Sketcher tutorial

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
HarryGeier
Veteran

Re: Sketcher tutorial

Post by HarryGeier »

Hannu wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:01 pm Part of that might be the fact that coincident constarints do not show up in the sketch, the same way that others do (with a symbol).
I agree that it is sometimes hinderly, even though it´s less clutter. There is a similar small issue that sometimes makes me mad:
If , especially pointoncurve is there twice, you can´t select either of the overlaying icons , you allway have to use the constraint finder. Maybe some idea for a 0.19 wish to overwork constraint display in sketcher a little.
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/
Gray Area

Post by Gray Area »

I downloaded this tutorial the other day.

I give my thanks to chrisb and everyone who has worked with him in the making of this tutorial.

Gray Area
onesz

Post by onesz »

@chrisb
Thank you for your effort for this tutorial.
It is really helpful.

Is it free to use and translate?
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

@chrisb, tutorial in chapter about Point element tells :

Code: Select all

The point serves only as construction geometry. It is not possible to construct a sketch containing only a point as real geometry. (This would be desirable for Lofts which end in a single point.) This holds for the current version of 0.18, it might change in the future.
While it's correct with PartDesign AdditiveLoft, it seems possible with the Part Loft function.
I never tested myself, but it could be worth having a sidenote about that. ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The tutorial is about sketcher. It is not possible to use such a point in Part or PartDesign Loft.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

chrisb wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:28 pm The tutorial is about sketcher. It is not possible to use such a point in Part or PartDesign Loft.
Indeed. I just tested and you're definitely right. :)
I've been fooled by the wiki description that doesn't precise that only Draft point is allowed. ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I added a hint to Draft anyway, because that's the only way to to add a singular point. All other 2D stuff can be done in sketcher - and from my personal POV much better.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

With Loft and Sweep tools added to Part Design, I think a Sketch containing only a Point should be made valid for use in Part Design Loft and Sweep, if that is possible.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Some time ago there was a obelisk challenge? see https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?p=189531
The result of that was the same that the point is only a helper object but don't have a physical meaning. see also https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=24203

I maybe we have to add a feature request to it...
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

It should be thought about potential impacts. For me considering a point as a virtual geometry is meaningful.
As an exemple, I wouldn't that solver become less powerful because of that.
And honestly, using a point or a 1nm (nanometer) circle for lofting doesn't change things a lot. ;)