TechDraw workbench introduction tutorial

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
GeoffG

TechDraw workbench introduction tutorial

Postby GeoffG » Sun May 03, 2020 6:00 am

I've been very quiet on the forum for quite some time, and as a result I neglected to mention that I created an introductory video tutorial for the TechDraw workbench. It's mainly aimed at wood workers but it should be applicable for other users as well.

You can find it at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnYMfpdNQoo

I've also created a play list of other FreeCAD tutorial videos that I've created. It can be found at: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... CTClpUpGrt

I would certainly appreciate feedback on the videos.
vocx

Re: TechDraw workbench introduction tutorial

Postby vocx » Sun May 03, 2020 10:39 pm

GeoffG wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:00 am
You can find it at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnYMfpdNQoo
I've added your video to video tutorials, and your playlist to video tutorials for product design. I think I remember watching your channel at some point in the past.

Just a suggestion. TechDraw has greatly expanded in v0.19, so it would be great if you could make an updated video showcasing all tools of this version. I don't know if you keep up with the development version, but I suggest you try the new icons, and read the descriptions of the tools in the TechDraw Workbench page.

The main developer still adds code regularly, so some things may still change before 0.19 is released as stable, but I think there are enough new tools that you could document.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
GeoffG

Postby GeoffG » Mon May 04, 2020 10:39 am

Thanks for doing that for me.

I actually plan to go back and revisit the TechDraw workbench video once 0.19 is released. I have too many bad memories of trying to use and support software that was regularly changing that I prefer to use the "officially" released versions. I'm not trying to attack the developers when I say this because they have developed a wonderful piece of software and I'm really looking forward to 0.19 being released.

For the record, I'm really looking forward to some of the new TechDraw features becoming available - especially the ability to add centrelines to the drawing. I use centrelines a lot when designing and making woodworking projects so this feature will help enormously.
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Mon May 04, 2020 1:11 pm

GeoffG wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:39 am
I actually plan to go back and revisit the TechDraw workbench video once 0.19 is released. I have too many bad memories of trying to use and support software that was regularly changing that I prefer to use the "officially" released versions. I'm not trying to attack the developers when I say this because they have developed a wonderful piece of software and I'm really looking forward to 0.19 being released.

For the record, I'm really looking forward to some of the new TechDraw features becoming available - especially the ability to add centrelines to the drawing. I use centrelines a lot when designing and making woodworking projects so this feature will help enormously.
Actually we are unofficially behind on releasing 0.19. We have gone past the Annual release date. There is a very large debate why this is the case. You should really consider trying 0.19.x as vocx mentioned above, it is light years ahead of 0.18. You can also run them (0.18 and 0.19) in parallel on your machine. Just make sure to backup 0.18 files before you open them in 0.19 since they are not backward compatible once you open them on 0.19
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
GeoffG

Postby GeoffG » Mon May 04, 2020 1:34 pm

Oww...Owww...Owww...my arm hurts from all the twisting going on :lol:

Following vocx's comment I decided to download the 0.19 Linux AppImage and will have start having a "play" with it - probably this coming weekend. I've already penciled making a video on the changes to TechDraw in 0.19 but need to have a good play with it first so that I understand it.

Thanks for the encouragement
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Mon May 04, 2020 1:43 pm

GeoffG wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:34 pm
Oww...Owww...Owww...my arm hurts from all the twisting going on :lol:
:lol:
We need folks like yourself to help elucidate the awesomeness of TechDraw (and FreeCAD in general). So it's important you're up to date and in the loop.

Thanks for the great clip.
BTW, consider using a keyboard and mouse indicator in the videos so that people can see how you are interfacing with FreeCAD (this is a little widget that operates in the forefront of the screen that shows what mouse keys you are pressing and same for what keyboard keys are being pressed). Also consider showing the About screen of your version of FreeCAD before you start working in it in the video (so users can see what version/revision and what 3rd part dependencies you are using).
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
vocx

Postby vocx » Mon May 04, 2020 5:22 pm

GeoffG wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:34 pm
I've already penciled making a video on the changes to TechDraw in 0.19 but need to have a good play with it first so that I understand it.
Yes, I'm not asking you to fully adopt v0.19 at this point if you don't feel comfortable with it. I think just generally trying the new features is enough for you to notice how much it has improved.

The software is pretty stable. I mean, we occasionally make a bad commit and break the code, but this can usually be resolved in a matter of days.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
GeoffG

Postby GeoffG » Tue May 05, 2020 10:52 am

Kunda1 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:43 pm
BTW, consider using a keyboard and mouse indicator in the videos so that people can see how you are interfacing with FreeCAD (this is a little widget that operates in the forefront of the screen that shows what mouse keys you are pressing and same for what keyboard keys are being pressed). Also consider showing the About screen of your version of FreeCAD before you start working in it in the video (so users can see what version/revision and what 3rd part dependencies you are using).
I've only recently come across the "Guidelines for videos and tutorials" (https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=36205) and to be honest it hadn't occurred to me to do so previously. I'm going to start including some more of that information in my videos to make it easier for viewers.
GeoffG

Postby GeoffG » Tue May 05, 2020 10:58 am

vocx wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:22 pm
Yes, I'm not asking you to fully adopt v0.19 at this point if you don't feel comfortable with it. I think just generally trying the new features is enough for you to notice how much it has improved.
No worries. I will be giving it a go and while I may not switch over to 0.19 straight away, it does seem like a good opportunity to highlight the differences between the two versions - for example Video A has the 0.18 way of doing something, and video A+ has the 0.19 way plus additional features. Viewers can then decide which best suits them....just a thinking out loud
vocx wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:22 pm
The software is pretty stable. I mean, we occasionally make a bad commit and break the code, but this can usually be resolved in a matter of days.
I know what you mean. Unfortunately, bad commits are part and parcel of the development process - even through they shouldn't be. I'm embarrassed to admit that I made a few when I used to be a developer. At least I didn't have to buy beers on the occasions when I screwed up.
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:27 am

GeoffG wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:52 am
I've only recently come across the "Guidelines for videos and tutorials" (https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=36205) and to be honest it hadn't occurred to me to do so previously. I'm going to start including some more of that information in my videos to make it easier for viewers.
:+1: