Flow simulation of two incompressible fluid streams

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

Sidemountyucatan

Flow simulation of two incompressible fluid streams

Post by Sidemountyucatan »

Dear all,

I have started to check out CFDOf WB (latest available version) and I have got a question to it. Is it possible to define two or more fluid properties in case of interfering fluid streams ? e.g. two incompressible liquids with different fluid properties get into contact and mix.

Thanks for your feedback.

Best Regards

Marcus
oliveroxtoby

Re: Flow simulation of two incompressible fluid streams

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Sidemountyucatan wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:12 pm Dear all,

I have started to check out CFDOf WB (latest available version) and I have got a question to it. Is it possible to define two or more fluid properties in case of interfering fluid streams ? e.g. two incompressible liquids with different fluid properties get into contact and mix.

Thanks for your feedback.

Best Regards

Marcus
You can simulate interacting fluid streams of imiscible substances (e.g. water, air, oil) using the interFoam or multiphaseInterFoam solvers. Miscible substances (that you would need, say, the multiphaseEulerFoam solver for) aren't supported as it stands.
Please provide all the information requested in this post before reporting problems with CfdOF.
Sidemountyucatan

Thx for your feedback ! Just to be sure: The functionality of simulating miscible substances is not
implemented in CFDOf yet, right ? I would have to deal with OPENFOAM directly.

In case of imiscible substances how can I setup the case in Freecad / CfdOf ? I mean, I couldn't
figure out where to choose the solver e.g. interFoam respectively how to define 2 different
fluids.

Do you some informations for me regarding those issues (example, tutorial, link to some other sources, etc.).

Thx a lot !

Best Regards

Marcus
shIxx

Post by shIxx »

Sidemountyucatan wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 6:30 am Thx for your feedback ! Just to be sure: The functionality of simulating miscible substances is not
implemented in CFDOf yet, right ? I would have to deal with OPENFOAM directly.

In case of imiscible substances how can I setup the case in Freecad / CfdOf ? I mean, I couldn't
figure out where to choose the solver e.g. interFoam respectively how to define 2 different
fluids.

Do you some informations for me regarding those issues (example, tutorial, link to some other sources, etc.).

Thx a lot !

Best Regards

Marcus

First you create a model of your entire fluid as one geometry (it could be a solid compound, if I understood that correctly) and then a second geometry (for example, a box) which will later be defined in the analysis as a "Initialization Zone". Now you have to start a transient simulation and select multiphase flow. then add two imiscible fluids (such as water and air) then create an initialization zone and define your box as one of the two fluids under volume fractions and set the value to 1 for 100%

see my attached example file
Attachments
multiPhase.FCStd
(256.04 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
Sidemountyucatan

hi oliveroxtoby,.:
i donwloaded your example but there was the following error-message
0.0: Error writing case:
0.0: 'FeaturePython' object has no attribute 'CaseName'
0.0: Write case setup file failed

how can i fix that ?

Best regards
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Sidemountyucatan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:17 am
Please when asking for help please always add your Help :arrow_forward: About FreeCAD :arrow_forward: Copy to clipboard information (per the forum guidelines).
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Sidemountyucatan wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:17 am hi oliveroxtoby,.:
i donwloaded your example but there was the following error-message
0.0: Error writing case:
0.0: 'FeaturePython' object has no attribute 'CaseName'
0.0: Write case setup file failed

how can i fix that ?

Best regards
There was a slight change in file format since @shlxx created that file. Here is an updated version.
Attachments
multiPhase.FCStd
(249.31 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Please provide all the information requested in this post before reporting problems with CfdOF.
Sidemountyucatan

hi olivertoxoby,

i have a question to a previous email of yours. You wrote (related to case of 2 immiscible fluids):

First you create a model of your entire fluid as one geometry (it could be a solid compound, if I understood that correctly) and then a second geometry (for example, a box) which will later be defined in the analysis as a "Initialization Zone". Now you have to start a transient simulation and select multiphase flow. then add two imiscible fluids (such as water and air) then create an initialization zone and define your box as one of the two fluids under volume fractions and set the value to 1 for 100%

I have a question especially to the Statement "create a model of your entire fluid as one geometry (it could be a solid compound, if I understood that correctly) and then a second geometry …". Does it mean that the entire geometry has to be done twice - one time for considering media 1 and one time just for media 2 - and superimpose them ? And meshed twice ?

Sorry, for the maybe stupid question but i do not really got the point.

Thx !
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Sidemountyucatan wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:45 am hi olivertoxoby,

i have a question to a previous email of yours. You wrote (related to case of 2 immiscible fluids):
It wasn't me who wrote this reply - it was @shlxx.

I have a question especially to the Statement "create a model of your entire fluid as one geometry (it could be a solid compound, if I understood that correctly) and then a second geometry …". Does it mean that the entire geometry has to be done twice - one time for considering media 1 and one time just for media 2 - and superimpose them ? And meshed twice ?
No, you only create one mesh. There is one geometry for the simulation. However, you have the option to initialise the volume fraction field to a certain value in a certain area if you wish to start with a particular initial distribution of the fluids. You do this with (one or more) initialisation zone(s).