tutorial introducing Dodo

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
oddtopus

tutorial introducing Dodo

Post by oddtopus »

Hi All, I spent some time curing the details of Dodo WB and removing few bugs.
So I took the opportunity to make a new tutorial also to introduce few new features.
Hope it's usefull.

phpBB [video]
paullee
Veteran

Re: tutorial introducing Dodo

Post by paullee »

Thanks! Pretty ease to understand and efficient workflow !
Smiling_user

Post by Smiling_user »

Is it possible, and how, to trim end of profiles
end-to-end
end-to-surface

like in this post https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 28#p420914
Profiles are trimmed one to another at 45 degree.

And another thing (did not find anywhere):
On open the "FrameBranchManager" parses the \Mod\dodo\tablez directory and looks for all files named as "Section*.*"
So it is possible to add your sizes of profile through csv editing directly.
Would be nice, to see the workflow to edit/add completely new shapes(2D cros-sections ) of profiles.

With respect: Very nice and highly needed workbench.
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

oddtopus wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:43 pm Hi All, I spent some time curing the details of Dodo WB and removing few bugs.
So I took the opportunity to make a new tutorial also to introduce few new features.
Hope it's usefull.

phpBB [video]
Hello @oddtopus and many thanks for your amazing work. I am working with dodo WB and studied source code. one thing:

for non-standard shape or sketch it seems program not behave as expectation like this image:
portal.png
portal.png (5.97 KiB) Viewed 5211 times
section.png
section.png (2.63 KiB) Viewed 5211 times
oddtopus

Post by oddtopus »

ebrahim raeyat wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:44 am for non-standard shape or sketch it seems program not behave as expectation like this image:
Hi,
if I remember well, when you make a custom profile, two things affect the beam position and orientation:
  • where you draw the shape respect to the origin, because center-line of the beam is the origin of the section
  • the direction of the lines: if you use a DWire to draw the section you must draw the shape counter-clockwise
So complicated shapes may miss one or both rules and not be computed correctly.

If you wish to dig some Python code see this: then look at the several _Profile* definitions and the drawAndCenter() function. Finally switch to the ArchProfile module to read the _Profile class constructor.
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

oddtopus wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:35 pm
ebrahim raeyat wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:44 am for non-standard shape or sketch it seems program not behave as expectation like this image:
Hi,
if I remember well, when you make a custom profile, two things affect the beam position and orientation:
  • where you draw the shape respect to the origin, because center-line of the beam is the origin of the section
  • the direction of the lines: if you use a DWire to draw the section you must draw the shape counter-clockwise
So complicated shapes may miss one or both rules and not be computed correctly.

If you wish to dig some Python code see this: then look at the several _Profile* definitions and the drawAndCenter() function. Finally switch to the ArchProfile module to read the _Profile class constructor.
Thanks. Yes I studied your code and Arch profile. I copy points from ArchProfile for creating IPE and Rectangle shapes. I want to draw steel column type, related topic:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=49509

As you said, for complicated shape the behavior is non predicted. Thanks.