Quick Reference Guides (QRG) FreeCAD v.0.19.2

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Quick Reference Guides (QRG) FreeCAD v.0.19.2

Post by Kunda1 »

Woot!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
MSOlsen65

Post by MSOlsen65 »

:!: Status update :!:

As noted on 2 August, the drive holding my OS on my computer died. I was fortunate enough to have a friend that was willing to help once he understood I needed to be back online quickly. As of today, my OS is fully restored with a new 500Gb SSD. :D :!: :D No more working from an old slow tablet.!!!! :D :D :D

I will now be able to dedicate time daily towards the QRG upgrades, and stage 3 is well underway. :D
Sincerely,

Michael S. Olsen
Electrical Engineer & Joiner
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

nice - and no need to push yourself overly hard to get it done - it is supposed to be joyful doing it, not a burden.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

+1
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
DeathByRebellion

Post by DeathByRebellion »

Where can I find more of these quick reference guides? I need to grasp a better understanding of the different workbenches and their proper usages rather than just having a rudimentary knowledge of making pads and cutting them out in part design workbench. Are there any advanced tutorials for modeling complex shapes? The documentation doesn't include very much about the usages of certain tools in the workbench.
๐•พ๐–Š๐–‘๐–‹ ๐–™๐–†๐–š๐–Œ๐–๐–™ ๐–Œ๐–†๐–“๐–Œ
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

:) a complex shape? what might be complex to you might not be complex to me.
there are always more than one way to get to the same result...

boiling it down to the core of 3d modelling (that is geometric modelling which is what is done in fc) your basic tools are:
  • add / subtract volumes
  • volumes are created with:
    • primitives (box/sphere/etc)
    • extruding a 2d shape (or pad a sketch in pd wb)
    • revolve a 2d shape
    • sweep a 2d shape
    • loft between 2d shapes (but does not really have to be 2d, a wire in 3d is what is needed).
  • ways to "copy" features, i.e. arrays, rectangular or circular (think make one hole in a flange and do a circular array to make 5 holes evenly spaced)
  • if you need a curve that is "soft" - bsplines is the way to get that done
that's it basically, if one excludes free-form surfaces and assemblies, so now the job at hand is to break that down whatever complex shape you have in mind to building blocks of the above...
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

DeathByRebellion wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:25 pm Where can I find more of these quick reference guides? I need to grasp a better understanding of the different workbenches and their proper usages rather than just having a rudimentary knowledge of making pads and cutting them out in part design workbench. Are there any advanced tutorials for modeling complex shapes? The documentation doesn't include very much about the usages of certain tools in the workbench.
The best method is to open 'good' files from the forum and study them. Try to redo them or make them better.
DeathByRebellion

heda wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:58 pm :) a complex shape? what might be complex to you might not be complex to me.
there are always more than one way to get to the same result...

boiling it down to the core of 3d modelling (that is geometric modelling which is what is done in fc) your basic tools are:
  • add / subtract volumes
  • volumes are created with:
    • primitives (box/sphere/etc)
    • extruding a 2d shape (or pad a sketch in pd wb)
    • revolve a 2d shape
    • sweep a 2d shape
    • loft between 2d shapes (but does not really have to be 2d, a wire in 3d is what is needed).
  • ways to "copy" features, i.e. arrays, rectangular or circular (think make one hole in a flange and do a circular array to make 5 holes evenly spaced)
  • if you need a curve that is "soft" - bsplines is the way to get that done
that's it basically, if one excludes free-form surfaces and assemblies, so now the job at hand is to break that down whatever complex shape you have in mind to building blocks of the above...
So use the basic shapes and edit them into the shapes that i want? Makes sense. For some reason, I thought that I could only do that in the part workbench. Speaking of which, what if i wanted to add features to my part design piece using the part workbench? How would i go about doing that? This is kind of the issue with my lack of understanding about the certain abilities that these workbenches have in terms of using more than one of them to model my part(s).
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

there are no two ways about it, learning how to model in 3d takes practice, and the written tutorials on the wiki is a great start for practising...

no need to use part wb to have access to primitives - PartDesign_CompPrimitiveAdditive, and there is a subtractive sister.

many just use sketcher in pd wb, also to make for example a box, i.e. pad a sketch which has a rectangle.

also as pointed out by shalmeneser, studying models on the forum is one way to expand the horizon.

learning by doing is the name of the game, if you combine that with some reading on the wiki you will be fine, but it will always take a while, and you will inevitably start using different ways to model as your knowledge evolves - but it is best to start with the basics, so that part is rock solid.

to begin with avoid mixing part and pd - if you are fresh attempting that avenue is just asking for trouble that you do not need, but in general the rule is anything in part can be linked to a body and used that way.
DeathByRebellion

heda wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:03 pm there are no two ways about it, learning how to model in 3d takes practice, and the written tutorials on the wiki is a great start for practising...

no need to use part wb to have access to primitives - PartDesign_CompPrimitiveAdditive, and there is a subtractive sister.

many just use sketcher in pd wb, also to make for example a box, i.e. pad a sketch which has a rectangle.

also as pointed out by shalmeneser, studying models on the forum is one way to expand the horizon.

learning by doing is the name of the game, if you combine that with some reading on the wiki you will be fine, but it will always take a while, and you will inevitably start using different ways to model as your knowledge evolves - but it is best to start with the basics, so that part is rock solid.

to begin with avoid mixing part and pd - if you are fresh attempting that avenue is just asking for trouble that you do not need, but in general the rule is anything in part can be linked to a body and used that way.
Okay. Solid answer. Do you have any other learning material besides the wiki that you suggest I take a look at?