections soon!
Attachments
a_sketcher_lecture_comments.txt
(4.69 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

evanshultz wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:38 pm Thanks for this tutorial! I read through it so far and attached a few comments. Hopefully it's useful and you find time to complete the remaining sections soon!
Thank you for the comments, I will look through them soon. I appreciate it very much that your first post to this forum is already a help contribution.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
hammax
Veteran

Post by hammax »

… translating into German I'm actually at page 26 (Polygon).
Something like evanshultz' comments is helpful.
Most work is reformatting the TEX and dividing into smaller parts.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

hammax wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:04 am … translating into German I'm actually at page 26 (Polygon).
Something like evanshultz' comments is helpful.
Most work is reformatting the TEX and dividing into smaller parts.
Oh nooooo! We have worked in parallel :evil: . I have just finished the polygon and started with the slot. So I stop here and continue with the constraints.
hammax
Veteran

Post by hammax »

Hi Chris,
better you make it / continue at your own style.
I'm introducing too much mess into your formatting and file-order.
Attachments
Sketcher_Teil_2.zip
(821.32 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

chrisb wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:55 am Would you mind having a look? The more interesting part for Abdullah would come with the constraints part.
The block constraint could be completed with the information about that any previous contraint on the blocked curve is ignored at solver level, so a big warning it can lead to problems if it is a dimensional constraint.

I would refer to "curve", as a bspline is neither an arc nor a segment, and can be blocked. Maybe mention its artistic value and its inability to create "exact" geometry (maybe unless one drafts with the snap to grid and then blocks... I actually never tried this, it may be the dream of an AutoCAD user trying to use FC :lol: )

I think you have done a great work. I will try to continue to make sure you never actually end it :lol:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

abdullah wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:50 am The block constraint could be completed with the information about that any previous contraint on the blocked curve is ignored at solver level, so a big warning it can lead to problems if it is a dimensional constraint.

I would refer to "curve", as a bspline is neither an arc nor a segment, and can be blocked. Maybe mention its artistic value and its inability to create "exact" geometry (maybe unless one drafts with the snap to grid and then blocks... I actually never tried this, it may be the dream of an AutoCAD user trying to use FC :lol: )

I think you have done a great work. I will try to continue to make sure you never actually end it :lol:
Thanks for the comments - and the flowers, as we say overhere. I am currently translating to german and when I come to the block constraint I will change it before translating.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

chrisb wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:53 am Thanks for the comments - and the flowers, as we say overhere. I am currently translating to german and when I come to the block constraint I will change it before translating.
I must add that I learnt that you can use the symmetry constraint with reference to a line in any order. I have always done it by selecting the line the last, and it is always in the middle, so it is much more ergonomic to select when passing by :)