Assembly4 tutorial

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Zolko
Veteran

Assembly4 tutorial

Post by Zolko »

Hello,

I have put together a step-by-step tutorial on how to use the Assembly4 workbench, with a very simple assembly containing 1 axis and 3 bearings::

https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_As ... TORIAL1.md
Asm_tuto1_final.png
Asm_tuto1_final.png (308.44 KiB) Viewed 17648 times

EDIT: path has been updated
Last edited by Zolko on Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
iplayfast

Re: Assembly4 tutorial

Post by iplayfast »

Wow, a lot of work went into that. I haven't gone through it yet. Hopefully, the size of the tutorial is due to carefully documenting every step, and the actual doing is not so long.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Hello,

I've made a second tutorial in modelling with FreeCAD and Assembly4. It explains how to make an assembly in one file (one document) and using a master-sketch to animate the movement of the parts.
tuto2_animateAssembly.png
tuto2_animateAssembly.png (286.48 KiB) Viewed 15902 times
dwebman

Post by dwebman »

Zolko, thank you for the inspired work you are doing on the Assembly 4 workbench. My intuition tells me your approach will add huge functionality to this wonderful program.
I have read all 32 pages of comments and tried to work through the two tutorials you have given. Tutorial 1 was completed successfully. I'm still trying to figure out tutorial 2. As you can probably tell, I'm quite a rookie compared to most of the commentators. I found that with tutorial 1 I was able to follow the instructions of how but was having trouble with the logic of why.
In reviewing the Assembly 4 documentation, I came across: "the principle of Assembly 4 is to match coordinate systems in the assembly and in the part" and I realized this was my problem. As Yogi Berra said: "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." The point of confusion for me was the process of using the Mapmode window and my total lack of understanding of the choices presented and which to use for a specific outcome.
Perhaps a really dumbed down tutorial, say the assembly of a box with a base and top, with an explanation of why the placement of each LCS in relation to others.
I also really like your technique of a functional structure approach and would like to see how you would do this for the aforementioned suggested structure.
I know these are baby steps to you and most of your readers on this forum, but remember, something is easy if you know how to do it, but getting there, that's the rub.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

dwebman wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:00 pm Tutorial 1 was completed successfully ... Perhaps a really dumbed down tutorial
Nice, congratulations. Tutorial 1 was supposed to be the dumbest of possible assemblies (2 different parts, 4 in total), I really don't know how to simplify it further.
dwebman

Post by dwebman »

Hi Zolkol,
Well I completed the tutorial 2. It was full of great instruction that enabled me to complete the assembly of a simple box and from there the assembly of a tool cabinet with shelves, drawers and old fashioned joinery (still a work in progress but, thanks to this tutorial, I've cracked the mystery of matching LCSs). It sure is a great way to do it, especially the top down design approach. Thanks for all your hard work on this project. I'm always amazed at how smart, smart people actually are.
I build furniture, mainly with hand tools, using traditional joinery techniques and will find a tool like FreeCad and the Assembly 4 workbench tremendous help in visualizing and mapping the pieces that fit together to form the whole. Though not as challenging as some of the projects I see your readers using this worbench for, its been a real thrill for an old guy like me to be able to figure out how to apply it to my needs, I look forward to using it for more complex, non box structures like a rocking chair I've been puzzling over for the past while. Thanks again and good luck in your career.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

dwebman wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:43 am Thanks again and good luck in your career.
thank-you very much for your kind words. As for my career, it's quite advanced, and yes, sometimes I was lucky. Sometimes less, that's the way life goes I guess.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

good news, user dubstar-04 has made a video for the tutorial 1 of the Assembly4 workbench: https://youtu.be/n04M6nFvdxs. Enjoy:

phpBB [video]
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Since I started using FreeCAD, several years ago, I have been watching the various assembly workbenches evolve. I've been using A2Plus for a while, probably only since 0.18 and since, maybe last July, 0.19.

I saw Assembly4, tried it couple times, but kept using A2Plus because I already knew how to drive it. :lol: I saw this tutorial mentioned on the FreeCAD Facebook group and have now gone through it and the written version. And looked at the second tutorial.

I curious about some things.

From what I've observed there are some requirements with Assembly4. That being:

- the various pieces of the assembly (a bearing, a screw, a bracket, shaft, etc.) are required to be in a container called a Model (in the model tree of a given fcstd file). Does this mean any previously complete FreeCAD fcstd part needs to be moved into a Model container before use with an assembly?

- I don't have any problem with the local coordinate system concept. Is it required for every model and every possible constraint? Is it possible to just use the coordinate system of the part? (in the case when the parts coordinate system is sufficient).

- What are the long term plans for assembly in FreeCAD? Seems having competing workbenches will further confuse new users as they already get confused between Part WB, Part Design WB, Draft WB, etc. Is there any thought to converging on one assembly modelling process? (i.e. A2Plus doesn't need the user to add a Model container or LCS)

- Is there a use case for different assembly modeling workbenches?

Note: this is just me musing. :) And wondering where to focus learning.

And BTW: Assembly4 is great work! :D
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

drmacro wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:04 pm ... Is there any thought to converging on one assembly modelling process? ...
Is A2plus Workbench the best solution for all cases? And can it handle absolutely every type of assembly and animation that you can think of? If not, then that means the assembly question is still not resolved.

The various assembly workbenches exist because different developers saw different approaches to create groupings of objects. This is still not finished work and nothing is set in stone. One of the assembly workbenches could rise as the official one, or they all could be combined into one; it depends on both the users and developers. A single user or developer isn't going to make this decision; it's the community at large, the users, by using the software, the ones that will decide the winners of this developing process. Assembly3, A2plus, Assembly4? Get united!
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.