cfMesh Edge Refinement

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

solosails

cfMesh Edge Refinement

Post by solosails »

Is there a reason why cfMesh settings do not include an edge refinement value?

I'm stuck between liking the boundary layer options in cfMesh, (but missing them in both Snappyhexmesh and gmesh) and the far better edge snapping and refinement options found in SnappyHexMesh.

Many thanks again for this hard work, it's really appreciated!
Last edited by solosails on Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oliveroxtoby

Re: cfMesh Edge Refinement

Post by oliveroxtoby »

solosails wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:51 am Is there a reason why cfMesh settings do not include an edge refinement value?

I'm stuck between liking the boundary layer options in cfMesh, (but missing them in both Snappyhexmesh and gmesh) and the far better edge snapping and refinement options found in SnappyHexMesh.
No reason, but you'll appreciate that absent funding it's hard to justify implementing anything we don't find ourselves in need of. We'll happily accept contributions to the code, of course.

That said, I'm surprised you find the feature snapping to be poor in cfMesh. Feature edge detection is performed at the beginning of the meshing process and I would have expected results similar to snappyHexMesh...
Please provide all the information requested in this post before reporting problems with CfdOF.
solosails

Re: cfMesh Edge Refinement

Post by solosails »

I work with very thin film projects, and find the only way to get the edges to mesh at a reasonable level without making the whole mesh super fine everywhere is to use the feature edge settings available in snappyhexmesh.

When I use cfMesh, the edges are always terrible unless I use very high overall refinement on the entire body.

Appreciate the development without funding! If I had the ability to code, I'd certainly help for free in the programming, and unfortunately I can't really afford to offer anything n the way of financial assistance.

I really do appreciate the wok you guys have provided for free, it is brilliant to see such high level work being distributed for others to make use of, thank you.