Write Mesh times out only with refinement mesh

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

eggy

Write Mesh times out only with refinement mesh

Post by eggy »

I have geometry in the form of an armillary that is setup per the CFD tutorial of the UAV with some necessary modifications.
When I run 'Write mesh' on only the primary mesh, it writes and saves quickly.
When I try to do a 'Refine mesh' and then go to 'Write mesh' it times out. I have tried it with no boundary layers too, but it doesn't help.

I am attaching the FreeCAD file if somebody can review it.
CFDv3-Armillary.FCStd
Armillary file already setup to mesh.
(286.2 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
I would be very grateful for the help here, since the time to try it takes so long, I cannot proceed to learn. I will try running it overnight tonight in case somebody doesn't have the time. Thank you!

Rob
eggy

Re: Write Mesh times out only with refinement mesh

Post by eggy »

I think I found my error.

I was using the 'Shell' object to selcet faces at the mesh refinement stage, but I should have selected 'Slice' object. I will know when it finishes running, but it seems to be progressing with the timer incrementing below now. Thanks anyway!

Rob

[EDIT] - Perhaps I spoke too soon. The timer is still going, but in looking at the macros that come with the tutorial on opensim, it is supposed to be the 'Shell' object for the mesh refinement. I will let it run over lunch, and get back to this.
eggy

Post by eggy »

I stopped it at over an hour.

The opensim documentation and the macros to do the UAV tutorial all pick the 'Shell' so that the UAV is chosen during the mesh refinement (second meshing). I have tried both the 'Shell' which runs and runs, and the 'Slice' object which doesn't even increment the timer in the dialogue box.

The object is made of less than 200 faces from a STEP file. It is about 20 ft in diameter, so near enough to the scale of the UAV that I would think the mesh sizes and defaults would work well. Any tips or hints on how I might proceed? The FreeCAD file is in the first post. Thanks!
eggy

Post by eggy »

I am having no luck.
I have changed the order of operations, the size of the mesh, and the only thing that works with this model is if I only run the initial mesh. Mesh refinement goes on forever, or several hours before I kill it.

I have not tried putting the armillary in the middle of the cube instead of the split, symmetry approach to cut down on processing time.

Any help here would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Rob
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

eggy wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:31 pm I am having no luck.
I have changed the order of operations, the size of the mesh, and the only thing that works with this model is if I only run the initial mesh. Mesh refinement goes on forever, or several hours before I kill it.

I have not tried putting the armillary in the middle of the cube instead of the split, symmetry approach to cut down on processing time.

Any help here would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Rob
For me it meshes in 300s if I increase the base mesh size to 1m.