Lei Zheng (realthunder) talk about the future of freecad, among other things

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Re: Lei Zheng (realthunder) talk about the future of freecad, among other things

Post by abdullah »

chrisb wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:56 pm
abdullah wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:45 pm
chrisb wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:31 pm Haha, I didn't even know that realthunder is Chinese. While there is some truth in his words, he disqualifies himself as a serious communication partner by such insinuations.
Yes. We obviously discriminate here.
Rereading my statement I see that it can be misunderstood. With "he" I of course didn't mean realthunder, but rather the youtube poster.
No misunderstanding there. I perfectly understood "he" meant the Youtube poster who is wondering why those sketcher things got merged before topological naming. Outright discrimination is the only possible reason. Then, of course, the reason must be the nationality or race, as this is the only obvious difference. Next will be mentioning the nationality of the majority of the original developers and bringing back ghosts of the past... Zero sum high impact argumentation line...
abdullah
Veteran

Re: Lei Zheng (realthunder) talk about the future of freecad, among other things

Post by abdullah »

openBrain wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:09 pm
abdullah wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:45 pm Yes. We obviously discriminate here.
Yeah, some say that originally, FreeCAD should have been named WaspCAD. :mrgreen: :evil: :lol:
Nothing stings like WaspCAD !! :lol:
lukasubo

Post by lukasubo »

I think continuing to discuss this "discrimination allegation" here probably isn't going to benefit anyone - not to mention it's giving entirely too much credence to a random YT comment from a 3rd party.
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

saso wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:50 pm Why are Path, FEM, and BIM workbenches going on so well?
I don't think FEM WB going well. Also took too long to get a merge.
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
davidosterberg

Post by davidosterberg »

johnwang wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:21 am I don't think FEM WB going well. Also took too long to get a merge.
Things can be improved, and after having tried it I agree it is lacking many needed features. But if you look at the commit activity it is doing very well:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=54922
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

davidosterberg wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:03 am
johnwang wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:21 am I don't think FEM WB going well. Also took too long to get a merge.
Things can be improved, and after having tried it I agree it is lacking many needed features. But if you look at the commit activity it is doing very well:
Lacking feature is not the problem. Waiting 3 months for a commit is really not a good sign.
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

johnwang wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:07 am Lacking feature is not the problem. Waiting 3 months for a commit is really not a good sign.
It does look like bernd has slowed down since the end of last year. Maybe a need to manage life/family vs work vs FreeCAD ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:40 pm It does look like bernd has slowed down since the end of last year. Maybe a need to manage life/family vs work vs FreeCAD ?
More merger is absolutely the call.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

IMHO stability is more important than features, thus some code needs a bit longer to merge especially if there is no unit test. Unfortunally most devs do some new feature but do not make a unit test. Later they do not maintain the code they have contributed. Eventually it is me who maintains the code. Without a unit test or any example at all this is cumbersome. Thus in FEM we have set up examples in the last GSoC to improve the situation. Thus I ask on any new feature if there are examples and if it is possible to implement a unit test.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

johnwang wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:07 am
Lacking feature is not the problem. Waiting 3 months for a commit is really not a good sign.
Which one are you referring to?