Manual:BIM modeling tutorial tutorial

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rdbryant

Manual:BIM modeling tutorial tutorial

Post by rdbryant »

1) I have followed the tutorial, and placed a door and a window. My door does not match the door of the tutorial. Have I done something wrong in selecting simple door as per the tutorial, or did the author do something wrong in having a disconnect between the author's graphic and the user's output? (I have a solid door.)
2) When I placed the door in the incorrect location, as per the included graphics, and moved the door, the drawing did not match the author's. I had to search youtube for a hack. Should this be filed as a bug? Should the drawing refresh on its own or include a refresh button? Given that the tutorial is for newbies, should there be mention of the disconnect between the shown output and the student product so as to not waste student time?
3) Creating a slab. The author's instructions seem to have been written for a different program.
a) I press on the rectangle tool.
b) a rectangle Task area appears.
c) There is neither mention of global x nor global y in the tutorial, but there is on my version. There is no mention of either position, length or height in the Task area, but there is in the tutorial.
4) Why is a newbie tutorial already trying to tell me how to create custom windows? I want to be able to follow this tutorial, then erase it and repeat until I have it down pat. That is how newbies become non-newbies.

Could someone post steps that are appropriate for the current FreeCAD for this task?

Thanks,
Russ

FreeCAD: 0.18
vocx
Veteran

Re: Manual:BIM modeling tutorial tutorial

Post by vocx »

rdbryant wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:16 am 1) I have followed the tutorial,...
First of all, which tutorial? You should ALWAYS provide a link to it, because you should never expect that people will know exactly what you are talking about. You should also always provide the Important information.

Many tutorials online have been made over the years, but many of them were made with older versions of the program, and thus are now relatively obsolete. While the general process may still work, the interface, or some options of certain tools may have changed. You are strongly advised to follow tutorials meant for version 0.17 and above.

See Tutorials and Video tutorials for more options.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
rdbryant

Post by rdbryant »

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Manual:BIM_modeling

As I had copied the name of the tutorial from the title of the FreeCAD website, I thought that that would be sufficient. I will improve in future posts.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

rdbryant wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:16 am 1) I have followed the tutorial, and placed a door and a window. My door does not match the door of the tutorial. Have I done something wrong in selecting simple door as per the tutorial, or did the author do something wrong in having a disconnect between the author's graphic and the user's output? (I have a solid door.)
Indeed, the tutorial shows something like a glass door, probably difference in version / development.

Anyway, like @vocx says, putting more information like screencapture, your model file etc., help other to understand your problem.

In fact, despite some difference, that tutorial offer a very fundamental understanding of the suggested workflow.

Maybe this should be posted in Help or Draft, Arch and BIM to get more exposure ?
chrisb wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:16 am Ping - sorry not sure anyone is the designated moderator here ?