Essential Training for FreeCAD?

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Essential Training for FreeCAD?

Post by chrisb »

Jee-Bee wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:14 pm 73 pages... you have to much time on your hands :P
My hope was to write things only once and not again and again in the forum, where we don't have room enough to explain in depth the interaction between geometric elements and constraints.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

maybe we should post documents like these including the freecad books around here on the main page... so starters find them more easely
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

monkey wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:01 pm In terms of what I'm hoping to do with FreeCAD - I need to design a few little enclosures that I'll get made into molds. In solidworks there is a whole plastics whatsit that does everything you can think of (actually considerably more than I could think of).
I doubt that Mold tools would be included in the basic SolidWorks version.

Incidentally, this might be of interest to you: https://dezignstuff.com/solidworks-mold-tools/

monkey wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:01 pmAre there any similar capabilities in FreeCAD, for things like adding draft angles and checking them and compensating for shrinkage, or identifying potential design weaknesses?
There is no visual draft angle inspection that I know of. Maybe a macro?

For shrinkage compensation, in a manner of speaking, you can scale the object to be molded (which I believe is usually the first step in mold design). Identifying potential design weaknesses, not so much, unless that's included in stress analysis.

monkey wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:01 pmWill I be able to do some motion / stress analysis in FreeCAD.
There is no motion capability in FreeCAD, there are animation add-on workbenches but I've never tested them.

Just to remind you that in SolidWorks, you'll have to dedicate some time for training, you won't be able to get productive from the get-go. But, it comes with complete tutorials.

Good luck with your enterprise!
Kritischer

Post by Kritischer »

Please accept my apology for replying to a post that is a few years old. Some forums look down on this in favor of creating more recent posts while others don't seem to mind. I haven't been here long enough to get an idea for what the culture is like.

I'm wondering if in the last few years there has been any advancements towards some kind of Freecad course. Like the OP here I am more than willing to pay. I'm more than willing to pay a few hundred dollars or more depending on course length and topic depth. My circumstance and situation is very close to theirs in that I am interested in designing cases and PCBs.

I know that it's not difficult to spend 2 minutes searching youtube and google for "Freecad tutorial" and that there are many videos. I've been down that road for several embarrassing hours, enough to know that It's going to cost me more time than I have to weed through all of the repeated information, grandstanding and useless dialog that accompanies a lot of what I've been trying to use. I don't mean to seem as ungrateful as I probably do about something so awesome that is Free, and the already free videos out there.

I know that nothing is going to simply make me "know" how to do what I know FreeCAD can do. I know that there's no way for you as the reader of this post to make any assumptions about what I might want actually do.

For most people learning happens primarily through repetition and failure. However... the breadth and depth of the solutions FreeCAD can provide can also be so entirely dizzying that people like us (me+OP) don't even know where to begin.

I'll shut up now and just state the question like it is...

"Bump. Any paid courses that anyone can recommend in 2021?"
HarryGeier
Veteran

Post by HarryGeier »

Hello,

well, as of FreeCAD´s Nature, beeing dynamically developed by a communitiy of volunteers, not really beeing steered at all, this is a logical consequence.

Some individuals and groups have started initatives for such in the past , but got stuck for this and that reason. Some of them probably also have thought of much more feedback and also (more) monetary success. Therefore i am not aware of such a course or courseware.
I made a bunch of videos for 0.17 and 0.18 , but also paused that , or lowered activitiy, due to other occupations and other reasons.
I think i will restart creating them , based on 0.19 now.

Anyway, if you are still interested in personal training and helop, you may contact me via my mail adress, found on my youtube videos.
Assuming you speak German from your nickname, this can of course be German .

Harry
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

Kritischer wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:35 pm ...
Hello,
I don't know what your starting level is.
I hope not to be pretentious when I say that the website that I have been developing for several years is aimed at novice users who want to develop a structured and scalable approach from simple examples :
http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr/index.php
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
Agter_os

assistance required

Post by Agter_os »

Hi
I'm a newbie to FreeCAD, just completed my first model in part design and saved it. I subsequently re-opened the saved model and want to continue building and editing on it but I cant figure out how to get it active again
chrisb
Veteran

Re: assistance required

Post by chrisb »

Agter_os wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:47 pm I cant figure out how to get it active again
Double click on the body or use the right mouse menu.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.