A newbie asking for help and guidance

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kcinod

A newbie asking for help and guidance

Post by Kcinod »

Hi everyone! I intended to learn FreeCAD by doing the basic which is starting with the tutorial particularly "Creating a simple part with PartDesign".

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Creating_a_ ... PartDesign

It may seem so basic as it seems, but I couldn't move on due to the following problems I encountered below:

1. I presume that when the dot turns yellow, it snaps perfectly to the origin (0,0). But even at (-1,-1) it's still yellow, is there setting for perfect snapping on the desired coordinates?
1.PNG
1.PNG (16.45 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
2. I don't see a red dot but a red line beside the mouse pointer, what should I do?
2.PNG
2.PNG (32.84 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
3. After making a line, the instruction says I need the Select tool. But the mouse pointer is still making a Line tool, how can I exit?

4. How to lock drawing a line in horizontal or vertical lines? Are there any keyboard shortcuts to do that?

5. After creating the sketch, I don't see any horizontal, vertical, angle constraint red symbols on the segments, how come?
3.PNG
3.PNG (8.36 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
I would really appreciate your help!

Cheers!
vocx
Veteran

Re: A newbie asking for help and guidance

Post by vocx »

Kcinod wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:56 am 3. After making a line, the instruction says I need the Select tool. But the mouse pointer is still making a Line tool, how can I exit?
Press Escape key once, or the right mouse button once.
4. How to lock drawing a line in horizontal or vertical lines? Are there any keyboard shortcuts to do that?
Check the main page, Sketcher Workbench, and read quickly the description for all the tools. You "lock" the lines using the vertical and horizontal constraints.
5. After creating the sketch, I don't see any horizontal, vertical, angle constraint red symbols on the segments, how come?
The sketch's task panel should have options to set up the grid snapping and automatic constraints.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: A newbie asking for help and guidance

Post by chrisb »

In the paragraph named "Create sketch:" the preliminary setup of Sketcher is shown.

Please note that the grid is only an editing aid, it does not create any locking on the grid. That has to be done with constranits.

And please note that all non-auto constraints are added later.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.