Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) workbench using OpenFOAM

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

oliveroxtoby

Re: Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) workbench using OpenFOAM

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Crossleyuk wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:08 am
So similar results but my observation is that the Properties panel only includes model components and not velocity, pressure etc. properties. And no orientation array options.
10-10-19 PV 5.7.0 Properties Glyph.PNG

I must also repeat that only PV 5.7.0 allows me to open a file to edit without launching it from FreeCAD CfdOF and can’t save anything then.
Have you tried changing 'Case Type' on the Properties tab to 'Decomposed Case' (and then clicking apply). This will be necessary if you ran the case in parallel (it is set automatically when paraview is run from CfdOF).

If that doesn't work, from your version information it looks like you have a pre-release version of Paraview 5.7. Perhaps worth downloading the latest version and trying again.
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Thanks Oliver, I'll try that all out.

Michael
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Thank you again Oliver,

I did try that after your suggestion that also came from ParaView forum and obtained the following.

I actually managed to generate a clip and glyph that gave me thye omega pattern on the clip surface. Made great progress today and can make progress now. Key thing is I can now save and load states. I now need to spend some time obtaining my velocity glyphs. But your help is again greatly appreciated.
11-10-19 PV 5.7.0 Decomposed Array Properties.PNG
11-10-19 PV 5.7.0 Decomposed Array Properties.PNG (46.69 KiB) Viewed 4008 times
11-10-19 PV 5.7.0 Decomposed Omega Properties.PNG
11-10-19 PV 5.7.0 Decomposed Omega Properties.PNG (81.86 KiB) Viewed 4008 times

Regards

Michael
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

First off, this is now and edit. I hope I sorted the problem at 4:00am this morning. but here is the initial question.

Fantastic results since our last exchange but new problem I think. My model is larger again and it has worked very well untill about a week ago when it started to fail after a significant number of iterations. Please find attached reports but my Temp file now has may "mat-debug-###.log" files woth no content as well as teh attached.

Any suggestions please, I'm realy happy with the progress!

Michael
aria-debug-30608.log
(470 Bytes) Downloaded 89 times
AdobeARM.log
(19.71 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
FC0.18_12in_VXA_Axial_Diffuser - Rev P17_1.FCStd
(306.5 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Michael
23-01-20 Rev 17_1 Failed Iterations.PNG
23-01-20 Rev 17_1 Failed Iterations.PNG (131.67 KiB) Viewed 3722 times

Many thanks in anticipation again.

Michael
Last edited by Crossleyuk on Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Sorry,

Had another look at 04:00am this morning and rebuild my model. Hope it's sorted the problem now as it approaches 5000 iterations after 5 hours and not sure what was wrong before. Sorry to trouble you!

Michael
Rev 19_1 (5 hours) Iterations.png
Rev 19_1 (5 hours) Iterations.png (95.32 KiB) Viewed 3695 times
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Hello again,

Things moved on a great deal since my last forum post and I have a new model that I could not have generated without your fantastic help.

Not sure why I'm doing this so sorry if it's in the way. This is the chart that I've now generated from the final eleven, of many many, CfdOF case runs and I can't explain it. The eleven Points are intended to model eleven points on a flow characteristic for a device with two inlets and one outlet. The four Qv flows generate a vortex within the body.

Rev_P24_Step_11_Chart_White.png
Rev_P24_Step_11_Chart_White.png (233.47 KiB) Viewed 3514 times

The green points are the eleven case results that should represent the eleven points on the actual measured grey characteristic points. They are not in agreement but I realised that they looked to be a mirror image, so I calculated the blue mirror image points.

I don't expect any solutions and not at all sure why I wanted to post this but I hope it helps me think a little deeper.

Many thanks for the past help that got me here with a greater understanding!!

Michael
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

The symmetrical fit of the data is uncanny, well done! Tell us when you figure out where the symmetry happens (which value seems to do that). I could only surmise that in a vortex you always end up with two opposite flows, so perhaps your symmetry comes from here (i.e. calculating the exterior flow and measuring the interior flow or vice versa). You have come a long way indeed. I find your project really cool!
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Thank you so much RatonLaveur that means a great deal to me. Your thoughts are indeed in line with mine. I'm using a series of ParaView planes in the axial supply port to get a good average velocity and flow. My thoughts have also been for the reversing core of the exiting vortex but that's so remote from the linear axial supply flow. Thank you, I've impress my self greatly!!
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

Well done. :)
Can you explain for what this device is used for?
For the protocol:
How much work did you invest (total hours) to get the result?
For me cfd-meshing is the most intense part.
Thomas
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Thank you again for your interest Thomas, great to be in touch.

The device is a controlled flow restrictor for use in gas or lquid systems. The aim is to control the flow that generates the vortex in order to limit the overall resistance.

1) Currently, each "result" requires in the order of 2 CFD computing hours and 30 minures post CFD handling

2) But it's taken me over a year and 24 CFD model iterations to reach the point where I understand what I actually need and how to approach an acceptable model

3) The concepts are 50 years old but I am conducting this reseach to move it into the 21st century and apply it to entirely new applications. In the medical rather than industrial environment.

4) Again your meshing thoughts are of interest, I decided to look into changing my meshing utility recently, with no clear resulting benefit.

The benefit I think I have now gained is that I understand the direction that CFD is taking me and now how it may differ from the physical characteristic testing approach that I've been involved with for 40 years.

Best regards

Michael