Lei Zheng (realthunder) talk about the future of freecad, among other things

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: Lei Zheng (realthunder) talk about the future of freecad, among other things

Post by kkremitzki »

I have yet to watch the talk but I heard from Normand's summary on Mastodon that some changes to Coin3D were discussed. Now that github.com/coin3d exists, it should be more feasible for us to upstream changes, and if there are important changes that we are waiting on to get into upstream, we also have the option of tracking those changes as specific patch files which can be added to things like the Debian distribution family or the PPAs.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Re: Lei Zheng (realthunder) talk about the future of freecad, among other things

Post by thomas-neemann »

commentary from youtube:

Peter Jansen
1 hour ago
Wow, how frustrating must it be for RealThunder to have to negotiate with the pencil pushers at the official release. The bureaucrats at FC spend days and pages of forum entries about icons and the color of toolbars, but real improvements like RT is making are neglected. Very disappointed on how they (at FC) stubbornly ignored most good stuff from RT so that it now is not included in the new Debian RTL for example. The only real good things that happened lately to FC are the path WB improvements (very nice and very capable) and of course the improvements and added new features that RealThunder is responsible for. But I still question why for example the sketch improvement whereby the constraints are shown indivudual in a different color at once (in stead of just after solving all constraints) was implemented straight away while the improvements for the Topo problems by RT where not merged at all. The Topo errors are a real showstopper for most users, it's real odd that this never has been fixed. And now there is a reasonably fix it is not used. But at least we now have nice icons to look at right before the official FC release crashes. Thank you Zheng Lei and I wish you strength in the uphill battle with the red tape that is being used to slow things down.

thomas neemann
47 minutes ago
thanks for this comment. can I quote it in the freecad forum?

Peter Jansen
18 minutes ago (edited)
@thomas neemann Of course you can. Be careful though , they tend to shoot the messenger there. And btw what I wrote is all without nuance, it is specifically about the frustration I feel when real improvements are ignored. I really like and respect the FC team, kuddos to (most) of them. My ranting is not about the product, it is about the process of merging and getting priorities straight. People like Yorik and RealThunder and SlipTonic (and a lot more people) are doing a great job and I do recognize their skills and dedication. I switched completely to LinkStage3 and there is no reason to ever use the official branch for me. Very happy with RealThunders branch, it is what FC could have been for at least the last couple of months (without the pretty icons ;) After using Fusion 360 for years and being frustrated using FC, as an alternative, since 2015 I am finally comfortable in using FC as my main tool for design and CAM work (Thanks again SlipTonic!). Happy to switch on my workstation in the morning now.
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Only someone who does not give more then 5 min per year to the project, to write such comments, can come up with BS like this.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

saso wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:01 pm Only someone who does not give more then 5 min per year to the project, to write such comments, can come up with BS like this.
Bingo.

People communicate their needs so tragically sometimes. Instead of getting their needs met they promote disunity and sow chaos. Open source software ecosystems are sensitive places because they require maturity. Strong personalities can break software communities. Lets also not go into why people are like this (poor communication skills, childhood dynamics, trauma, etc..) The point is this person is uninformed. Unfortunately he/she comes off like an authority (familiar with names, used FC since 2015 etc...) and that is a destructive force. People will read this, internalize it, and then come to the forum with this in the back of their mind. Good job, now they're potentially spreading negativity in the community. The community is one of the most important parts of FreeCAD. Thanks but no thanks. In the words of 'The Dude'
sorry for the size of the gif, but i felt the situation merited it.
sorry for the size of the gif, but i felt the situation merited it.
freecad-meme-lebowski.gif (964.13 KiB) Viewed 2382 times
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

commentary from youtube:

thomas neemann
1 hour ago
@Peter Jansen yes it is very difficult. it could all be so beautiful

Peter Jansen
vor 30 Minuten
@thomas neemann And the 'funny' thing is that RealThunder synchronizes with the official branch once a month. Why doesn't FC do the same and sync up with RT's stuff? I really am curious to know why they are so stubborn. Maybe it is because RT is Chinese?
The lack of cooperation and the obvious way FC are trying to ignore LinkStage3 are counter productive. I really hope that the bullies at FC keep their playground fights to the forums and choose for real world solutions to problems that can and are being solved by a lone programmer who deserves much more credit and should not be ignored in this way. He is on par with Yorik in my opinion, Yorik is never ignored.
I do not expect a reasonable response of the bullies at FC and I return now to my daily job. Good to know there are more people who are amazed by the lack of progress of official FC.
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Haha, I didn't even know that realthunder is Chinese. While there is some truth in his Peter Jansen's words, he disqualifies himself as a serious communication partner by such insinuations.

Edit: clarified the reference.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:31 pm Haha, I didn't even know that realthunder is Chinese. While there is some truth in his words, he disqualifies himself as a serious communication partner by such insinuations.
Yes, there are so many insinuations, it's easy to lose count. Haters gonna hate. Lets move on.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

thomas-neemann wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:11 pmcommentary from youtube:
Please keep this things on that platform. Here is no youtube, here is a forum. Also please keep all so-called "social media" away frome here. All this type of media are not rationality based, only emotional based, like the brain drained comment frome there.

Thanks
Greetings
user1234
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Everyone for sure has some disagreements and frustrations on how some things are going with the project but we are all different and have different preferences. Anyone that has every been in any kind of management position however knows that one of the biggest tasks is actually exactly this, to manage all the different people and their personalities. You cannot expect everyone to be as good in coding as Lei is, but if they can and are willing to contribute to the project in such way that they improve the icons then this is what they should do. On the other hand if Lei is fast at coding it does not mean that he actually understand anything about cad systems (he is however improving and learning). For every one feature that we developed together in a somewhat coordinated way he adds twenty additional things. I am not saying that everything he does on his own is bad, but yes many things are, if nothing else, at least questionable.

We have asked him several times to work in a more coordinated way with the rest of the project and develop things in a smaller more manageable tasks. Before the big Link functionality was merged in to FC master I have suggested also that it would be better if the think would have been broken in to smaller peaces and that topological naming among a handful of things should probably take the propriety and it was Lei's decision to push with the Link. My personal opinion was and still is that a large part of what was merged at that time should never have been merge in to the master or at least not without some rework. It was very much a push like the picture below on the other developers (well mostly Werner) that manage the core, and where 80% of that pile no one actually understood and used in the first place (and probbaly even never will). Any now everyone is crying why things are the way they are, because people who don't understand things, push for things that they also don't understand. What would be good however is if we would understand what each of us is good at and let everyone do what they can do best.

paperwork.jpg
paperwork.jpg (72.09 KiB) Viewed 2288 times

And if we speak about priorities for the project, where is the sense of one of our best developer to spend months on adding hundreds of additional options for the gui and having rendering and ambient occlusion as a priority for the future development where there is soooooo much need to improve on soooo much of the core cad stuff. Cad for engineering and technical stuff is not about pretty pictures, none of the best commercial cad systems having this as a primary advantage, if then maybe only as a nice benefit... Why are Path, FEM, and BIM workbenches going on so well? Because both the users and the developers there know very well what they are developing and how to set the priorities to get where they want to go in the future. Development around Part and Part Design is a complete mess and Lei's past and current improvements are solving none of the core problems.
Last edited by saso on Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 14 times in total.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

saso wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:50 pm It was very much a push like the picture below on the other developers that manage the core, where 80% of the pile no one actually understood and used in the first place.
Hey! How did you get a photo of my desk? :mrgreen:

Gene