0.18 Quick Reference Guides Are Released

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
leeon

Re: 0.18 Quick Reference Guides Are Released

Post by leeon »

paullee wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:03 am Hi @leeon

Are the translation already used in the FC User Interface itself ? I never try to turn into translated interface other than English

Floor 樓板 maybe better as 樓層

Window is correct, but as it produce door
- should it better be 門窗
感谢指正。有一些也直接用软件界面的翻译,主要也是刚刚用freecad最为主力软件。
我在翻译时,也三有些纠结的,有一些想改为自己的,特别是一些主谓顺序之类,其实这些就是在国内大家习惯也不一样(方言厉害)。
所以有一些还算遵照软件本体的翻译。
我也在将我之前的编程拿起来,看能不能对软件做一些贡献。
但我认为当务之急还是软件的推广,用的人多了就好很多了。
主要我们人多不是。
我会加油的。
致力于FreeCAD的推广。

FreeCADweb.cn
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

leeon wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:36 pm
感谢指正。有一些也直接用软件界面的翻译,主要也是刚刚用freecad最为主力软件。
所以有一些还算遵照软件本体的翻译。
主要我们人多不是。
我会加油的。

Maybe you can also help aligning the translation in the FC User Interface against the Handbook / Help ?

It is good to have more programmer as well :D
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

leeon wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:36 pm 感谢指正。有一些也直接用软件界面的翻译,主要也是刚刚用freecad最为主力软件。
所以有一些还算遵照软件本体的翻译。
主要我们人多不是。
我会加油的。
Please this is an english spoken forum keep it that way. If you want to speak Chinese do it in you own subforum!!
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

paullee wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:03 am Hi @leeon

Are the translation already used in the FC User Interface itself ? I never try to turn into translated interface other than English

Floor 樓板 maybe better as 樓層

Window is correct, but as it produce door
- should it better be 門窗
leeon wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:36 pm
johnwang wrote:
Hi @leeon, @johnquicker, @johnwang and others - maybe please forward to those who read / write Chinese in this forum?

I just have a glance at the Chinese interface of FC (I never change the language before :) )

Find some translation 'not quite understandable' :) Understanding @johnquicker, @leeon etc. attempt to do some translation, I wonder who is doing the translation of the FC Interface Chinese Language itself. Maybe the effort could be united ...

Floor is 地面 in the Traditional Chinese (TC) interface which is just not correct in the context
(similarly Simplified Chinese is 樓板 which maybe better as 樓層 as discussed) ...

Site in Simplified Chinese is 埸地 which is better then TC 位置 ...

I am pinging @Yorik (sorry to bother :) ) to give some advice.
yorik wrote:
Hi, @Yorik, I have no idea who is doing translation on the FC user interface ... now it seem the FC interface Chinese Traditional / Simplified and @leeon, @johnquicker's translation works on manual / handbook (?) use different terminologies.

Any idea, anyone/moderators you would direct to, simple directions how these different efforts could be united and to align the terms to be used?

Thanks!

Oops! Screencaptures do not show the drop down boxes... anyway

EDIT: BTW, Jee-Bee is right - use English here 'for the moment', change language in the Chinese Forum :)

Screenshot from 2019-03-23 16-06-23.png
Screenshot from 2019-03-23 16-06-23.png (157.52 KiB) Viewed 4856 times
Screenshot from 2019-03-23 16-07-00.png
Screenshot from 2019-03-23 16-07-00.png (155.86 KiB) Viewed 4856 times
MSOlsen65

Post by MSOlsen65 »

bejant wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:13 am FreeCAD 0_18 Quick Reference Guide 01 - GUI and Navigation.pdf ...
FreeCAD 0_18 Quick Reference Guide 14 - ...
bejant are you planning on updating these now that v0.19.2 is the official (stable) release?

If so, would you like help, and if not, may I carry on your work?

Either way, I have downloaded the ODT files and can begin any time. Thanks again for your hard and impressive work.
Sincerely,

Michael S. Olsen
Electrical Engineer & Joiner
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

MSOlsen65 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:54 pm bejant are you planning on updating these now that v0.19.2 is the official (stable) release?
He may be ghosting the forum, but the last time he was logged in was May 2020.

Gene
MSOlsen65

Post by MSOlsen65 »

GeneFC wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:27 pm He may be ghosting the forum, but the last time he was logged in was May 2020.

Gene
Thanks for the info Gene. I was going to give him some time. After all, it is always good manners to ask the original author what their intentions are. For all we know, he could already have done a tone of update work. So it is only reasonable to give him a chance to speak up. :D Besides, the Quick Reference Guides are not on the Wiki, they are PDF and ODF files. Thus no real rush. Also, there's a ton of formatting changes to make that will greatly reduce both file size and load/process times especially when rendered in PDF format. So there is plenty of work to do before I need his answer. :D

All the same. knowing that he has been out of touch for over a year is much appreciated. It helps me plan out my workflow a bit better. :ugeek: As things stand, I figure I won't be done with the formatting changes earlier than Friday. There are a ton of missing Wiki links to be added. The icon sizes should be scaled down a bit (say the default size provided by the program) to make the overall pages more readable and more concise. Finally, I need to do a serious comparison against v.0.19.2 to see what gets dropped and what gets added. All that has to be taken care of before I can actually start making changes to the contents, and that will only get me through to the first rough draft. So like I said plenty of work ("trained monkey editing") before I need to know where he stands.

Again, your support is helpful and greatly appreciated. If you know of anyone who has ideas or suggestions, please send them here or tell them to PM me. I welcome all comments, and will try to respond to all, but my daily schedule gets a bit choppy August and September, so please let them know to be patient.
Sincerely,

Michael S. Olsen
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

It's not going to be relevant for 0.19 but there's a current discussion regarding the sketcher shortcuts: https://www.forum.freecadweb.org/viewto ... =8&t=59082
MSOlsen65

Post by MSOlsen65 »

M4x wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:51 am It's not going to be relevant for 0.19 but there's a current discussion regarding the sketcher shortcuts ...
Thanks for the information. :D

Right now the idea is to get out something for the current stable version, v.0.19.2. There are a number of formatting and other issues that need to be addressed that will significantly reduce file size and complexity of the 0.18 Quick Reference Guides. These changes will also render a far superior PDF while simultaneously reducing its file size. So for the moment, I simply do not have the ability to look beyond v.0.19.2. That said, many of the changes being made will also make updating to v.0.20.x much simpler and faster. So the Sketcher shortcuts will definitely be given due consideration, just not right now.

Again, thanks for the info. If you are interested in helping with or following the development, I have stated a new discussion at: Quick Reference Guides (QRG) FreeCAD v.0.19.2 . Your input will definitely be appreciated. :D
Sincerely,

Michael S. Olsen