V0.19 Benchmarking--2019 Monthly Challenges #1,#2,#3,#4,#5,#6,#7a,#7b

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bambuko
Veteran

Re: V0.19 Benchmarking--2019 Monthly Challenges #1,#2,#3,#4,#5,#6,#7a

Post by bambuko »

ppemawm wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:15 pm ...Perhaps we need a separate Variables View panel instead of having to share the Property panel...
I hesitate making any recommendations because I don't (yet) really know enough about FreeCAD,
but I agree with you.

ppemawm wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:15 pm ...we greybeards need to stick together :)
I would be honoured sticking together with you Sir ;)

BTW have completed exercise #5 and only got stuck in two places.
Neither of them because of any problems with your descriptions...

One was my discovery of "Part Design - Refine" you must have used it without mentioning it and I was totally puzzled why my model didn't look like yours :mrgreen: I suppose it goes back to your recommendation at the beginning of this thread:
...should be quite familiar with the PartDesign...
Another was when I tried to use mirror command... not exactly intuitive :roll:
I am used to learning by trying and following my intuition and helpful hints from the system, but...
with FreeCAD it seems, tutorials and wiki are the only way to learn :mrgreen:
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
Olav

Re: V0.19 Benchmarking--2019 Monthly Challenges #6

Post by Olav »

This is a really fun thread, I'm following along and doing the challenges myself. This concerns your #6 which is Fusion 360 Monthly Challenge July 2019 on Youtube:

ppemawm wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:10 pm This seemingly innocuous looking object is a bit difficult to envision how one should model it at first look. I have to admit I could not find a simple way to model this solely in PartDesign and had to resort to the 'Connect' tool in the Part workbench to complete it. Any port in a storm.
I think I cracked it, I made the entire thing in one body exclusively in Part Design.

And you're right, for such a little part it is surprisingly tricky.

The order of operations is important here. One would be tempted to create the flat bottom part of the part, then the angled upper part, then fill up the gap between them as a finishing touch - or even as an afterthought. Because how hard can it be. Of course FreeCAD won't let you because at second stage you would have two unconnected solids which isn't permissible in a Part design body.

So I made the gap filler thing before padding the angled thing, so that everything connects properly. I used datum planes to get the angles right and a named reference constraint in the first (bottom) sketch to be able to pad the filler to the right length.

From your post I took the lesson to choose the position of the origin wisely because it makes wrestling the datum planes into position a lot easier.

FreeCAD 0.19_020.png
FreeCAD 0.19_020.png (184.47 KiB) Viewed 1555 times

Dependency graph looks fairly clean to me. Sketch001 uses external geometry from Sketch, which could be a weakness:

Dependency_graph.png
Dependency_graph.png (46.96 KiB) Viewed 1555 times

Also: thank you, ppemawm, for setting a good example for this FreeCAD student and without doubt, a lot of others. I believe that while the developers are working hard to make the program itself better, us users should learn to make the best use of it. Cheers!
Attachments
fusion_mc_july_2019.FCStd
(52.92 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
ppemawm
Veteran

Re: V0.19 Benchmarking--2019 Monthly Challenges #1,#2,#3,#4,#5,#6,#7a,#7b

Post by ppemawm »

Olav wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:59 pm I made the entire thing in one body exclusively in Part Design.
Wow, nicely done. I have learned something new.
Nice touch using the named reference dimension in the first sketch.
(Note, however, there is a missing angle constraint, 45 deg, in Sketch002.)

Now that I think about it you can probably do it (Pad001) with a 45 revolve by selecting the angled end face of the bottom part and using the reference edge as an axis. As always, there are several ways to do it.

Your result is a robust model which I tested by changing the radius of the bottom part and the thicknesses.
A model is only a good as it can be changed without breaking.

BTW I rarely use datum planes (other than for mirrors) unless multiple sketches are attached to them. As you probably know, any sketch can be attached in the same manner as a datum plane. Datum planes do, however, provide a nice visual when modelling.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
Olav

Post by Olav »

ppemawm wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:02 pm
Olav wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:59 pm I made the entire thing in one body exclusively in Part Design.
Wow, nicely done. I have learned something new.
Nice touch using the named reference dimension in the first sketch.
Thank you.

(Note, however, there is a missing angle constraint, 45 deg, in Sketch002.)
Well spotted. I think I was playing with that sketch a bit and forgot to put the angle back in before saving and uploading. It certainly was there when I was making the part.

Now that I think about it you can probably do it (Pad001) with a 45 revolve by selecting the angled end face of the bottom part and using the reference edge as an axis. As always, there are several ways to do it.
I think I would like to see this. I can't very well imagine how you would do that.

BTW I rarely use datum planes (other than for mirrors) unless multiple sketches are attached to them. As you probably know, any sketch can be attached in the same manner as a datum plane. Datum planes do, however, provide a nice visual when modelling.
I know. And in a way I find them just convenient. In some cases I start out modelling by putting my datum planes in place before doing anything else. That way I don't have to think about positioning the sketches anymore. If you would argue that the planes are redundant and clutter up the model tree too much, I can certainly see that. I haven't decided or settled the argument for myself yet.
Last edited by Olav on Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olav

Post by Olav »

Olav wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:31 pm
ppemawm wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:02 pm Now that I think about it you can probably do it (Pad001) with a 45 revolve by selecting the angled end face of the bottom part and using the reference edge as an axis. As always, there are several ways to do it.
I think I would like to see this. I can't very well imagine how you would do that.
Never mind. I just tried it and... it works! And it simplifies the whole model considerably, no more clever tricks needed. Great solution.

Also, I only just found out that I can delete a datum plane that I attached a sketch to, and the sketch will retain its placement. Neat.

I'm not sure we can optimise this any further.

Dependency_graph_2.png
Dependency_graph_2.png (43.18 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
Attachments
fusion_mc_july_2019_2.FCStd
(38.11 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Does this qualify for the challenge? Create extra material, remove the excess...
Fusion360_2019_No6_kiss.JPG
Fusion360_2019_No6_kiss.JPG (57.93 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
Attachments
Fusion360_2019_No6_kiss.FCStd
(53.9 KiB) Downloaded 42 times