Basics of drawing

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
annoyed

Basics of drawing

Post by annoyed »

i'm almost speechless.

Let picture tell you in turn, It takes 4 hours to do a couple of those things ingluding sawing and welding with painting, now i'm trying to draw one 5 hours...

- now i'm done with this program.

thank you.
Attachments
Realy_is this joke.FCStd
sad_end
(6.23 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
n:ś attempt
n:ś attempt
Screenshot from 2021-06-05 09-58-58.png (214.29 KiB) Viewed 4769 times
Is this joke?
Is this joke?
Screenshot from 2021-06-05 10-00-50.png (212.26 KiB) Viewed 4769 times
fails every way
fails every way
not like this.jpg (110.19 KiB) Viewed 4769 times
part
part
Screenshot_2021-06-05 ajoramppi at DuckDuckGo.png (137.01 KiB) Viewed 4769 times
Bance
Veteran

Re: Basics of drawing

Post by Bance »

Your file contains only a sketch....

What exactly is the problem? If it took 5 hours to make that sketch I would take up welding instead.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

Looks like improper design technique, not necessarily a software problem.
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

you need a couple of wins...

my proposal is that you do this in part wb in the simplest way possible with primitives and move those around.
it is not an efficient way, but once you get used to some of the features in the program you will start to get the sense
that you actually can create something at least.

tutorials are not a bad thing, it is if nothing else a time and frustration saver when all things come about

go through the following tutorial https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 37#p462576 (download), that should arm you good enough to be able to make the whole thing in part wb with primitives and just manipulate the placement of those.

then look at the attached model, make L-bars of different dims (overlong), copy those templates (simple copy), then place them to build the structure, cut the ends with cubes that you have to position as well, at last you can fuse them (and set property refine) to get a nice and smooth structure.
Snip macro screenshot-abe46f.png
Snip macro screenshot-abe46f.png (8.35 KiB) Viewed 4681 times
we all have different ways and paths to learn,
I suggest that you stay away from sketcher and partdesign wb until you can do primitives in part wb and position those where you want.
some people like manipulator wb for moving things around, but you can do just fine without it, using transform (right-click on the feature in the treeview) to begin with as the basic means to move things around, then there is also placement and alignment in edit menu (I would stay away from at least alignment until you are comfortable with the transform tool).

rage quit #2 :-), still some to go...

there are all sort of smart ways this could be done that are more efficient, but learning is not always trying to be as efficient or smart as possible,
it is better to learn the basics from ground up and build on that, then the efficient and "smart" ways is less frustrating to get acquainted with.
Attachments
with_part_wb.FCStd
(29.88 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

I don't think there are problems, it is only a statement, he is quitting using FreeCAD because, he is not accustomed to model in 3d, or simply because he want to use FreeCAD like another 3d drawing program.

I think this is one of the many pitfalls of a proper Documentation and tutorials.

It is really difficult to cover all the user cases, and all the users willings, but one of the main point of weakness of FreeCAD is the "lot of outdated documentation" floating around to compensate for the lack of a proper "official" documentation.

Not to criticize, as making documentation is difficult and make good documentation is more difficult, I'm trying to write a scripting guide in italian, so i know the difficulties.

But I think that the approach the original poster has used is wrong, as some things are twisted, so he has done obviosuly some error or followed a wrong workflow.

From what I could guess from the drawing, he has not used a proper way.

If where in his shoes (it is right), I have scketched or even used a wire with the lower left corner in (0,0,0) and the extruded the various pieces, a rough approximation of the cut phase with the real thing.

Then I have used placement property to position every piece, and then eventually do some bolean fusion and cut, eventually refined the protruding parts, with some "cut cubes" in the right positions.

It is a rough approach, but it is not too difficult, as some simmetry exist and once found right rotation angles, it's a matter to refine some numbers in cells for translation.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
Durk

Post by Durk »

Hi all,
On the decision of poster Annoyed I must make a comment here. Having installed FreeCAD quite a while ago I hesitated to make a start. Why? Experienced a lot of effort and trouble learning new drawing programs in the past and still do. First encounter with Acad2002Light after a few years R12 almost drove me insane. Recently an excursion in Onshape, completely clueless, total panic. Now for FreeCAD. As a novice I really got lost already at the opening screen (much like Gimp). After lots of reading I found I have to open TD, a sheet and a view. Looking for more help I found a short tutorial with an example part that has to be loaded first (Wiki, TD tutorial). Tried to follow the instructions, but after a few lines got stuck in 'scaling the part'. Boiling point reached. By sheer luck hours later, found a good video by Sliptonic that explained the 'Refresh Button'. At this moment I am trying to find something simple as how the make a line longer. As a retired teacher/tech-writer/software trainer/pc-user since 1980, I have found in the past decades most technicians/programmers/inventors have no idea how people learn and what is needed to let them do so. For example a successful installation of Linux is only recently possible because of almost complete automation of the process and not because of tons of technical documentation. Cheers, D
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

annoyed wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:11 am now i'm done with this program.
Durk wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:14 pm On the decision of poster Annoyed I must make a comment here.
Hello, maybe you could check out this post?
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59386
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

Durk wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:14 pm something simple as how the make a line longer
if in draft, change value of length
Snip macro screenshot-5681ab.png
Snip macro screenshot-5681ab.png (32.09 KiB) Viewed 4356 times
or Draft_Trimex

if in sketcher it is just to click/hold a point and drag it anywhere you want,
in sketcher it is so simple and intuitive that most people will not discover it on their own...
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Durk wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:14 pm First encounter with Acad2002Light after a few years R12 almost drove me insane
I find this very hard to believe, and this also makes me question the rest of your message. I think you are over-exaggerating to make a point.
Durk

Post by Durk »

Thanks heda for your positive answer, got it, same refresh button :P .
jpg87: Do not underestimate the effort of novice users to get acquainted with new software and the angriness when failing to do so. Criticism is useful to make things better, not to offend (you or anyone).
Roy_043: Could well be, it was long ago. I do remember it took me months to discover that dividing a line in n-parts was to be found under 'draw', 'point', 'divide'.
Outline: experienced users, preferably with a degree in educational science, should do a clean up and maintain the support section of FC to minimize dropouts. Don't be mistaken I have great respect for all participants to keep this program going and free..!