FreeCAD Basics

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dubstar-04

FreeCAD Basics

Post by dubstar-04 »

I've been working on some FreeCAD Basics video to help people get up to speed with FreeCAD.

Playlist here:

phpBB [video]

I have quite a few videos planned but if there is anything that you would like to see please let me know.

Thanks,

Dan
vocx
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Basics

Post by vocx »

dubstar-04 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:53 pm ...
I have quite a few videos planned but if there is anything that you would like to see please let me know.
My only suggestion is to keep the videos organized in playlists with meaningful names, and always state the version of the software.

The videos look good, I'll add them to the video tutorials page.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

How to build a Barrel Sauna :D 8-)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:57 pm How to build a Barrel Sauna :D 8-)
Not sure that would class as basics! 🤣
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I don't understand. Was this sauna modeled with FreeCAD?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
RoCNC

Post by RoCNC »

Are you planning to make a vid about workbench Path? If so, I would be interested in help on how to mill a part that is bigger than the working area of my milling machine. I could make such a part by shifting the stock material in between milling operations (making sure proper alignment is kept and so on).
However, I would not know how to split up the g-code accordingly. I have been looking around for an instructable for some time, but I couldn't find one up to now. A tip for an already existing instructable would also be appreciated :-)
PS I am a beginner using FreeCAD 0.18
I have succeeded in milling my first small part. First time right. Yes!
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:37 am I don't understand. Was this sauna modeled with FreeCAD?
No it wasn't. But it would be the subject of a great tutorial, IMHO
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

RoCNC wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:37 pm Are you planning to make a vid about workbench Path? If so, I would be interested in help on how to mill a part that is bigger than the working area of my milling machine. I could make such a part by shifting the stock material in between milling operations (making sure proper alignment is kept and so on).
However, I would not know how to split up the g-code accordingly. I have been looking around for an instructable for some time, but I couldn't find one up to now. A tip for an already existing instructable would also be appreciated :-)
PS I am a beginner using FreeCAD 0.18
I have succeeded in milling my first small part. First time right. Yes!
I will definately be making Path tutorials. The main reason I want to make videos is to help people get in to Path and get more people usining it.

Thanks,

Dan
RoCNC

Post by RoCNC »

Sounds great! I subscribed to your YouTube channel :D Hopefully you find my topic challenging enough.
MSOlsen65

Post by MSOlsen65 »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:57 pm How to build a Barrel Sauna :D 8-)
Wow! I helped build one of those and there is nothing "basic" about the construction. I hope the FreeCAD model is much less complex. At least there should be far fewer splinters. :lol:
Sincerely,

Michael S. Olsen
Electrical Engineer & Joiner