Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) workbench using OpenFOAM

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

Crossleyuk

Re: Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) workbench using OpenFOAM

Post by Crossleyuk »

thschrader wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:34 am 1. Uninstall bluecfd
2. Goto "Apps and Features", check for remaining mpi. If so, uninstall via "Apps and Features"
3. Reboot system
4. Install bluecfd, newest version https://bluecfd.github.io/Core/Downloads/

Works for me.

mpi.JPG
Hi again all,

I've had no success so decided to do a complete reinstall of FreeCAD and CfdOF with further investigations after the same mpiexec failure. I finally even downloaded the latest, version 10, of Microsoft MPI with no change at all.

mpiexec is available at C:\Program Files\Microsoft MPI\Bin

Please help, desperate to get back into my research after Covid-19.
mpiexec_not_found_after_rebuild.PNG
mpiexec_not_found_after_rebuild.PNG (27.43 KiB) Viewed 4681 times

Best regards

Michael
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

I can't get a completed dependancy check success. After going hrough the rebuild I still get:

Checking dependencies...
cfMesh (CfdOF version) not found

I've updated CfdOF several times from Addon Manager and receive this red error regularly in the Report view:

15:02:35 openfoam: windows support (mingw64) is runtime only
15:02:58 4.8.3

CfdOF_not_found.PNG
CfdOF_not_found.PNG (7.57 KiB) Viewed 4587 times
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

Crossleyuk wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:09 pm Checking dependencies...

Are you sure you are running FreeCAD as an Administrator?
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Syres wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:49 pm

Thanks Syres, I'll check that out.
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Syres wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:49 pm

Thanks Syres, I'll check that out.
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

oliveroxtoby wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:17 pm
Crossleyuk wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:29 pm Sorry, finally understood your suggestions and now know how to update the workbench, so that is done for Plot and CfdOF.

Unfortunately, no change niether my own models or your suggested naca2412 finish with Simulation exited with error

During CfdOF run I receive a red error ? statement "openfoam: windows support (mingw64) is runtime only"

Regards,

Michael
Hi Michael

You have been following thschrader's advice to re-install blueCFD; however, the error message above suggests you are still using the OpenCFD installation - this is a different Windows packaging of OpenFOAM than blueCFD. So all your reinstallations of blueCFD won't have any effect unless you tell CfdOF to use it. Do this by changing the OpenFOAM installation directory in Preferences to the location where you installed blueCFD, or alternatively, un-install the OpenFOAM installation and leave only the blueCFD one. CfdOF should then automatically use blueCFD if I remember correctly.
You may have missed my reply above. The "windows support us runtime only" error message you mention is not a concern, just a warning printed by the OpenFOAM environment.

It is important to note that there are two different packages of OpenFOAM supported (the ESI/OpenCFD OpenFOAM package, and blueCFD), and you appear to have both installed which is causing confusion. They each come with a specific version of MSMPI and are potentially incompatible with other versions.

I suggest you uninstall both of them, as well as all versions of MSMPI, and then re-do the installation of your preferred package (probably blueCFD, as per the instructions above), making sure to run the installer as administrator and allow it to install MSMPI.

Good luck!
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Thanks Oliver,

Sure I saw your previous post and thought I'd carried this out as you suggested. So I'm starting again and want to be clear before reinstalling.

I've uninstalled OpenFOAM, blueCFD and MSMPI but looking at my Program Files folder there are still folders and files in the blueCFD folder. Is this what you would expect or should I delete them manually. I'm trying to be clear because all this is black magic to me :lol:

BlueCFD_Folder.PNG
BlueCFD_Folder.PNG (14.26 KiB) Viewed 4361 times

Thanks for putting up with my naivety again, I'm merely a user :roll:

Regards

Michael
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Couldn't sleep so decidede to delete the blueCFD-Core-2020 folder from Program Files and follow your instructions. I then ran FreeCAD as administrator again and it resulted in ./Allrun: line 9: mpiexec: command not found

Hang on. Should I have an entry in OpenFOAM install directory? I did try C:/Program Files/blueCFD-Core-2020/OpenFOAM-8
OpenFOAM_Directory-03.PNG
OpenFOAM_Directory-03.PNG (8.75 KiB) Viewed 4261 times

And recieved C:\Users\Michael Crossley\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\CfdOF\CfdResidualPlot.py:68: UserWarning: Data has no positive values, and therefore cannot be log-scaled.
ax.set_yscale('log')

Sorry, completely lost

Michael
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Crossleyuk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:27 am Couldn't sleep so decidede to delete the blueCFD-Core-2020 folder from Program Files and follow your instructions. I then ran FreeCAD as administrator again and it resulted in ./Allrun: line 9: mpiexec: command not found

Hang on. Should I have an entry in OpenFOAM install directory? I did try C:/Program Files/blueCFD-Core-2020/OpenFOAM-8
This is a good idea to avoid any ambiguity. If you leave this blank, CfdOF tries to detect it automatically, and athough you have uninstalled everything else, it souns like the ESI/OpenCFD version was still being picked up. If you specify it, you know exactly which OpenFOAM package is being used.

And recieved C:\Users\Michael Crossley\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\CfdOF\CfdResidualPlot.py:68: UserWarning: Data has no positive values, and therefore cannot be log-scaled.
ax.set_yscale('log')

Sorry, completely lost

Michael
Now you are getting a different error, which seems like a good thing. This needs to be sytematically investiated and unfortunately the final error message is generally of little use in diagnosing a problem. Please include the full output from the report view and upload your failing case in order to allow others to reproduce the problem and help you. To avoid further confusion, I suggest you leave your configuration as it is for now (avoid any more uninstalling/reinstalling) so that this latest problem can be investigated in a systematic way.
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

Thanks for understanding Oliver,
Crossley_Simple_Cylinder_019.FCStd
(153.98 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Crossley_Output_Report_30-09-21.pdf
(68.84 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
OpenFOAM_Directory-03.PNG (8.75 KiB) Viewed 4157 times
Crossley_Python_Console_30-09-21.pdf
(70.35 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

Please let me know if I can do any more.

Michael