Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) workbench using OpenFOAM

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

Crossleyuk

Re: Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) workbench using OpenFOAM

Post by Crossleyuk »

I've tried a simple small portion of my full model and I'm having the same problem. I cannot generate a mesh from this simple tapered cone and would be gratefull if you could try please.
12in VXA Diffuser Only - Rev P1.FCStd
(12.2 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

The response from Write Mesh is below.
(12.2 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

I thought I had FreeCAD under my belt but I now feel like I'm back at square 1 with FreeCAD 0.18. Is it still my installation that is incomplete and I wondered if you can generate a mesh from my simple model case?

Appologies and thanks.

Michael
Attachments
MJC Simple Diffuser Only.PNG
MJC Simple Diffuser Only.PNG (142.05 KiB) Viewed 1442 times
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Crossleyuk wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:47 am I've tried a simple small portion of my full model and I'm having the same problem. I cannot generate a mesh from this simple tapered cone and would be gratefull if you could try please.

The response from Write Mesh is below.

I thought I had FreeCAD under my belt but I now feel like I'm back at square 1 with FreeCAD 0.18. Is it still my installation that is incomplete and I wondered if you can generate a mesh from my simple model case?

Appologies and thanks.

Michael
The error message suggests a simple permission error trying to write to your temp directory. Try closing any explorer windows that might be open in that directory, and failing that change the write location in CFD Preferences to somewhere you can write.
Please provide all the information requested in this post before reporting problems with CfdOF.
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Thanks Oliver, I'm trying hard to solve several problems since moving to FC 0.18 but I will take this into account. I seem to be having problems installing BlueCFD for some reason. I'm going to uninstall and start again and take careful notes of responses.

Cheers.

Michael
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Not sure what has heppened but I actually had to use 2D drafting in FC 0.18 and love it but went back to me CFD today. I am now getting a new error for the simple expanding tube.
Diffuser CFD Error.PNG
Diffuser CFD Error.PNG (156.9 KiB) Viewed 1290 times

It seems that I have something missing but of course I don't understand. Is there any thing I should do?

I have attached the actual model case below.

Many thanks again.
Diffuser CFD Error.PNG
Diffuser CFD Error.PNG (156.9 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
Attachments
(559.81 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Sorry about the double image post there.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

Crossleyuk wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:03 pm I am now getting a new error for the simple expanding tube.
When you say 'new', would I be correct in thinking you haven't done too much CFD in 0.18 because this error IMHO should be a warning or even informational as there's nothing actually wrong that the user can fix. The error should only be raised when the user double clicks the CfdSolver in the tree which triggers the Plot workbench to activate and consequently calls MatPlotLib.

The reason the error wasn't produced in 0.17 is that used Qt4 whereas the 0.18 version (you have) is Qt5. I commented out the lines in src\bin\Lib\site-packages\matplotlib\__init__.py around line 906 but you can just ignore the error if you don't want to mess with the code:

Code: Select all

if key.startswith('backend'):
                    warnings.warn(self.msg_backend_obsolete.format(key),
                                  mplDeprecation)
                else:
to:

Code: Select all

if key.startswith('backend'):
                    # warnings.warn(self.msg_backend_obsolete.format(key),mplDeprecation)
                else:
As long as the solver plots the lines on the graph as expected for pressure etc then all is as expected, I believe Matplotlib is not a FreeCAD developed library so it's used as provided.
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Hi Oliver,

Sorry, this is all beyond my experience but I do take your point of the double click so I tried again and got a new error. I opened the model, selected CfdOF and ran the case. That is all I did and obtained the following:
Diffuser CFD Error 08-23-19.PNG
Diffuser CFD Error 08-23-19.PNG (143.92 KiB) Viewed 1223 times

As ever, sorry to be so inexperienced and not understanding a lot of your response but thanks yet again for your help. FreeCAD 0.17 and CfdOF have been a massive help and has moved my interests in a great direction. I'm dying to get back up and running and 0.18 is a fantastic move forward. Sorry to trouble you in my ignorance.

Many thanks

Michael Crossley
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

Crossleyuk wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:51 pm I'm dying to get back up and running and 0.18 is a fantastic move forward. Sorry to trouble you in my ignorance.
No need to apologise to me (or Oliver), if this can be of use to other new users then that's a positive. Just reply back though if the Case does not Write correctly or the Solver does not run, ensuring you include all the Report Output please to help us help you.
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Oops Syres, no appology and I will run again and follow your suggestion. :oops:
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Okay, quick and simple from now on. Ran the case again with the same problem and here are the files from my temp directory.
aria-debug-11356.log
(470 Bytes) Downloaded 37 times
aria-debug-18448.log
(1.66 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
StructuredQuery.log
(9.15 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
AdobeARM.log
(9.19 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
ws_Crypto_20190825_0.log
(112 Bytes) Downloaded 41 times

Many thanks

Michael