Troubles with simulation

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

Sidemountyucatan

Troubles with simulation

Post by Sidemountyucatan »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: German/Switzerland (de_CH)

I tried to run the simulation but it exited with error. There is no error message in the message window (messages below):

09:49:22 Writing case to folder C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp
09:49:22 Matching boundary conditions ...
09:49:23 Populating createPatchDict to update BC names
09:49:23 Successfully wrote case to folder C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp
09:49:27 Solver run command: C:\PROGRA~1\BLUECF~1\msys64\usr\bin\bash --login -O expand_aliases -c cd "/c/Users/Admin/AppData/Local/Temp/case" && ./Allrun
09:49:27 C:\PROGRA~1\BLUECF~1\msys64\usr\bin\bash --login -O expand_aliases -c cd "/c/Users/Admin/AppData/Local/Temp/case" && ./Allrun
09:49:27 Raw command: ['C:/Program Files/FreeCAD 0.19/bin\\python.exe', '-u', 'C:\\Users\\Admin\\AppData\\Roaming\\FreeCAD\\Mod\\CfdOF\\WindowsRunWrapper.py', 'C:\\PROGRA~1\\BLUECF~1\\msys64\\usr\\bin\\bash', '--login', '-O', 'expand_aliases', '-c', 'cd "/c/Users/Admin/AppData/Local/Temp/case" && ./Allrun']
09:49:30 Setting environment for OpenFOAM 5.x mingw-w64 Double Precision (of5-64), using MSMPI71 - please wait...
09:49:30 Environment is now ready. Notes:
- You can change between installed versions by running: ofmenu
- You can change to other predefined versions by running: ofmenuNew
09:49:34

The subject of the simulation is to simulate the flow of air in front of exhaust slots. I have attached the model. Advice is appreciated.

Thx Marcus
Attachments
Air exhaust_MEGA.FCStd
(69.79 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
oliveroxtoby

Re: Troubles with simulation

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Sidemountyucatan wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:42 am OS: Windows 10 Version 1909
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: German/Switzerland (de_CH)

I tried to run the simulation but it exited with error. There is no error message in the message window (messages below):

09:49:22 Writing case to folder C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp
09:49:22 Matching boundary conditions ...
09:49:23 Populating createPatchDict to update BC names
09:49:23 Successfully wrote case to folder C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp
09:49:27 Solver run command: C:\PROGRA~1\BLUECF~1\msys64\usr\bin\bash --login -O expand_aliases -c cd "/c/Users/Admin/AppData/Local/Temp/case" && ./Allrun
09:49:27 C:\PROGRA~1\BLUECF~1\msys64\usr\bin\bash --login -O expand_aliases -c cd "/c/Users/Admin/AppData/Local/Temp/case" && ./Allrun
09:49:27 Raw command: ['C:/Program Files/FreeCAD 0.19/bin\\python.exe', '-u', 'C:\\Users\\Admin\\AppData\\Roaming\\FreeCAD\\Mod\\CfdOF\\WindowsRunWrapper.py', 'C:\\PROGRA~1\\BLUECF~1\\msys64\\usr\\bin\\bash', '--login', '-O', 'expand_aliases', '-c', 'cd "/c/Users/Admin/AppData/Local/Temp/case" && ./Allrun']
09:49:30 Setting environment for OpenFOAM 5.x mingw-w64 Double Precision (of5-64), using MSMPI71 - please wait...
09:49:30 Environment is now ready. Notes:
- You can change between installed versions by running: ofmenu
- You can change to other predefined versions by running: ofmenuNew
09:49:34

The subject of the simulation is to simulate the flow of air in front of exhaust slots. I have attached the model. Advice is appreciated.

Thx Marcus
It runs on my system. Please try upgrading to the latest version of BlueCFD, or alternatively the ESI installation of OpenFOAM. We did have a problem that looks like this that was caused by a conflict between BlueCFD dlls and those provided by FreeCAD. A workaround has been implemented, but I don't know if it works with the old version. Obviously also please make sure your workbench is up to date.
Sidemountyucatan

Post by Sidemountyucatan »

Thx for your feedback. I did how you suggested. Newest BlueCFD Core -> direct path in the settings / Paraview path reset / new cfmesh / new HISA etc. etc.. But nevertheless I got the following error message (no changes to the model):

Errormessage in the task window:

0.0: Checking dependencies...
0.0: Case writer called
0.1: Matching boundary conditions ...
0.3: Case written successfully
0.0: Solver started
323.7: OpenFOAM IO error: Cannot find patchField entry for face0 file: C:/Users/marcu/Desktop/CFD_data files/case/0/U/boundaryField from line 27 to line 19.
324.2: Simulation exited with error

Errormessage in the message window:

13:04:02
--> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:
Cannot find patchField entry for face0

file: C:/Users/marcu/Desktop/CFD_data files/case/0/U/boundaryField from line 27 to line 19.

From function void Foam::GeometricField<Type, PatchField, GeoMesh>::Boundary::readField(const Foam::DimensionedField<TypeR, GeoMesh>&, const Foam::dictionary&) [with Type = Foam::Vector<double>; PatchField = Foam::fvPatchField; GeoMesh = Foam::volMesh]
in file X:/OpenFOAM-8/src/OpenFOAM/fields/GeometricFields/GeometricField/GeometricBoundaryField.C at line 184.

FOAM exiting

Do I interpret correctly that the solver has problems by identifying face0 ?

Thx for your help.
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Sidemountyucatan wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:25 pm Thx for your feedback. I did how you suggested. Newest BlueCFD Core -> direct path in the settings / Paraview path reset / new cfmesh / new HISA etc. etc.. But nevertheless I got the following error message (no changes to the model):

Errormessage in the task window:

0.0: Checking dependencies...
0.0: Case writer called
0.1: Matching boundary conditions ...
0.3: Case written successfully
0.0: Solver started
323.7: OpenFOAM IO error: Cannot find patchField entry for face0 file: C:/Users/marcu/Desktop/CFD_data files/case/0/U/boundaryField from line 27 to line 19.
324.2: Simulation exited with error

Errormessage in the message window:

13:04:02
--> FOAM FATAL IO ERROR:
Cannot find patchField entry for face0

file: C:/Users/marcu/Desktop/CFD_data files/case/0/U/boundaryField from line 27 to line 19.

From function void Foam::GeometricField<Type, PatchField, GeoMesh>::Boundary::readField(const Foam::DimensionedField<TypeR, GeoMesh>&, const Foam::dictionary&) [with Type = Foam::Vector<double>; PatchField = Foam::fvPatchField; GeoMesh = Foam::volMesh]
in file X:/OpenFOAM-8/src/OpenFOAM/fields/GeometricFields/GeometricField/GeometricBoundaryField.C at line 184.

FOAM exiting

Do I interpret correctly that the solver has problems by identifying face0 ?

Thx for your help.
This can happen if changes are made to the model between generating the mesh and running the solver. Please re-do all steps from scratch to check the reproducibility of the problem from the saved state that you provided: Write mesh; Run mesher; Write case; Run solver. It runs fine for me.