FreeCAD Basic Tutorial For Bad User (Beginner & Pro Not Recommend)

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mufasu

Re: FreeCAD Basic Tutorial For Beginner Exercise

Post by mufasu »

Shalmeneser wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:21 pm
mufasu wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:48 am update for exercise 20
Please don't call this "Tutorial For Beginner" because there is too much bad practices :

* Use Sketcher_ConstrainSymmetric and axis (so 107 and DatumPlane are useless)
* Do not repeat the same dimension. Use Sketcher_ConstrainEqual.
* Prefer Horizontal/vertical distance to Sketcher_ConstrainDistance
* For fillet selection, try Wireframe display
* Do not use Zero dimension
* Do not support sketch upon face, but prefer axis or sketch line.

(Problems with fillet in my file)
Note it
mufasu

Re: FreeCAD Basic Tutorial For Beginner Exercise

Post by mufasu »

chrisb wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:37 pm To add to this:
* You don't need these construction lines in the first sketch.
* You could use some for the equal distances.
Thank you for suggestion,, peace by peace collected skills to improve my knowledge
doia

Re: FreeCAD Basic Tutorial For Bad User (Beginner & Pro Not Recommend)

Post by doia »

Maybe you could make a video comparing bad examples vs. best practise from all the comments here? This would help in understanding these better.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

There is a big difference between "bad practices" and "preferred practices".

Setting a zero length is a bad practice that can lead to problems.

Using duplicated dimensions instead of equality is a user preference that has no bad consequences at all. Same for mirroring and other such "time savers."

It has been said that the solver has to work harder for some types of constraints, but in years reading many thousands of posts on the forum I cannot recall a single case that was related to solver overload from using duplicate dimensions instead of equality. :o

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

GeneFC wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:32 pm There is a big difference between "bad practices" and "preferred practices".
I fully agree, but I don't fully agree on your example. Repeating dimensions is not for the solver bad, I see it as bad modeling practice, if the repeated dimensions are not related. It would then be possible to change one of them without the other. They can be related with expressions though, which I wouldn't see as not bad but not preferred either.

Repeating dimensions has the meaning of "it happens in this special occasion that the values are the same, but under different circumstances they can well be different".
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I won't get into a discussion of preferences or styles. Clearly those are topics of some importance for efficiency. However, not all minds work in the same linear fashion.

My real point is that the forum often seems to chastise someone, especially a new user or new forum member, for something that is not really germane to the topic as hand. It can be confusing and even disheartening to tell a new user they are doing something all wrong when it is not really "wrong" at all.

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

GeneFC wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:05 pm It can be confusing and even disheartening to tell a new user they are doing something all wrong when it is not really "wrong" at all.
Agreed!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

GeneFC wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:05 pm My real point is that the forum often seems to chastise someone, especially a new user or new forum member, for something that is not really germane to the topic as hand. It can be confusing and even disheartening to tell a new user they are doing something all wrong when it is not really "wrong" at all.
Basic tutorials need to show best practices.
Mufasu propose videos about a lot of CAD programs, so he should not be a newbie (??).
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Shalmeneser wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:20 pm Basic tutorials need to show best practices.
Yes, SIR! :lol:

Seriously, who gets to define "Best Practices"?

Something that causes problems should be avoided.

Personal preferences are just that, personal preferences. For example, I use "mirror" about once a year. It never causes me a problem to skip the mirror and just draw something the way it ends up. Does it take longer? I don't know, but certainly not as long as obsessing over whether it takes longer.

If your boss says "Do it my way", then do it. Otherwise just follow that practices that make sense to you.

Gene
mufasu

Post by mufasu »

Basic tutorials need to show best practices.
Mufasu propose videos about a lot of CAD programs, so he should not be a newbie (??).
wkwkw :D, Im trying like about 80+ cad softwares. On freecad found some problem like command sometimes not working to apply one edge, sketch or others.

There are a lot of ways to create part or object, you can use your own steps to create it. (different is ok) But the final result is how to apply on cnc machine or 3d printer, and i didnt get problem to do it. :D :D :D